mildew prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mildew prevention

Looking for product or mix-it-yourself IPM recommendations for powdery mildew prevention during middle to late flower. I use neem oil for my veg leaves but that is not an option now that budlets have formed. Is there anything that 1) won't leave an unpleasant residue, and 2) actually works for PM
    The humidity has been very high here and there is a lot of spore in the air outside. Inside the room, I have been policing my plants enough to catch individual spots of PM before they have a chance to spread. The environment has been remedied by a dehumidifier and AC (my electric bill is gonna be 💀). Now maintaining 74-75°F and 45-50% RH pretty much around the clock, with night being slightly cooler by a degree or two. Also the door no longer needs to be open to the rest of the house 24/7 so I'm hoping that cuts back on the spore traffic.

I'm not being overrun for now but I sure would like to add a second line of defense to the environment control. Also could someone tell me where to edit my signature, I can't find it in the menus.
    Last edited by 12HourPower; 02-08-2024, 03:02 AM.

Howdy neighbor i'm down in Roseburg. Hell of a freeze you all had. Had my daughter staying with me for 7 days cause of power outage. For the last 4 days it's been like 65f crazy flux. Anyhoo I've not experienced PM issues at your level. I have central heating 70f in a less than 900sq ft home. My humidity in my tent is between 45-52% not the best and i will put a small clamp on CFL 50watt when and if the temp goes below 65f. I use a rotating fan on the outside of my tent but most folks have had a clip on inside i would highly recommend you use one. Are you growing in a tent? I'd use clorox wipes to wipe down the tent and or remove those plants from the room and spray some lysol kills mold an mildew. Hang in there others will chime in.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• 12HourPower
      12HourPower commented
      Editing a comment
      You have 45-50% RH in your tent with no dehumidifier? That sounds like a dream.

Yes, I am in a 8x8x6.5 ft tent inside a 12x12 bedroom at the end of the house.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      WoW huge setup. No i grow very simply i don't ever use humidifier it's rather dry inside my little house. I've mostly grown outdoors all my life.
      I've had to place wet towels and pots of water when i use to use wood heat. My main concern is keeping the heat up, for that i use a clamp on 54watt CFL with a reflector, same one i use for seedlings. Wish i could help more with the editing, hopefully someone with more tech brains will chime in.

I have WPM all year round here in my outdoor garden. Nothing I can do about that than grow indoors. I use a humidifier during early veg and need a dehumidifier during flower. I know of no magic spray that you can put on flowers to stop it and still smoke the flowers. Everyone who grows outdoors around me has had total losses to WPM and mould the last three seasons.

It's easy to control indoors...Outdoors depends on your climate. It's too wet here.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• 12HourPower
      12HourPower commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to mention, the few spots I found all appeared within the last few days, following 3-4 days of RH of 55-65% due to volatile outdoor weather. I was fretting hard, hence the AC and DH. Still not pleased with the electric consumption, but the environment is super stable now. My neighbor was curious why I didn't just open the window and put a box fan in it, I was like "are you insane?! The moisture and spores are coming from outside!"

Anyhow, now the air is moving superbly at 75F and 45%. They just woke up a few minutes ago, I am going to check for leaf lay and wet spots (and everything else).

That's a bummer about your outdoor garden. You must be in the Midwest or Southern states.

Fans for air movent/flow and trimming for the same reason. [edit] for wpm you have moisture where its forming, below 50% humidity you should not have moisture on the plant)[/edit]
    One could try "trifecta crop control" which claims to be safe as well as organic. I have used it for bud rot control some years ago (really wet fall here), IF you want to spray something read up on it an make your own choice. Is anything sprayed on your buds really safe? (organic or not)
    Last edited by Rwise; 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I will inspect that one. I was considering crop defender 3 which is basically rosemary, thyme, peppermint, and clove essential oils mixed with water and organic emulsifiers. Not sure how that has antifungal properties as it's listed for use against pests AND mildew. I know a grower who mixed his own version of that and swore by it. But I don't think he used it during flower. His garden experienced dry summers, he probably didn't need or want to use it in his outdoor hoop house(s).

​​​​​​I won't resort to anything being sprayed unless my environmental intervention doesn't work. But honestly, I think it will be okay now. It wasn't even a problem for literally months, until one day the humidity just shot through the roof, and then poof. I got to say though, none of the spots I find are anywhere close to as severe as most pictures of WPM on the web. 🤞 🤞 I will stay vigilant
      Last edited by 12HourPower; 02-02-2024, 12:37 PM. Reason: Changed "photos" to "pictures" for clarity

Comment

Welcome to GWE BTW
        Here my humidity can be 100% (I grow outdoor), so I thought I would try a "mildew resistant" strain, it was the first to have WPM that year! It was back to air flow.

Comment

• 12HourPower
          12HourPower commented
          Editing a comment
          The breeder was like "Ohhhh, you wanted mildew resistant? I thought you said mildew VULNERABLE. Woops!"

"Now maintaining 74-75°F and 45-50% RH pretty much around the clock..."

That should do it for avoiding WPM. If you previously had a bad infection clean everything in the tent and lung room before starting a new grow. As is often said, an oz of prevention is better than a pound of rotten weed. Lots of internal air circulation inside the tent. I use multiple 6 inch clip on fans. Keep the air moving.

To edit your signature:
        click on your avatar in upper right
        open my profile
        click on edit settings
        select account tab
        scroll down to Conversation Detail Options
        click on edit post signature
        enter signature
        click save

Last edited by Ckbrew; 02-01-2024, 09:08 PM.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

From memory spores need a certain RH% to germinate. I think around 60% or above but not sure. If you can keep the RH in your buds below the spore germination point you won't get moldy buds.
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• 12HourPower
            12HourPower commented
            Editing a comment
            "If you can keep the RH in your buds below the spore germination point you won't get moldy buds"

I'm guessing that means a room RH of 45%, to keep the buds below 60%.

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on temps, the size and density of your buds and airflow so it will vary but I'd say at 45% you should be pretty safe in late flower. We are talking big buds though

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240213_142845796.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	614235
          ​​​​​This is wpm on grass and blackberry a few km from my house where I walk the dog. It's like this in most low areas where water and fog collect. I put my outside clothes in the dryer for 15 minutes when I get back home. I have stopped it inside the tent, but it took 10 days of lower humidity conditions to abate.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240213_142852981.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	5.13 MB
ID:	614236

Comment

1 to 3 milk to water in a spray bottle. Shake well and make sure you cover the entire plant top to bottom side to side under over. After a day or two respray with just water to wash off the milk residue.

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Full cream, low fat, skinny, soy, almond, lactose free?

• Rootsruler
              Rootsruler commented
              Editing a comment
              Bluey Depends on where you live. If you're in Cali then almond but if you're in the midwest, like Nebraska or Oklahoma then full fat or the cattle ranchers will have something to say! ;P

• 12HourPower
              12HourPower commented
              Editing a comment
              It sounds crazy but it's a thing. This guy brews up his own LAB from milk (whole, from a cow), rice water, and molasses.

This website sells the starter culture. Not suggesting purchase, but there's some info.
              https://mibeneficials.com/products/l...ed%20as%20well.

Glad I don't need to do this!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X