grow tent too cold! help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grow tent too cold! help

I have my 4x2 grow tent in my attic. I am using a t5 grow light because of height space. Only have 3 ft. My problem is my tent is already setting about 65 F and winter isn't even here yet. Afraid this will be a real problem when the Temps here drop down to the 20's and teens. Any suggestions? ??

Get a small space heater with a fan. They make thermostats with probes on a wire that's about 7 feet long. I think they are called "c.a.p. Temp1" Google search that and they should pop up. The probe goes in the tent. Get 6 inch dia flexible ducting attach it to the heater and put the other end in the tent. Plug the heater into the thermostat then plug the thermostat into the wall. Set the temp and your tent will alway be at the perfect temp

Comment

Patoon or platoon can't exactly remember the name but they are a small metal heater. Gray they sell them at Walmart. They work good for a heater

Comment

I'd recommend an oil filled electric radiator if you have low humidity. It gets dry in the winter here.

Comment

Cold attic in the winter, that may be a tough one. I'd suggest growing autos that have a much shorted life span and coordinating with the seasons. Sorry I can't help, just feeling your frustration. Good luck!

Comment

You could try getting some old blankets you don't use and drape them over the tent to insulate it a bit the get a small heating unit and a humidifier put both on low, wait 30 min and see how it goes, if need be turn the heat or whatever needed up and check every 30 min or so till perfect. that what I would try anyways

Comment

I appreciate the input everyone. I have considered putting insulation around tent. The heater idea is something I have considered just worried about leaving a space heater in my attic. The thermostat is a good idea aaron, I may try that.

Comment

• Royal Nugs
                Royal Nugs commented
                Editing a comment
                I still think a radiator is your best bet. It's radiant heat so it doesn't heat and dry out the air like a coil heater.

It won't catch fire because there isn't 350 degree coils in it.

Worst case scenario it shorts out and dies.

Paid $30 for mine and it heats my 4x4x6.5 just fine. No thermostat but you can add one like Aaron mentioned. I just played with the settings and figured it out after 2 or 3 days.

I have been researching the heater and thermostat idea. Any suggestions on how to connect duct to the heater?

Comment

• Grower-Aaron
                Grower-Aaron commented
                Editing a comment
                The metal bodied platoon one you can take a flange, attach the flange to the ducting then take sheet metal screws into the case of the heater holding the flange in placr

I believe that your temperature issue is bigger than it may appear. If you are at 65F and expecting temps to drop another 30F from here, that is a big deal. You are only 5F above where your plants will suffer significantly right now. If you go to electric heat alone to try and solve this problem it will be a very expensive. Attics are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Without good insulation and air circulation from the house (warm air) you may not be able to grow in that particular spot.
              As was mentioned above, auto flower strains in the spring and fall might work when outdoor temps are moderate but summer and winter could be challenging.

completed 7 grows
              what I have learned so far:
              environment maters more than nutrients
              at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
              effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

I do not know if I will ever need it, But I installed a aquarium heater in the bottom of my res. I use a 600 watt light so tent temp no problem. We only get 4 days a year below 32 here.

Comment

I like to add CFL's- because as you get the benefit of heat and usable light. This would only work for Veg or with auto's.

A common solution is to have the lights ON during the night when it's the coldest and OFF during the day.
                  It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Hello Snaz

I'm running in colder temps and right now my babies are in a tent with t5 lights and I keep them at 24 hr. in veg , so the tent is always warm but on 12/12 my water in the morning would be 62 at the lowest but warms with the halide light.
                    Heat rises isn't your attic warm in the winter my upstairs is hot right now.
                    Bubblehead
                    4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
                    4 Cures and a Life time gardener
                    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
                    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

I started a grow last month out doors (in doors technically) in a raised shed with poor insulation. As soon as I saw too much variation from 85 to 65 during the night I went into attack mode. I insulated with regular lowes pink wall insulation. Not enough- so I created a small room within the room of reflectix. And I saw a small heatwave during a week- and had temps reaching 90s! OWGAWD what did I do im thinking. So I did it myself again and made some pc fans intake and outtake within the new room structure. Stabilized temps again- then temps dropped again to the 50s- and my intake fan was sucking up cold air within the room - so I shut down all fans for exhaust and intake- and now leave it as is. With the canopy fans running, 1 300w led and 1 4bulb 2 foot T5 Ho im clearly dialed in right now holding at 70 degrees at night - with 45 outside temps. So I figured out how to contain the heat- and exhaust it if need be. Now the smell

I guess my point is- be careful - especially in an attic with a heater. But look at what you can do to fix the cold issue- perhaps a simple reflectix structure around the tent that is somewhat air tight will contain whatever heat you do get in that tent- like a double boiler

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X