Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question re LST for Scrog

Hello everyone,

I am attempting a SCROG on my new grow, and I was referring to LBH's ScrOG tutorial to follow.

I've done the first topping where the ladies have four sets of 'true' leaves and pinched out the fifth.

All going fine, and there are now two shoots growing at the sides of the pinched main shoot.

What I'm not quite understanding is what happens next. I am letting those new shoots grow ( they're about 1-2 inches now ) .

When the tutorial talks about the 'secondaries' I'm not 100% sure, are they the stems growing from the node below where I topped, (so at the node of the third leaves and main stem) perpendicular to the new stems ( which would make sense for 4 ways ) ? It seems so from the images on the page.

Then I guess when the new stems have grown enough I will be pinning them down, along with the "secondaries" to create the + shape, and I see in the image after pinning there appear to be 8 new LST points

and the tutorial says "Now it’s time to do some topping again. All those nice new sprouts coming out of the middle of each arm……pull ’em!"

So, would I be pinching the four on the ends of the "arms", or every new sprout that can be seen in the image ( there's like four, North, South, East, West, and then closer to the centre there's a NE, NW, SE and SW).

Finally, how many sets of leaves should I allow before doing the second topping.

I plan to stop at 2 LST's as the tutorial does

I hope I've explained the query correctly!

Thanks in advance

R

How I ScrOG:

On 6th node I top back to 5th. This will promote side branching.

Click image for larger version

Name:	apical-dominance_med.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	614938
    I've already predetermined the height of my canopy so I grow the plants 6 inches above my canopy level. At that point they are ready to be netted so I FIM all the sites I can. I wait a couple days for the plant(s) to recover from the FIMming, do a hard defoliation then smash the branches under the net being careful to lay them in the direction I want to fill out the rest of the canopy. I reset my digital timer to 12/12 and let them go.

This is the result......

Name:	01232024.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	614939

I have a couple of ScrOGs going. The picture above is from the 5 x 5 that I'm a couple of weeks away from harvesting along with a 2 x 2 that I did just for fun.

Roots Fruits - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum

2 x 2 Mystery ScrOG - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum

Comment

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you get to the back area to clean those up? I dont see anything growing that shouldnt be, so great job

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      I modified an aluminum walking cane so that I could poke it through the canopy and lean on it so that I could get to the back right corner to inspect for pests and disease along with trimming when I needed to. The back left I have access to but the back right corner is against the wall so no access other than from underneath or leaning on my cane.

I can remove the swiveling base and place it on the floor under the canopy. I poke the adjustable height cane through the canopy and insert it into the base. I have a bicycle seat from an old beach cruiser I had that I attach to the top of the pole so that I can lay on the seat and reach back into that corner.

Not sure if that makes sense but it's the best way for me to describe it.

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      I get it. thanks for the reply. Looks great

wow, that's a beautiful sight!

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! If you need any help setting up your grow just tag me in and I'll be more than happy to help you get it set up right.

I have only Scrogged once in my life and used a slightly different method to Rootsruler

I placed the scrog only once stretch had finished and well into flower. The reason I did it that way was because I could only attend my grow once per week and stretch requires more adjustment than that. Prior to the scrog I was using almost two dozen soft twisties or more per plant to keep them flat and where I wanted them.

I then placed the scrog over the top once well into flower to help guide each bud into place but mostly to hold them up later, so much higher above the medium than what roots does. Even doing it this way all the tallest kolas fell over late in flower and really needed another scrog but I just tied them up with yoyos or the tails of the ratchet hangers. Yes, I'm a hack grower but even so around a pound per plant over a 130 day grow.

Picture below prior to harvest. Harvested about 2 weeks earlier than ideal as I stressed them too much

Name:	20230428_213843.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	615053

And below just after scrog

Name:	20230325_220001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	615055

And below the day before scrog

Name:	20230324_215150.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	615054

Attached Files
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess you could interchange them somewhat but I define trellising as using the net to support branches that can't support themselves whereas scrogging your using the net to splay the branches for better light exposure. One is holding up. The other is holding back. You could also say that scrogging is just wholesale LSTing.

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Sounds good

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I have been told is the difference between a SCROG and Trellising too.

I always found LBH's instructions for a SCROG to be lacking and there are some gaps. Also I have heard from some you tie the branches to the net and others say you weave them. I never tried tying them but maybe that gives you some flexibility to move the branches around more than weaving. Anyway from the pictures the SCROGgers on here got it down pat Beautiful

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't tie or weave. I just tuck them under the net.

I have one of the stretchy nets so while the holes are supposed to stretch to 6" it's more like 8". I'll use bamboo stakes cut to the length I need to keep the misfits from escaping the asylum by laying them across the escaping branch and weave the stake through the net to secure it and keep the branch where I want it!

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, sure looks great. Can you post a picture of what it looks like under the net? I think that may be were I am confused

Allenpro Hopefully this shows you enough to answer your questions. I have a journal going that you can see how it went from start to finish. Sorry for the hijack rix1505 .

Roots Fruits - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum

Name:	03032024 under canopy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	616121

Comment

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and I love the auto feed setup

Here’s scrogging about 4 weeks ago. If you zoom in you’ll see my bending of the stems under netting that’s spreading out the bud sites trying to my canopy flat. a couple of my close ups too.
    Attached Files
    Current Grow - 5 Tangie-matics from FastBuds
    Equipment
    AC Infinity (UIS Controller 69 Pro - WIFI)
    2x4x6 Tent
    6” ACI Cloudline Pro Inline fan / Carbon Filter (Port 1)
    4.5L Cloudforge Humidifier T3 (Port 3)
    6” Cloudray oscillating (Port 4)
    Light: Spider Farmer
    SF-2000 200w (Port 2)

Containers:
    AC Infinity Fabric Pots
    3 – 5gal
    2 – 3gal

Medium:
    Soil – Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    Perlite
    Earth Worm Castings

Nutrients:
    Fox Farm
    Grow Big 6-4-4
    Tiger Bloom 2-8-4
    Big Bloom Plant Food 0-0.5-0.7
    BushDoctor Cal Mag 1-0-0

Neptune Harvest
    Seaweed Plant Food 0-0-1

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. Is that a 2" x 4"? I have a 2 x 2 scrog going at the same time but I screwed up and I starved them. I have 3 mother plants I keep in a 2 x 2 and I took cuts from all 3 and rooted them. Planted all 3 in one 7 gal pot.

Now that I have another light to supplement the 5 x 5, I decided I would take the ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro that I was going to use for supplemental and put it back into my 2 x 2 tester. I'm not testing anything at the moment so I thought I'd have a little fun and do a mini ScrOG! When I trim down the mothers I like to stick the

• Allenpro
      Allenpro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, thanks. I have a 2 X 4 SCROG I am about to flip this weekend, I will post some pictures if I get time. I am just about to start another grow in the RDWC in my grow room I will post some pictures of that when its loaded.

Rootsruler Yep. 2x4. I follow your thread, like your style brother.

Current Grow - 5 Tangie-matics from FastBuds
    Equipment
    AC Infinity (UIS Controller 69 Pro - WIFI)
    2x4x6 Tent
    6” ACI Cloudline Pro Inline fan / Carbon Filter (Port 1)
    4.5L Cloudforge Humidifier T3 (Port 3)
    6” Cloudray oscillating (Port 4)
    Light: Spider Farmer
    SF-2000 200w (Port 2)

Containers:
    AC Infinity Fabric Pots
    3 – 5gal
    2 – 3gal

Medium:
    Soil – Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    Perlite
    Earth Worm Castings

Nutrients:
    Fox Farm
    Grow Big 6-4-4
    Tiger Bloom 2-8-4
    Big Bloom Plant Food 0-0.5-0.7
    BushDoctor Cal Mag 1-0-0

Neptune Harvest
    Seaweed Plant Food 0-0-1

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Appreciate it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X