FFOF, "cheap soil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFOF, "cheap soil"

Was just reading an article in Big Buds about flushing before harvest. They mentioned, among others, that if you are using cheap soil like Fox Farm Ocean Forest, you should definitely flush before harvest. I thought FFOF was a good growing medium. What do you guys think and what soil do you use?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

It's definitely the brand that I see mentioned most by growers, but it's less expensive than Kind Soil or Super Soil. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that it sucks.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

I'm doing the Kind soil thing -- the Kind soil goes on the bottom and the rest, I think the Kind soil people recommend filling the rest with FFOF, (I haven't read the page in a while).

So far it has worked for me -- but I'm new and have no other comparisons.

Comment

That's what I'm using, seems to work just fine... It's cheap, but it's a good value.
        I'm a newbie though...

Comment

It's the only soil I have used so I don't have anything to compare.
          DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
          315 LEC
          6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
          6" Carbon filter
          3- 6" fans
          humidifier
          temp and humidity gauge
          5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
          FF trio nutrients

Comment

Cheap soil is free everywhere. FF makes very good quality soil. There might be more expensive ones. But compare it to those bags of "natural" soil you can get for a few bucks or any soil from the ground pretty much everywhere and you'll find what a low quality soil is like

Comment

• PuravidaC
              PuravidaC commented
              Editing a comment
              I use FFOF on GWE's recommendation and have been very pleased with results so I was surprised to see them call it "cheap". It isn't cheap in my area but like you say, there is cheaper soil around that I wouldn't trust!

That's what I got waiting for my grow... I may mix it with coco coir and perlite. Doing research on starting seeds in happy frog because of the lack of added nutrients. But I've read good things about ffof though. I have peppers starting in it now...

Comment

• DingusKhan
              DingusKhan commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been mixing soil into my coco-perlite about 1:1:1 when I'm not doing dwç, plants have done well, and it firms up the medium so it holds wires for training your branches better.

• KingSimon
              KingSimon commented
              Editing a comment
              I've also heard that the ph is a little high. Now I can't find anything about it. How do you use it to hold wires? That is something that I have been wondering about.

• DingusKhan
              DingusKhan commented
              Editing a comment
              I use picture frame wire because I have a giant roll of it. It's insulated (padding), and stiff enough to bend a little hook in one end. I cut about 5-6 inches, bend a little hook in one end around the end of my needle-nose pliers. I poke the straight end of the wire down into the soil under the branch that I want to train, and poke it in until the hook is about the height where I want the branch to sit, and then bend the branch down under the hook.

Sometimes, when I just use coco-perlite, or if I cut the wires too short, the branch will recoil and pull the wire out of the soil because it doesn't have enough grip. Softwire works too, but it's fat and the insulation is very soft, which makes it kinda hard to push into soil.

So that's been a lot of positive thoughts on FFOF. Does anyone have any bad experiences with it?

Comment

Nothing but good to say about it over here

Comment

Has anyone switched from FFOF to Kind Soil? Is there a big difference? Amazon carries both, but one is priced by weight, the other by volume. If their small package is the same size, it appears that Kind Soil is about twice as expensive. Is it worth it?

Won't anyone shout-out for Kind Soil or Super Soil?

Comment

I'm using the kind soil and FFOF on my 2nd grow, on my first -- it was also Kind soil on the bottom and some kind of potting and seed starting soil mixed together with a 1/3 perlite.

So I have 2 northern light auto's (still going from my first grow), One seed sprouted the day after the first and it has lagged behind up until a few days ago. Since seed it was always 2 inches smaller that the first. The first started getting buds and eventually slowed down in growth to 35 inches. The second girl all of a sudden took off in height and is now 2 inches taller than the first -- at 37 inches and the buds are starting to grow.

I might be about 2 to 3 weeks to harvest, and for the most part all I did was Ph'd the water -- watched the heat and humidity. I did in the beginning use a mild mix of VooDoo juice, like every other watering and continued after transplanting for about 2 more waterings.

The only thing I noticed was what I will call a little nut burn on some of the leaves, and I believe that is when it hit the Kind Soil, and then it stopped, like maybe a 1/32 of an inch on some of the leave tips.

So far it has been very easy, basically I found distilled water at Wally World, and the PH on that was 6.5 so I did nothing to it.

Bought the FFOF on Amazon and the Kind Soil from the Kind Soil sight -- At the time the Kind Soil on the Kind Soil Site was the cheapest I could find. But it is more expensive --- But Ilike easy and so far this is very easy.

I think Rockman also uses the kind soil.

I have enough Kind soil for three more girls -- this time in 5 gallon super pots. If all works out I should have enough stash to keep me a while, so I might try using regular potting soil and nut's for 4th grow -- 3rd grow will be outside and I am undecided on that procedure.

If you're looking for easy, this is one way to go.

Hope that helps

Comment

• DingusKhan
                    DingusKhan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks caveman. Those dudes grow some nice dope. I might try it when I finish this bag of ffof.

Ffof was half the price at my local landscaping store than it was on amazon.

Comment

• KingSimon
                    KingSimon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of the only things I ever found more than a few dollars cheaper than amazon...

• yamiacaveman
                    yamiacaveman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I bought my FFOF it was around Christmas and so in my area Amazon was really the only place to shop and of course you pay the price. I just checked the FF website and it looks like they are expanding to local landscaping places, and 1 is not far from me, so I will be checking prices for sure.

• PuravidaC
                    PuravidaC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I found the same thing. FF was cheaper at local landscape store than hydro store but it was Winter when I was ready to get soil and landscape store was out of stock until Spring... 😔

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X