Plant Training Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant Training Questions

After reading through the beginner guide, I see I'm at the point where I must start training my plants to grow low and bushy. I'd like to use the low stress method of just bending the plant over a bit and securing it so the middle stem/leaves get more light.

I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm dealing with. The place in the stem that has the arrow pointing toward it has a nice and strong group of stems and leaves growing, and also there is another set below it a bit and just above it, which is difficult to see due to no light hitting those areas. So, the time has come to bend my plant carefully and expose these leaves and stems to light.

My concern: so, to accomplish this, I would have to bend the plant over so much that the top of the plant will be pointing away from my light source. Is this right? Unfortunately, in my grow area, there isn't any room to put any side lights; I have my fluorescent and LED lights mounted at the top.

Yes that is correct bend it as far over as poss. With out breakage good luck!

Comment

The grow tips on the plant sense light and the plant can bend towards the light based on wich leaves do get light. So a few hours after bending the tips will continue to grow upwards. That's how you calculate how far away the colas are going to be: the taller they are the farthest they gonna be. You must focus on getting them all at kinda the same height so it keeps growing uniformly

Comment

Thanks for the information. I went and tied them down. Since this is my first time growing, it's pretty exciting to reach each next step.

Comment

Howdy morlane, The plant will begin to grow up towards the lights soon after tying it down. I use the LST method and the hardest part is keeping ahead of the plant! Your plant looks healthy and like it is doing well.
          Good luck with Your grow.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Also...as GWE says- do your bending and securing after feed/water. Also, personally I would bend a little above where you have the arrow...GWE has a pic of where.
            good luck and nice plant and question.
            Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
            Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
            GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
            photoperiod feminized seeds
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
            http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Something I've experienced is that it's pretty hard to kill one of these plants-I've splits trunks in half and snapped branches completely in two and if you can splint the damage it will generally heal.
              Be a little adventurous and bend them over-hell, give em a pinch now and then...
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Also for next grows if you haven't already consider topping at least 2 times. Again GWE has the images to get the info.
                i admit...I paced the room before I first topped but prefer it ti FIMIng. You will have more branches to train ( i.e. More collas...more smoke)
                Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
                Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
                GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
                photoperiod feminized seeds
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
                http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Originally posted by Tika View Post
                  i admit...I paced the room before I first topped but prefer it ti FIMIng. You will have more branches to train ( i.e. More collas...more smoke)
                  I'm currently in the pacing stage! I'm pretty happy with what they've done so far. It's bag seed from a reputable medical dealer, so sexing will be an issue pretty soon, but I'm really nervous about topping.

Comment

• Tika
                    Tika commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you look at GWEs picture of when to top it will help. We all I think- needed to grow trees before we realized the benefit of topping...at least I did..then I messed up fimming thinking it better..now I top and in truth I am never sure of exactly where is right but I know for sure I want more than one major colla a lot depends on your space of course. More topping = more training=wider plants.
                    Don't worry..do this grow and you will find your way. I still go back to GWE..read and look again newsletter EVERY SUNDAY, listen to the great help on the forum, do what I am comfortable with and...grow again!!!!
                    PH is major one to me then following nutrient guides, top-1-4 times..etc.
                    I understand pacing..promise

If u top after the sixth node u should have no prob.,and enjoy the grow it sounds like u r .luck

Comment

Hi, on my first grow too, little further ahead. Read the GWE site for any info including pics and go for it! I felt the same way and now I've mainlined my plants, bend, twisted, Fim,ed , defoiliated, broke and mended branches. All on the first grow! You'll be hooked once you see the results!
                    good luck on your grow

Comment

This is really neat! Here's a side-by-side pic of when I tied the plants down, and then by the next morning they did indeed begin to grow up toward the light! I guess you guys know what you're talking about around here ...

Comment

• DW2
                        DW2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        See, the plants know which way to go (or grow!). nice job!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X