Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pheno Hunt Begins Bubblelicious @ Nirvana seeds 2017

Intro

So far I have done just fine with fem seeds and the occasional clone that finds its way to me, but now I am in a place where I can get down to some pheno hunting and find exactly what it is I’m looking for.

My chosen stain was Bubblelicious after smoking it way back in the late 90’s, I still remember that distinct pink bubblegum flavour and smell. Every now and then some bubblegum does pop up but it's mostly poor quality compared to what I produce. That's not to say the growers don’t know what they are doing but these guys are just cash croppers so quality is always second to quantity. What I’m looking for is something different, something just a little bit special and I invite you along for the ride.

What lead me to choose Bubblelicious by Nirvana seeds over the other bubblegum strains?
    Well a few years back I decided to try my hand at some auto’s since I got them free with an order, knowing very little about auto at the time (and still not really up to speed with them) I just threw a few in the vegging tent and away they went. Now one of these amazing LITTLE ladies (you see the emphasis on little), was in fact an auto version of Bubblelicious by Nirvana seeds. when it was all cured I sampled it and all the memories of the Bubblelicious I had smoked back in the 90’s came rushing back. Now here the catch remember how I said LITTLE, well after a few days I was out of Bubblelicious and that was the end of that. I had run the autos on 24 hours based on the little information I had gathered and didn’t really spend any time caring for them but that's another story altogether.

Well anyway that's how we ended up here so without further ado lets move on to the set up.

Setup

I will be running the seedlings under T5 for the first few weeks then they will be moved under a couple of Mars Hydro LED’s for the rest of the veg period.

Due to the number of these I am running I don’t think I will be taking any clones and plan to reveg the original seedlings after flowering them out. It’s not idea but saves me holding on to a high number of plants while I’m finding that keeper. Once reveged I will sample the final product and select the best few mothers take clones and flower them out to find my queen.

When we move to flower they will be under some 315w CDM’s how many is yet to be worked out all depends how many males we find along the way. Now I’m not looking to start a breeding project as I am happy to leave that to the guys with more experience in that field so any males will be culled at first sight.

Not 100% sure on whether I will be using pots or buckets still waiting on my last experiment to finish (pots vs hempy’s using soil as the medium).

Potting The Seeds

So we start with 30x regular Bubblelicious @ Nirvana seeds. I would normally take extra special care at this point to try to hit that 100% germ rate but given the nature of the hunt i’m not looking for the runts and only the strongest will survive. Bearing that in mind the seeds got labelled, thrown down into some dirt, watered and left to their own devices.

Not really much to see but figured I should start as I mean to go on so here are the first pictures.

I will update when the first beans sprout.

look forward to going on this adventure with you guys who knows what we will find.

I just started a grow here: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ew-england-usa
    I have not seen consistent results with Nirvana auto BU- but the buds have been good quality and reasonable yield for my setup.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I just started these three, all seeds came from seed supreme, the 2 larger are a chocolate skunk and the smaller is a Bubblelicious, all Auto's

The 2 chocolate popped 4 days ago, the one chocolate opened about 6 hrs after the big one. The big one is the one in the back, and well the leaves are way past the edges of the cup and it might be ready for it's topping?

The Bubblelicious, came a day later and seems to be struggling a little bit. But it is on par with my 2 auto northern lights that are turning out great.

So time will tell.

Good luck

Comment

• NebulaHaze
        NebulaHaze commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope your plants are doing well! I'm just curious, what was your experience with Seed Supreme as a seed bank?

Love that shelf in your tent, do you use it to scrog too?
      I have a Bubble auto going right now. I look forward to another interesting journal
      Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

Originally posted by Weed Pharma View Post
        I just started a grow here: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ew-england-usa
        I have not seen consistent results with Nirvana auto BU- but the buds have been good quality and reasonable yield for my setup.
        To be fair I am counting on some inconsistencies that's why I’ve done so many seeds and that's where I’m hoping to get my special mother from. If the seeds are really consistent then there would be less chance of me finding something a bit special. Will be sure to check in on your grow you never know I may find a similar pheno.

Originally posted by yamiacaveman View Post
        I just started these three, all seeds came from seed supreme, the 2 larger are a chocolate skunk and the smaller is a Bubblelicious, all Auto's

The 2 chocolate popped 4 days ago, the one chocolate opened about 6 hrs after the big one. The big one is the one in the back, and well the leaves are way past the edges of the cup and it might be ready for it's topping?

The Bubblelicious, came a day later and seems to be struggling a little bit. But it is on par with my 2 auto northern lights that are turning out great.

So time will tell.

Good luck
        I have topped photoperiod plants at that size even smaller to be fair but with very little real experience with auto’s I’m unsure when would be the best time to top them. They are all looking nice and healthy be sure to keep us to date looking for all the info on Bubblelicious phenos I can find at the minute could help me work out what I have in the early stages.

Originally posted by Beach_Town_Brit View Post
        Love that shelf in your tent, do you use it to scrog too?
        I have a Bubble auto going right now. I look forward to another interesting journal
        Haha no scrog for me this is my vegging tent its a Secret Jardin Lodge can’t remember the size but when I last set it up I set it up wrong and the shelf is supposed to be much lower down just didn’t have it in me to pull it all down again to put it right. I normally do clones/seeds on the top shelf under the shelf I put my bonsai mothers, and veg in the main area think its around 3ftx3ft. Then before I switch to flower give them a week of 2 veg in the main flower area (2.4x1.2 ish ). This time round I actually have 4 plants in 6 gallon pots that have been vegging (and being abused for ages) I was supposed to run them last time but they needed more veg time and I was running low on smoke so I made some clones from my stardawg mother and gave them 2 weeks to root 2 weeks veg and they are coming along nicley. Just struggling to keep the 4 big ones in veg under control lol.

Comment

Looks like #06 is the first one to pop its head up to say hello, followed closely by #04, then #23 and even though you can’t really see it in the pic #12 has just about broke the dirt to.

T5 Is now on 24/7 for the next 2 weeks or so then will be moving them under a MarsHydro running the GLR to get them to show sex.

In around 5-6 weeks I will have some space in the flower room as my Stardawg should be finished. I have no journal on the Stardawg, did want to get one going but it was all a bit rushed as I was running out of smoke. I also have a Sour Kosher, Green Crack, Honey Banana & Fruity Chronic Juice in veg. This is what I was supposed to be flowering now but they needed a bit more time. I was planning to flower them straight after the Stardawg is finished, depending on how many ladies we find in the Bubblicious I might have enough space to flower them both at the same time. I just got a little excited when my Bubblicious arrived that I popped them all didn’t really think the rest through but we will figure it out along the way.

Now I’m not going to spend too much time posting about the Stardawg but I do figure its worth posting a little about it so why not post it here. So here's a bit of info, I was running out of smoke fast and knew my other stuff in veg wasn’t going to be ready to flower, so I took 25ish clones from my Stardawg mother and rooted them. Now after having previous success using hempy buckets in the past and knowing I had little time to veg I potted 10 Stardawg in 5L hempy’s and another 10 in the same 5L buckets with holes drilled in the bottom just like a normal pot. Since my last run in coco I have removed all chemical nutes from the grow room and am sticking to organic where ever possible, so I figured lets see what hempy’s are like with dirt. I love a good side by side and found lots of questions about soil hempy’s but very little solid information so figure why not.

Ok enough of the rambling, I did say I wasn’t going to get into this too much so time for a quick pic this is on day 30 the 2 trays on the left are the soil hempy’s and the 2 trays on the right are the pots. I have 3x 315 CDM’s covering them 2x Agro’s and 1x Daylight in the middle.

Comment

Very interessting Konvert! Love this idea and I'm eager to follow you in your process

Comment

what Xaliuz said....i love side by sides!
              "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Originally posted by Xaliuz View Post
                Very interessting Konvert! Love this idea and I'm eager to follow you in your process
                Cheers dude hope I can live up to expectations lol.

Originally posted by bobsakamoto View Post
                what Xaliuz said....i love side by sides!
                Cheers dude will definatly keep the side by side updated along the way its just not my main focus, at the minute I'm all about pheno hunting haha.

Comment

Well just a quick update as not much has happened yet but 72 hours later and we have 30 out of 30, most popped up within 24 hours of the first ones, had a few stragglers that took 72 hours but 100% germination rate so who’s complaining. A few of them did need a little help removing the seed and the membrane holding the pod leave together.

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
                    Beach_Town_Brit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's wonderful, a great start to the race

Aight guys so I’ve moved the Bubblelicious to a new location for a while as I has having some issues with temperature (not with the Bubblelicious but with the StarDawg). I say issues as I like to keep my max temp around 27, the T5 was raising the room temp by 1-2 degrees the plants didn’t really seem to mind but 28 is the max I like them to hit with 27 making me happy. When I set up my extract I set it up based on 2x 315w and temps where rock solid @ 25 since adding another 315w I could really do with making some adjustments to my extract but that will have to wait a little while.

Once the Bubblelicious has rooted out the cups they are in they will be moved to 100% soil hempy’s made from 2L bottles. Heres a few pics of the how the Bubblelicious are looking at the minute. We have one that seems to be struggling but we will give it time. I have had quite a few seedlings that have a hard time breaking the shell and they often end up stunted, if this does happen I will take a clone and run it at some point after the rest of the Bubblelicious as the clones from stunted mothers tend to do just fine.

Ok back to business so today the StarDawg is on day 37 and its time for a haircut. So I went in lopped off a tiny bit from all the main tops to stop fox tailing and make the buds grow back down and fill out a bit more, I can’t say for sure if this does in fact increase yields but it defiantly gives you a more attractive bud at the end.

And a quick pic of the StarDawg because why not lol.

Attached Files

Comment

• Xaliuz
                    Xaliuz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haven't heard about topping buds yet but it makes sence

Nice looking plants! I've heard of others doing that with their buds and getting good results, but haven't had a chance to see it in action yet! Can't wait

Comment

So a few days ago I had a massive nightmare, lets just say I was somewhat distracted when I was mixing the nutes. A couple of hours after watering I went to check on my ladies and noticed a tiny bit of clawing on the StarDawg and realised my mistake instantly (put grow in, instead of bloom). So off to the bathroom we went 6 hours later they where all flushed out, left them for the day with just water. Next day I mixed up the correct nutes with less distractions than last time round and it looks like things are recovering nicely.

Incase anyone was wondering the 10L bucket at the front is a Candy Kush Auto that I threw in 12/12 from seed we will have to see how things go from here.

So I also have a few other things in veg back let is DNA Genetics Sour Kosher have ran it multiple time and always stretches like the bitch she is lol, so I have tried to keep her as short as I possibly can. Back Right is Humboldt Seeds Green Crack came from a seedling that had topped itself at birth (got itself stuck in it’s shell and never really recovered) looked just like the bubblelicious that struggling and even after months of growth best thing I could do was take a clone that looks like it’s doing fine to me. Front left is Elemental Seeds Honey Banana, I have grown this before but it was in coco, it tasted like straight hash and smells like hash too hoping to bring out some different flavours this time round in dirt, did I forget to mention this this is STRONG like seriously strong will add a couple of bud shots if I can find them so much frost. Front right is Delicious Seeds Fruity Chronic Juice, I have ran this a few time before each time from seed and so far it has been extremely stable with all seeds producing plants that look like twins, the smoke has cold feeling to it you know like when you smoke menthol cigs and you get that cold feeling on inhale, well this doesn’t taste like menthol at all but you get that cold feeling every time you take a hit, not the strongest but great for making blunts.

The others in the smaller pots where things I was keeping as mothers but I have since had a change of heart and decided I am going to pollenate them with some pollen from any male bubblelicious I may fine, So we have a StarDawg (will still be keeping my re vegged mother not pictured) THC Bomb was a decent smoke just not really my thing. Sour Kosher I have other seeds so not to bothered about preserving this one. If I do manage to get some decent flavours out of the honey banana I can always re veg.

Now after all that back to the main event heres a few of the Bubblelicious, not much really happened with them just yet, few more cocktail sticks to support them till they get repotted also added a couple more 2x Sour Lemon OG + 2x Cherry OG both reg seeds got them on the attitude freebies figured why not throw them in while I’m at it. Any males I get I plan on labelling and freezing the pollen, then destroying the male.

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
                      Editing a comment
                      Big Dawgs there Kovert, going to be a fine harvest.

• kovert420
                      kovert420 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      cheers buddy still got at least 21 days left so they should still pack on a bit of weight

Well until a few days ago I had been feeding them all at the same time but we have a few greedy bitches that are drinking more than the rest. No 04 was one of the first to pop and it drinking me dry, not really sure when No 05 popped but again its drinking and No 16 is drinking a lot too. Now these are some of the biggest plants so far but the actual biggest one is No 06 but s/he doesn’t seem to be drinking much at all.

I know some of you may find this a bit boring but it interests me how they have all had the same start in life and yet are all starting to show differences. They have all had the same amount of water yet some are drinking more, and this isn’t just related to size as No 06 is also one of the biggest yet didn’t need watering yet. The light has been at the same distance but some are taller than others

Now I know its been a while since the last update mostly because I got lazy but partly because this is going to be a big update very picture heavy. Until now there wasn’t really too much to see but things are starting to take shape nicely now and starting to get an idea on the structure of each different plant.

I currently don’t have enough dirt to repot should have it by next week so look forward to another big update when they get repotted. Once repotted I will give them a few more days on 20/4 before switching to the GLR light schedule so I can find my ladies and get them repotted once again. For the males well I have a few spare ladies that they can pollenate not sure which way I’m going with this may collect pollen and be specific or may just leave them in the same area and let nature take its course.

So anyway here goes with the images and good luck if you don’t have fiber lol.

As always a quick update on the StarDawg they where day 46 in the pics. Ha d couple with burnt tops so had to move the light a little oooops.

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks good Kovert. I burned one mine a bit last week too, all part of the fun

One pheno to the next within a strain seems to make a big difference. I have two Blue Mystic Autos growing at the moment, they look like completely different plants one tall and bushy, the other tall and stout, one with sativa like leaves the other with big broad leaves.

You plants look great! You mentioned you like seeing how different plants grow in the same conditions, so I thought you might like this little picture gallery showing an Indica vs a Sativa plant growing in the same setup. One plant ended up with almost 1.5x the yields as the other!

Comment

• kovert420
                      kovert420 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yes that what I'm expecting to see from these it looks to me like I already have some indica dominant and sativa dominant phenos there so will be interesting to see how they differ when growing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X