When is it too late to top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it too late to top?

The attached pics are of four plants inside a 4x4x7'11" tent. All 100% sativa from Ace seeds. The grow details are in the signature. These girls will get real tall. My last experience with these plants was they tripled in size during the stretch and I lost control of them. They're 8 days from the switch to 12/12. So far I've spread them out and have been tying them down. I'm considering topping them again but I've never done it this late in a grow. I've been reading about topping to control height but I either can't remember or have not read about when it may be too late to do it. My gut tells me it's already too late but IDK. I prolly have about two more feet of growing space and these girls will want all of it. I'm also considering a 11/13 or a 10/14 light schedule. I can super crop as a last resort but last time they grew another 18" after and it didn't work out that well for me. Any guidance is appreciated.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
    Autopot system
    : 1 Purple Haze/Malawa 100% Sativa Ace Seeds 1 Strawberry Cough ILGM
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 2 Purple Haze/Malawi & 2 Malawi 100% Sativa Ace seeds
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

I don’t have a good answer for you , but I feel your pain. My instinct says the same as yours, it may be too late to top, I suppose you could top everything and let it veg another few weeks??
    I grow mostly “sativas” and struggle with hight. To make it worse my light seems to require a pretty high hanging hight or it causes light stress. I just keep trying to train harder and flip earlier.
    KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
    Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
    Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
    Maybe some compost teas
    Blumat watering system
    Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
    3x4x6’ tent
    Photontek 465wpro
    6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
    Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

You’re growing in cloth pots. I’d spend $20 on LST tools, attach the safety pins to the perimeter of your pot for anchors and use the soft ties to gently pull the plants down as much as possible. They look pretty hard and woody so you’ll definitely have to supercrop them. I’d pull them down as much as possible then cut some tops off

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        might want some tape...for damage repair when you bend them down...the node spacing looks goods...must have lights close... -

I hadn’t thought of safety pins. I have not come up with an easy way to tie down to the cloth pot. The pins are a good idea. I have the soft tie material. I use that to make an eye hook. Then attach some twist tie material to that. The thinner twist tie weaves through the plant a little easier than the soft ties. At least for me.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
      Autopot system
      : 1 Purple Haze/Malawa 100% Sativa Ace Seeds 1 Strawberry Cough ILGM
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 2 Purple Haze/Malawi & 2 Malawi 100% Sativa Ace seeds
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X