Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitrogen Fertilizer and Soil Organic Matter: What Does the Evidence Say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrogen Fertilizer and Soil Organic Matter: What Does the Evidence Say?

Nitrogen Fertilizer and Soil Organic Matter: What Does the Evidence Say? | CSANR | Washington State University (wsu.edu)​

go ahead and tell us

Comment

I'll ask the ladies in about a hour and 6 min... after turning on the light and watering... 😅

Comment

Read it but basically what it says is that, no, in moderate amounts Nitrates don't kill your soil biology. If anything, they help the biology. Granted too much of anything will depress microbial life but as long as you aren't dumping tons of salt nutes into your soil it's actually beneficial to your organic soil.

One of the takeaways I read was that organic soil doesn't have enough N in it to be able to feed the microbes meaning either deficiencies or, at best, slower growth. This is where immediately available N ions can help bolster the microbial activity and actually boost the microbial and fungal colonies in the soil. Feeding synthetic nutrients will also help in keeping enough N in the soil for the plants to take up.

Many pros are starting to come around to using organic soil with synthetic nutrients. Some of the major youtube weed channels are suggesting this also. Dr, Bruce Bugbee discussed this also and likes that combination.

I do it with the intent of not running out of nutrition for the plants but it was more intuition than scientific corroboration. I'm starting to see my intuition being confirmed by science. It's also why I don't go full strength when I feed. 1/2 strength synthetic and if the plants want more then the soil biology is there to take up the slack.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed

All my outdoor grows using soil of varying quality in pots I added kelp extract to lift the N throughout late veg to a week or two before harvest. Once every 14 days to once every 7. Even with the best soil in large pots she would typically show fade too early in their cycle. In the large garden beds no additional nutes or suppliments required.
        Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
        Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
        Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
        Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
        Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X