Question about choice of strain,and timing for an outdoor/indoor grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about choice of strain,and timing for an outdoor/indoor grow

I'm currently on day 10 of my first-ever grow with three autoflower strains (I have a separate post on that grow).

I'd like to start another grow, once the first one is into the final pots and in the grow tent. I have some fem, photoperiod Blue Dream seeds that Seed Supreme sent as a freebee, and I might try using these.

I'm thinking of moving the second grow outside (after seedling stage), because my one tent will still be occupied by the first grow. In April, the average low is 44 and the high is 58F. In May, the low is 54 and the high is 68. So maybe I'll germinate in mid-April and plan to move the plants outside is early May.

Then, once the first grow is finished, I'll move the Blue Dream plants into the tent, and do the 12/12 photoperiod indoors (rather to wait until late September, when the daylight is reduced below 12 hours).

Does this sound like it would work?

Is Blue Dream photoperiod a suitable strain for this treatment, or would I be better off purchasing some different seeds (if I do that, I'll probably get an autoflower strain and do the whole thing outdoors)?

No, it won't work.

Blue dream will grow 9ft tall outside. How tall is your indoor tent?
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Don't put them outside until June 15 or they will go into flower and reveg, been there,done that

Comment

You need to look up your area on google for sunrise/sunset times. It's a must for outdoor photos or else your gonna get screwed. I don't plant outdoors till June here in Oregon and i started mine from clones and i'll do a few autos outdoors also. Make sure night temps are at least 50f and those day temps stay over 70f gotta be all day sun on them.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Bluey, Indoor tent is 6 ft high. Could I keep it smaller by topping/training?

Gator, Right, I didn't take into account that I have to wait until there is enough daylight to keep it from flowering.

Sounds like I should get another auto strain to start outdoors - I could then either leave it outside or move it into tent when available.

Any strain suggestions?

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Even with an 8' high tent and training it is still going to be huge because of the light and temp differentials outdoors.. You best keep it outdoors to finish or indoors all the way.

Sativas are very difficult to grow indoors with a strong light and a 6' tent if growing to harvest in a perfect environment. You will need to sacrifice yields to keep them at a reasonable distance from your light and have a reasonable pot size.

My sativas need every inch of an 8' + grow room and that's topping it 3 times and full on LST and plucking leaves off the main colas to limit stretch with a really strong LED and tight temp control with only 2⁰C b/w night/day...they still want more height.

Edit. You could do it in a 6' tent with perhaps a 3 week or thereabouts veg time but they will triple in size in the stretch.
            Last edited by Bluey; 03-25-2024, 02:57 PM.

OK, good to know! I guess I should stick to Indica-dominant varieties for now.

Comment

Check out Twenty20, they have a lineup of outdoor hunted early ripening seeds. I live in mold city and their beans are the only ones I’ve finished outdoor without succumbing to bud rot mold.

As for starting outdoor and moving indoor, I’ve done it twice somewhat successfully. Timing is everything and I would strongly suggest having a second area away from your main grow to de-bug/mold before it screws your whole setup. Starting your plants late in the season will help them not get 10ft tall. Last year I dropped 2 beans in solo cups August 1st. They stayed outside until they sexed which was a month old. I transplanted and moved indoors then, they were a foot tall and one doubled in size and gave me 2oz off that one plant. The other one had a bad bug infestation and needed to get treated but the spider mites ultimately won. I cut early and removed it from the tent before they took over.

I am undecided if I am going to try that again this year. I spent a good amount of time de-funking everything for a minimal yield.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X