Leaves growing spots, drooping then eventually drying out and dyong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Leaves growing spots, drooping then eventually drying out and dyong

As stated in the title, one of my plants is starting to get darkened leaves that will droop until seemingly wrinkling up and just dying. I've tried multiple nutrient deficiency solutions, repotting, watering in different ways, flushing and still have had to watch leaves wrinkle and die off slowly. I grabbed some Dr. Earth Final Stop insect killer because I noticed spider mites on one of the others that was starting to transfer over, however, when applied it seemed to have sped this process up for the plant I'm speaking of. It went from slowly drying and wilting over a few weeks to losing nearly half or more of all the fan leaves simply overnight after its first application of Dr. Earth. Out of Google searches because it keeps bringing up the same solutions that didn't work prior, any help is awesome!

Pictures of the leaves and what they look like below, along with a picture of the plant itself.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20240512_202252.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	621979 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240512_202300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	621980 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240512_202349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	621981
    Last edited by MrBuddither; 05-12-2024, 10:30 PM.

We need pictures. And specific details to be able to help
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• MrBuddither
      MrBuddither commented
      Editing a comment
      I accidently posted before I finished it lol just finished editing and added the pictures and all. Apologies!

I grow using pretty simple, rudimentary stuff as well. Just average soil, home remedy stuff for nutrients, water that I checked the Ph of (a nice 6.5 to 7 for what kit I used) from the tap and simple soapy water as insect protection, up until the Dr. Earth I got for these spider mites that is. The plant that has the spider mites has been removed from the group so no more transfers can happen, at least I hope lol I don't think it's mites on this plant, as I can't see enough to really cause any issues. A few on some fan leaves but I seem to have caught it pretty early thankfully. The other plant they started on wasn't so lucky lmao I'm in Cali, can't grow outdoors sadly due to mass amounts of wind where I'm at along with heavy sun and no protection of any kind for too much sun, so I'm indoors next to a window for now as that was the best method. Currently planning a backyard greenhouse, so hopefully that'll help with any issues related to heat and lighting if there are any. Could be what's wrong, I'm just not experienced enough to tell and need help!
    Last edited by MrBuddither; 05-12-2024, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I don't know what your temperature, humidity, light, or nutrient measurements are. Average soil? Watering schedule?

Without knowing all of the above it's difficult to work out the problem/s.

I can't see any spider mites problems exactly.
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
      Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
      Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I'm a bit new to this only doing it about two or three times before so I couldn't be super exact with nutrient levels, I can only say I used stuff like coffee grounds, egg shells and so on whenever issues presented and an extensive Google search helped identify. As for soil, just whatever cheap stuff I could find at my local stores like Scott's potting soil or Miracle Gro. Humidity I would say is the average for a house like 40% to 60% since it's just in the kitchen area, watering schedule at the moment has been every 3 days or if they noticeably droop/soil is bone dry and clearly need it. Temps are around 80s outside, but with a fan running inside I've manage low 70s with a breeze over them. They're around 4 months old and the infestation of spider mites actually came from another one, that one transfered a few over to this one but I caught it early and seemingly have stopped it from spreading, will be EXTENSIVELY checking though haha

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Coffee grinds are not good for plants....unless completely composted. They are rumoured to keep snails away when sprinkled on top around the base of the plant.

Your temps and humidity 75 to 80F is pretty good and 60%RH at that stage.

Your choice of soil is likely a problem.

Watering every 3 days maybe too much depending on pot size temps humidity. Once a week for that size plant indoors is maybe fine in soil.

The soil + nutes I think is smashing it with N. They are dark green and curling like it.

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        Will definitely flush them one more time then, because one of them has been showing that darkening and clawing consecutively throughout its life WAY more obviously than this one and when I looked it up, it kept giving me that along with watering issues, too much or too little so likely a combination of watering and an excess of Nitrogen, given that's what you mentioned it makes sense as well. If I can also manage some new, better soil ill also repot cuz looking at the old bags I used, they do have Nitrogen as a main keynote for their advertisement on it lmao

I usually don't put too much, just a pinch and it's been dried and sat for awhile, but not properly composted so I won't add anymore for sure lol thank you, the help is tremendous! The jokes from everyone are hilarious as well 😂 keeps me in a lighter mood about the plants when I've been stressing over them slowly going down.

Also put them in the sun today, found a good spot away from the winds so, should be good with sun. No more crappy window pane light for them 😂
        Last edited by MrBuddither; 05-14-2024, 04:19 PM.

Just average soil - something you dug up out of the yard? Or?
      home remedy stuff for nutrients - urinating in the pot? Or?
      Dr. Earth I got for these spider mites that is - I would not use this in flower, needs more studies to show it is safe to smoke.
      For the borg I use either spinosad or ISO (mixed with water at 1 part ISO to 8 parts water), same directions for both, spray the underside first then the top side, the soil, floor walls everydamnthing. Repeat every 3 days for at least 3 treatments, then watch for the return.
      From here it does look like a bug issue (though I see no webbing, yet), look them over with at least a 30x zoom, under side of leaves. The borg is hard to get rid of and spreads fast. IF these were outside I would say get ladybugs! In fact you may want to do that anyway, less of them outside to come inside.
      Good luck!

Comment

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        Soils is just cheap stuff I could find at stores, Miracle gro and Scott's potting soil mostly. Home remedies include stuff like coffee grounds, ground up eggshells and stuff like that. Though the other idea sounds enticing 😂 I really just grabbed the safest looking stuff I could from local stores in my area as they kind of suck here as I'm in a tiny town, like the Dr. Earth. I wanted diatomaceous earth but couldn't find any where I live and didn't want to wait for delivery but I may have too lol

I'll definitely try the ISO or spinosad, I've looked at them extensively under a really good magnifying glass many times and from what I see from stuff online after you saying that, they look very similar to the borg mite so it's likely that that's what I'm dealing with. Thank you for the input, it's super helpful!

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Miracle grow potting soil IF its the organic version is ok, if not then it has time release crap in it, not good.
        BTW, spinosad should not be used on flowers either.

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe the Miracle Gro was organic, the Scott's I'm not too sure of though, I'd say it likely wasn't but they started out in that and actually seemed fine. All of my plants are in both Miracle Gro and or the Scott's, or a mix of both so that hasn't really been the issue, I don't think anyways. Could be root rot or something else slowly creeping up, let's hope not 😂😭

What those people said.
      -and-
      Is that the normal location for your plant? I'm looking at what sort of light is coming through what sort of glass that is and the weatherproofing.
      αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        For now it is, but im setting a greenhouse up in my backyard soon. Not a great spot in the picture I know but it was the best place for it as my area is very, VERY windy and I put the strongest one outside and it collapsed under the pressure so, yeah haha no outdoors for these gals. The windows just an average house pane, picture was taken late so no sun out but it gets a decent amount. We have little to no shade in the back so the sun peers through for a solid 5 to 7 hours, maybe 8 on a good day.

Average.
      Average in my apartment means the cheapest product available that would pass code a decade ago, installed by new-hires from the Home Depot Parking Lot Labor Force (HDPLLF.). Rwise lives in an 1890's Greek revival with windows from a quality 1950's remodel. Bluey lives in a 1970's single wide former crack house with butcher paper window and chicken wire for security. What is average?
      Windows can be bad for plants. At least, they may not be as good as you think. My first thought was your plant looks like it needs more light. 8 hours in front of a window with even a low E-rating does not provide for a decent amount of light.
      Looking at the bottom of your window jamb, you might have or had air exchange going on that can affect your little micro-environment. Mainly humidity.
      Is that snow in your backyard? How cold does your plant get?
      αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang Gingerbeard I laughed out loud. HDPLLF? That's funny! Yeah? Just what is average? Do thy have mobile homes in Australia? I thought Oklahoma had the market for those things.

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        Any home is a mobile home when you live in tornado alley, golfnrl

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could like replies golfnrl 😂😂 but yeah, the soils just cheap junk I bought from local stores for 10 bucks lol need to order proper stuff on Amazon. Would've done the same just digging some dirt up from my yard I imagine lol

I know your getting hit with a lot of info. Definitely get rid of the Scott's and miracle grow soil. Or any soil that has fertilizer mixed in. Use Fox Farm Ocean Forest. (FFOF) You can buy it at the big box store or Amazon.

Get a note book and start a grow journal for your plants. Record dates, watering, feeding, problems, treatments, ect.
      SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
      AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series
      3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake
      Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        I do take notes, most of its from memory but important stuff, like the mites and their progressions i document. And it's all good. I completely expected it 😂 either way, thank you. The soil I've been using is just cheap stuff I found like I been saying, Miracle Gro and Scott's stuff lol I'm not rolling in cash so, can't exactly splash on expensive, nice soil or general equipment other than the cheaper stuff. 🤷 I didn't even want to get the Dr. Earth a small spray bottle was nearly $20 but nothing else would help the mites, so.
        Last edited by MrBuddither; 05-13-2024, 03:50 PM.

• MrBuddither
        MrBuddither commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll see if I can't look around and find something actually specified for growing stuff like this with the soil like the FFOF you mentioned, though. This one could use the love 😂 it's the biggest one I have. I'm fine with spending on the needed, just also trying to save what little money I do have lmao
        Last edited by MrBuddither; 05-13-2024, 04:30 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240514_143803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	622151 The one that originally caught the spider mites and got decimated before I noticed it was the mites 😭 if anyone was curious, this is the little one that passed them off to the bigger one lmao

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240514_143843.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	622152 And here's the full 6 if anybody has any input on the others, found a good spot away from wind with a tarp up to block, so no more window pane light lmao Also noticing possible Nitrogen excess in most of them now that one of you guys mentioned it. Theres the two new ones about a month old along with 4, 4-5 month old big ones. All grown the same as the main one mentioned in this thread.

Thank you all for the help and the jokes 😂 the stress of watching money slowly die like this isn't fun, having people to lighten the mood is a huge help, much love!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X