Defoliation in flowering to lower humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defoliation in flowering to lower humidity

So I'm in Autopots, with excellent air movement, day 40 of flowering Epic Buzz photos. Things are looking great. But the humidity I can't get under 60 %. I've tried everything to lower it and the only ways are a dehumidifier which I've tried many times but I don't want that because of the heat. So my other option is defoliation. I did this at day 20. But I need to do more. I've held off doing this and am apprehensive to do more right now. As the buds are filling out. I didn't want it to stress them and effect yield. The plants are healthy and are stacking lovely. I know defoliation has fans and haters. But im left with no other option due to where i live. When do you guys think I can defoliate with the least negative effects?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gaz21; 05-13-2024, 05:49 PM.

As long as you have good air circulation, 60% is fine. I'm coastal and seasonally run higher than 80%.
    Defoliation during flowering is good because it helps get light and air to all your flowers. Take a look at the GWE website for some good information.
    Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gaz21
      Gaz21 commented
      Editing a comment
      OK. I'll try and find something. I did type in defoliation in the search bar on the forum page but nothing happened. Maybe a glitch on my end. Thankyou

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Not the forum page. The main GWE website.
      Were those my plants, they would have lost all their major fans weeks ago.

Humidity is going to be higher using AutoPots since the medium is always moist so you’ll need a humidifier in the room OUTSIDE your tent to get the humidity down before the air even enters. Otherwise you’ll always have high humidity.

60% is no concern with proper airflow at any stage but if you want to optimize THC production you’ll need to lower through flower.

Plastic pots also have lower humidity than fabric ones in AutoPots

Comment

You definitely can afford to defoliate which would be helpful to those lovely ladies in it's own right. I start strategic defoliation at around 45 weeks and continue through the next thirty days or so. I don't follow a schedule but rather try to provide what the plant needs. You will get lower humidity, better light penetration and overall bigger, better buds. Start by reading about defoliation on the GWE site then remove all of the big fan leaves.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Taking the fan leaves will help with the humidity. I grow in autopots with cloth pots. Humidity is not a problem if you are able to follow bboyfromwayback's advice. I've been there. Had a dehumidifier in the tent, it was a hassle and didn't really help. But I did lose two of my biggest flowers to mold two grows back because of high humidity (middle 60's). I thought I had good airflow but didn't. Lesson learned though. I use a dehumidifier in the lung room to keep the RH in the 50's lights on and anywhere in the 40's lights off. Defoliating def helps. I'm like you, I don't want to overdo it but the plants respond well when the big fans are taken. I'm not real good at following a defoliating schedule. On Photo's I take the big leaves about 2-3 weeks after the flip and again a few weeks after that. Before the second defole I like to see the plant using the energy stored in the fans. When the discoloration overtakes about half the leaf I pluck it. Your plants look great.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
        Autopot system
        : Malawai 100% Sativa Ace Seeds x 2
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Purple Haze/Malawi x 3/Ace Seeds Purple Haze x 1 ILGM
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Great airflow through the buds is key and a stroke of good fortune. If you grow large buds check for mold every day, it seems to start around the stalk and moves outwards. Check for discolouring sugar leaves, if you find some that's where to open it up and check. Harvest early if required.
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
          Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
          Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X