Very important to everyone EC/PPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very important to everyone EC/PPM

hey guys i stumbled upon a youtuber veggie grower, very educated and he makes the fastest and most informative videos about serious growing ive seen, you will not see any weed in there, but the whole knowledge is right there. super recommended his name is "Everest Fernandez"

so the thing with this video is it explains the whole EC/PPM meter scales confusion in a easy to understand and fun way, new growers come everyday to this forum asking about the same things over and over and many people that dont really understand tries to explain it. im not trying to upset anyone i just noticed this information is very scarse and it would be great if nebula could add it to the site, i know im no one to demand such things so all i can do is bring you guys this video hoping this information will help everybody understand so we can help new growers with real understanding and not just "advices" wich pretty commonly are "do what i do"

Understand the relationship between electrical conductance / conductivity (EC) and TDS meters (PPMs) when measuring the strength of your hydroponics nutrient...

good vibes everyone happy growing

Man, that was awesome. I didn't know any of that,
    I was considering buying a TDS meter this week, but after seeing this it makes me feel like it won't be as useful as I thought..

PS. I haven't seen any stores sell TDS calibration solution. I'm assuming the TDS meter will be practically useless without calibration solution, correct?
    Originally posted by 420n808
    If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      not exactly, unlike ph meter, tds/ec meters stay calibrated for way longer, when you want to calibrate you need to look for the solution used by the manufacturer so the software will function properly. meaning if you buy a NaCl meter you need NaCl solution to calibrate, ill ad a chart to compare scales.

now you know a TDS meters actually measure EC and then converts by software buy one you can afford and have access to the soutions. and when ever you see someone talking ppms ask what EC are they feeding or at least what meter they measure with so you can convert and understand better

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.PNG
Views:	2248
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	68109 This Is the chart

Comment

Legend! Thanks for the info.
      If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Comment

This video, like many of his videos, are good for increasing knowledge about the science of growing.

That being said, what we do, is use our feeding schedule, which is in some measurement (like ml) per gallon. We take a reading with any of the available meters and then go water our plants.
        Depending on how our plants react we give either more, less or the same next time around. When we give less we expect a lower reading on our meter, and if we give more we expect a higher reading.

We keep track of this stuff so our next grow will be better than this grow, hopefully. Notice that I have not mentioned any type of meter because they all work for growing, accurately.

If I am missing something important here, help me out by letting me know what it is.
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• growmore
          growmore commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't want to argue with you but I am correct. I don't need to check online to work out chemistry as I have a degree in biochemistry and currently work as a consultant in plant nutrition, both hydroponics and in ground. Check my earlier post and work out the maths and you will see I am right. If it is easier for you to understand then I will quote in .molecular weights
          N 14.
          H 1
          O 16
          Therefore NH4NO3 has a MW of 80 convert that to a percentage and you come up with the same answer I posted earlier.

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          arite "doc" let me put it in words you understand, you cannot compare two or more different molecules when they have different weights and densities, so grams are out the question, the only thing you can count is how many molecules there are, so a solution with 10g N , 10g P and 10g K is not a 1-1-1 ratio, but a solution with 200ppm of each, no matter how much they weight, is always going to be 1-1-1. im not saying you are not what you say you are, im just saying anyone who took chemistry 101 knows its not the same one gram of gold than a gram of cotton.

• Flockshot
          Flockshot commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is the deal. We are hobby growers and want to enjoy our plants, and our smoke, and our other products. We want any medical benefits we get from our plants.
          We care about what works, period.
          That isn't too much to ask is it?

here are some more charts

this are the most popular meters and the scale they use

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.18.06 PM.png
Views:	783
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	68227

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.18.18 PM.png
Views:	740
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	68226

this are the most common nutrients and theis scales (see how many are calculated with OR water and some with tap water )

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.18.38 PM.png
Views:	963
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	68228

Comment

this is a very misunderstood topic, please help me spread the info

Comment

I don't bother with PPM or EC. I just follow a feed schedule, don't care what the ppm or ec is as long as the plants look happy.
            Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
            600W HPS
            Coco
            GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
            Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
            http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
            http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you.

I just purchased a cheap EC/ppm meter (switches between both). How should I start using it in regards to my grow?
            What should I be trying to accomplish?

I'm reaching the end of week 4 flower btw.
            Cheers.

Comment

you should check your EC going in and out to keep track of the plant´s and medium´s EC, thus understanding how much nutrients are still on the medium, how much to add or to leach, finding the right feeding needs for each plant and avois "nutrient" burn

Comment

So basically just keep a log of the EC going in and out of my plants every time I feed them?
                What about when I give them plain water?

I'll start making notes, the same way I note down the temps and humidity on a daily basis.
                Thanks for the guidance man. We'll figure out what the data is saying after i've collected it. =D

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes that's correct. So when you give plain water (in a soiless medium cause soil has its own nutrients) the plant has no other choice but to eat what inside the leaves and buds. Minerals vitamins chlorophyll and many other compounds get processed instead of being stored. We do it at the end of the cicle so we smoke the less posible

To flush In soil nutrients and minerals in the medium get dissolved and leached out leaving the plant in the same scsenario.

But when you have a young seedling in a hot soil (like fox farm) you give very little EC water (0.2 for example just to keep ph stable) and the nutrients in the soil will be available to the plant. Checking the runoff will tell you when its time to start adding some more

I'm bumping this thread because I couldn't find it when I went looking.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I recommended this info should be on the tutorial section but didn't happen

I'm sure all that stuffs got a place but not with me,I grow in supersoil with just PH water, I'm not smart enough to figure all that stuff out
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

9fingerleafs, Great post and great info thanks for sharing. I really have no clue about my HM Digital TDS meter as it only spits out PPM/TDS, however based on the info I have read in here along with the video, I think it is safe for me to assume that my meter runs the .5 conversion as it certainly uses NaCl as the calibration solution and that seems to be the commonality of all the other meters that calibrate using NaCl..

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
                  ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                    9fingerleafs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    im glad it helps, yes HM digital has lots of models using different scales, i do also have a tds/ppm model using NaCl 500 scale, its pretty standard in america but in europe its not so it creates confusion, thats why its more accured to speak in EC terms

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X