2 x 2 Mystery ScrOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 x 2 Mystery ScrOG

Now that I have another light to supplement the 5 x 5, I decided I would take the ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro that I was going to use for supplemental and put it back into my 2 x 2 tester. I'm not testing anything at the moment so I thought I'd have a little fun and do a mini ScrOG! When I trim down the mothers I like to stick the cuttings into a one gallon pot full of soil and see if any root. No rooting powder or clonex. Straight into the soil. Whoever survives gets to go to harvest!

Complete bro science but my feeling is whoever was able to survive those conditions should be pretty hardy when it comes to growing and flowering!!!

7 gal cloth pot with some Roots Organic Original soil. I have 3 cultivars in the momma tent so I'm not sure what survived and what didn't but the cultivars I have as mothers are Florida Strawberry, Big Fat Glue and Moon Glow. I guess once it starts to flower we'll know which cultivar it was!

Temp - 77°
    Humidity - 65%
    DLI - 26
    Leaf Temp - 74°
    VPD - 1.11 kPa​

Flip starts today aaaaaaaand........GO!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	12292023 netted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	611284
    Last edited by Rootsruler; 12-29-2023, 09:01 PM.

Have you got any giving up yet??

Comment

• Rootsruler
      Rootsruler commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha! Not yet!

01/02/2023

Temp - 75°
    Humidity - 67%
    DLI - 26
    Leaf Temp - 73°
    VPD - 0.82 kPa

I may need to setup my little heater in the 2 x 2 to keep it warmer. I'd like the tent to run at minimum 77°. The misfits have been really enjoying the extra photons now that they're out of the momma tent. I really need to get a proper light for the momma tent. Running a CFL just isn't enough light for them. Flipped them on the 29th so it's been 5 days. Hoping to see pre pistil in the next couple weeks.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	01022023.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	611492
    Last edited by Rootsruler; 01-02-2024, 10:45 PM.

Comment

It's making headway already. Can't barely see the soil now. How many different strains? Rootsruler

Comment

• Rootsruler
        Rootsruler commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure what survived and what didn't but from the looks of the leaves I'm going to guess the survivors are Florida Strawberry and Big Fat Glue.

01/08/2023

Temp - 77°
      Humidity - 64%
      DLI - 33
      Leaf Temp - 76°
      VPD - 1.04 kPa

Trimmed off some of the water leaves and gave her a feed. Canopy should start to fill with leaves but I'm also seeing the start of pre pistil. I upped the CALi MAGic to full strength. Still feeding Bloom base and Cal/Mag only. Next feed I'm going to do a half Grow half Bloom feed to boost a little nitrogen into the soil so that the plants have enough nitrogen that the leaves stay healthy up into week 6 -7. It'll also give the plants a Phosphorous boost which is what they need more of at this stage of growth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01082023.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	611638

Comment

Making headway, see some new growth.

Comment

01/14/2024

Temp - 78°
          Humidity - 47%
          DLI - 38
          Leaf Temp - 71°
          VPD - 1.05 kPa

Looks like flowerset has begun.​

Name:	01142024.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	612008

Comment

Got good color and a lot of bud site's. Good grow so far. Waste not won't not.

Comment

• Rootsruler
              Rootsruler commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! So far she's been pretty good. I abused her when she was younger but I finally got everything in the tent that she'll need to finish so I'm hoping she gives me nice flowers.

01/17/2024

Temp - 81°
            Humidity - 48%
            DLI - 38
            Leaf Temp - 71°
            Leaf VPD - 1.02 kPa
            Room VPD - 1.70

Canopy is filling out again so I'm going to need to do some pruning. Bud sites are coming on fast.

Name:	01172024.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	612199

Comment

What does the under growth look like?? 2x2 scrog is going to be tight. Good color, little limey on top with all the new growth. Its coming on now. Bud sites are 30+ easy. All are autos so time is ticking.

Comment

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to mention the light on N look but I think it's the grow light plus it's in flower so should be loving it That plant looks happy and healthy. Should produce a nice haul.

dirtymike are you out of your tree again? I know nothing about autos but surely that is a photoperiod? If not, is it like 4 x autos?

Not an auto. It's a cut(s) from the mothers I keep in my momma tent. When I have to trim them down because they're getting too big I have a gallon pot of soil sitting in the same tent and I stick the raw cuts into the dirt without any rooting powder or gel instead of just tossing them. Whoever survives gets to flower. This/these are the ones that survived. I figure if you're able to thrive like that you're probably pretty hardy.

Lime is from the lighting. They're darker than the picture looks but, yes, I thought they looked a little more lime than they needed to be so I foliared them with some cal/mag after I snapped the pic. I've already gone full strength on my cal/mag and I remember one of the mothers in the tent, when I was doing a tester of all three, was quite the cal/mag pig so I suspect that is one of the ones that survived. I think I got 2 cultivars in there. Not sure until flower.
              Last edited by Rootsruler; 01-19-2024, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• dirtymike
                dirtymike commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Bluey I'm out of my tree Again, don't know who's tree I'm in either. Now I'm fully on board. Cuttings from Mother plant, nice work Rootsruler

• Rootsruler
                Rootsruler commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!

01/20/2024

Temp - 79°
              Humidity - 54%
              DLI - 40
              Leaf Temp - 73°
              Leaf VPD - 0.91 kPa
              Room VPD - 1.52

Pruned for better light and air penetration/circulation. Pot was starting to get light so I gave them a gallon of 900ppm feed.

Starting to see two distinct types of flower and leaves. Towards the front curving around the pot halfway is one cultivar. It looks like Bigfoot Glue. It has indica like leaves and pure white pistils. The center back portion is the other cultivar. Judging from its sativa-ish leaf shape I think it's Moonglow which is very close to Sour D. If you zoom in you can see the pistils on the BFG are pure white while the MG flower pistils have dark and white pistils.

I don't like such a wide differential of air temp to leaf temp. We've been in a cold snap lately so I have a feeling the floor is cold and cooling the root zone which is cooling the leaves. If I lift the pot off the floor the leaf and root temps should rise and narrow the differential.

Click image for larger version  Name:	01202024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.47 MB ID:	612316
              Last edited by Rootsruler; 01-20-2024, 02:50 AM.

Comment

01/23/2024

Temp - 79°
                Humidity - 55%
                DLI - 46
                Leaf Temp - 75°
                Leaf VPD - 1.10 kPa
                Room VPD - 1.52 kPa

DAMMIT! The moment I defoliate the plant it just sticks its tongue out at me and grows more. Looks like I need to put a call into my buddy Edward Scissorhands to put a scare into these plants!

I'll let it fill in a little more before Ed shows up!

Name:	01232024.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	612564

Comment

01/30/2024

Temp - 76.4°
                  Humidity - 51%
                  DLI - 46
                  Leaf Temp - 74°
                  Leaf VPD - 1.25 kPa
                  Room VPD - 1.55 kPa

Let them grow out the leaves but it's getting pretty crowded in their. I may do another trim to clear out some of the leaves that are blocking air flow and light. Not sure yet.

One of the cultivars is showing some leaf discoloration similar to when leaves start to go into leaf senescence. I think there are 2 plants of that cultivar and the other is showing leaf yellowing. I started full strength Cal/Mag a little too late so I think I may bump it up for a feed or two to full strength plus a 1/4. Did a full strength feed and the leaves all came back from being droopy but they'll stay yellow. I may cut them off in the trim if I do it.

Name:	01302024.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	613092

Comment

• DOB13
                    DOB13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello rootsruler. I finally got my few started. So far,so good. Only about two weeks. It seems that you have more knowledge about this then I will ever have. I took your advice and got the vs1500 lights. Thanks. Now I have a question about cal mag. I got the flora trio I think it's called but haven't started with it yet. I see some cal mag has a little nitrogen in it,some seems to have a lot and some doesn't have any. Which kind would you recommend? The flora trio stuff has nitrogen in it but I'm just not sure which cal mag to get. Thanks in advance. It looks like you do amazing things

• Rootsruler
                    Rootsruler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Flora Trio is from General Hydroponics so I would try and keep it within the manufacturer. I use GH's CALi MAGic since I use their FloraNova line. The plants seem to really like it as I haven't had a hint of deficiency and the cultivars in the tent are cal/mag whores. I wouldn't worry too much about the small amount of N in most of the Cal/Mags.

Did you get the VS1500 or the VS1500 Pro? I have the pro model and I love it! Amazons got it for $99. Either will work but if you didn't get the pro model and can return the other I would do that. The regular model will be fine but the Pro model has special lenses that give better overall coverage.

LOL! Not amazing. Just paid attention when credible people offered up the sauce!!!

If you need help setting up your grow or advice as you go along just tag me and I'll chime in. Are you growing an auto or photo seed? The plant(s) in the 2 x 2 were all cuts from the 3 mother plants I have in another 2 x 2.

• DOB13
                    DOB13 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe I just have the 1500,I would have to dig out the box and look. I started with autos. One in 5gal fabric pot with Coco loco,one in 5 gallon with mother Earth stuff and one in a 3 gallon with mother Earth. Supposedly those two types of soil don't need nutrients for about a month. Kind of experimenting a little. Used to grow outdoors last century but never under lights. Amazing how far growing has come. There is a wealth of info on here and people like you to help out mean a lot. I probably will hit you up with more questions as they come along if you don't mind. Have to try and learn how to post pics. So far I'm happy with my plants and they seem happy as well. Anyway thanks for the cal mag info ,I will get the gh brand. I have read it's good to keep all nutrients from the same company. Have a good evening

The Mystery is starting to get a little think.

Comment

• Rootsruler
                    Rootsruler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Undergrowth isn't really thick. It's mostly the canopy that needs some strategic pruning but they're in flower so I don't want to stunt them if I do too hard a defoliation. Maybe just remove a few leaves at a time?

• Bluey
                    Bluey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's all I do from mid to late flower. I keep on as much as I can but try and avoid wet spots on the leaves to stop WPM and keep buds in the light. My theory is you want to stop as much light getting through the canopy so it's not wasted on the floor but used to make sugars for the flowers and roots for further nute absorption.

• Rootsruler
                    Rootsruler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll probably get in there in the next few days and trim some of the leaves at the top of the canopy that are blocking light to lower bud sites. There isn't much undergrowth I need to remove as the canopy to soil line is only 10". LED's can penetrate down to the soil so removing some of the canopy leaves that are blocking light from penetrating deeper into the canopy is what I'm trying to accomplish and get better light at the soil line.

The canopy has pretty much covered the entire 2 x 2 footprint so I'm not too worried about wasting PPFD.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X