Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does dimming your grow lights change the light spectrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does dimming your grow lights change the light spectrum?

Someone on here had posted that dimming will change the light spectrum and you should run your lights at 100% to get the "full spectrum" lighting.

Not true.

Understanding LED Grow Lights: Power Needs and Spacing (ledlightexpert.com)

Thx for putting this up on the forum. Let's put that issue to bed. I asked HLG this specific question last year. 'Does dimming my lamp change the spectrum? I was told, "no, not enough to matter in agriculture". IDK if that is specific to HLG or not. But, I have adopted the mindset that dimming the light only affects intensity, not the light spectrum. My last auto grow the light never got above 5 clicks of 10 on the dial. Had the best harvest of my somewhat short auto grow experience. Because I harvested 8oz from one plant, I'm now convinced I can turn down the intensity w/o fear of limited or reduced yields.

I'm growing 4 sativa's that are vegging under the HLG Scorpion Rspec. The light is about 30" above the canopy at 2 clicks on the 10 click dial. Plants have tight node spacing, no light burns, no burnt tips, no heat issues. I'm using a Phantom PhotoBio light meter (recommended by someone on the forum) to measure umols. At that setting my plants are getting the right light in the recommended range for their stage of growth.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
    Autopot system
    : Malawai 100% Sativa Ace Seeds x 2
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Purple Haze/Malawi x 3/Ace Seeds Purple Haze x 1 ILGM
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

That was a good article Rootsruler
      SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
      AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series
      3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake
      Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

Dimming the light reduces its efficacy as most well made grow light/driver combinations are designed for maximum efficacy running at full power.

Lights that are most efficient at under full power are typically being over driven and result in shorter life.
        Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
        Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
        Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
        Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
        Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
          Dimming the light reduces its efficacy as most well made grow light/driver combinations are designed for maximum efficacy running at full power.

Lights that are most efficient at under full power are typically being over driven and result in shorter life.
          Actually, according to this article, dimming INCREASES efficacy....

LED dimming can reduce your energy costs | Philips lighting

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. Manufacturers of LEDs like to quote nominal or optimal efficacy numbers. The question is where is the
            optimal efficacy relative to the maximum lux of the fitting?

We never see those numbers in tests done on grow lights but we can find them on the LEDs. It's typically not linear either so makes it hard to guess too.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X