reusing medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reusing medium

So... do many/most folks use their medium more than once? Seems like a waste not to, but I want to be successful and not "cheap out" either!
    what I have; last (first grow) medium was coco/compost/vermiculite/worm castings. It seemed kind of "tight"...I'd like a looser mixture this time as I've found we have high PH water and I would like to water for runoff each time, so I can keep a good handle on things. I planned to add a good amount of perlite and more coco to achieve this.
    I was really curious when I pulled these plants as to what the root structure looked like, 5 gallon fabric pots. Was surprised to see the pot virtually filled with tiny roots, and virtually no big roots. Assuming this is normal for cannibis...should I try to remove (screen?) as much of the old root growth as possible? maybe this is why several folks have said they rotate medium....is this to let it "work"....or is there nothing left working in there?? LOL
    PS...pots were very mildly rootbound on the very bottom, no sign of salt buildup, roots looked basically healthy)
    I (think I) know there is virtually no nutrition left in there now (used by first grow, thoroughly flushed to low PPM) so I expect I will have to add something food/fert/nute-wise for the young plants...I plan to transplant them with what I've start them in, a solo cup of seedling mixture, but I expect they will need something more that that in the medium they are planted into. Maybe a bag of one of the grow soils, or? Kind of spinning my wheels there...
    thanks for any insight!

I am reusing and rotating.

The roots that you can't pull out by sifting the coco with your hands breaks down very fast.

I completely flush it and clean it out till I get 0.0 EC and clear water.

I didn't give it a shot of nutes this time or do that calmag soak thing but did give it a bit of H²O². I've got some compatible calmag additive and already giving them over 1 EC.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I reuse my indoor and outdoor potting soils. I don't ever bring outdoor soil mix indoor for reuse. I'll reuse indoor a couple times and mix up more worm castings and a light fluffy coco with perilite mixed in. I do get a few soil knats not many but i think they come pre packaged in the worm castings as long as they don't swarm the tent i just squish them or i'd hang a sticky fly catcher in the tent.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Mollisol
        Mollisol commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to have to try something like that. FFOF is kinda expensive. Although, I can pick it up at Farm & Fleet, way cheaper than Amazon or Home Depot.

Of course can you ever get a good deal on anything at the Home Depot?
        Last edited by Mollisol; 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM.

I’ve been using the same coco/perlite mix I have now for about 2yrs. After each grow I pull all the roots and plant matter I can out then set the pots in the shower. I rinse thoroughly until the run off is completely clear and brush the residue off the outside of my pots. If it’s going to be a while before I start another grow I’ll set the pots in my basement until they dry out completely then dump the medium into a plastic tote I store it in. If I’m stating another grow I’ll let the medium dry then recharge with light nutes and calmag before replanting

Comment

Adding worm castings will speed up the decomposition of the roots that are left. I’d leave them in...

Comment

I have reused my FF soil, removing the roots and mixing with good organic soil and everything seemed fine. I was truly wondering exactly what you asked, so Thanks 😊

Comment

• upnorthx
            upnorthx commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my weed sites (Maybe it's this one, lol) has a drop down menu of former posts that reference the topic you're asking....think it drops after you enter your topic...great idea! But I learn a ton from reading archived posts
            Still...hard to beat asking your own questions.... especially when the science of growing continues to evolve as more states come online with legalization I look at dates on any thread I reference to make sure its not from 2011 or something!
            Not that they didn't know how to grow weed in 2011, lol

I have reused my soil for several grows, always amending with homemade worm compost. This has always worked out well for me until recently when my plants were not doing so well. I couldn't figure out what was going on and finally had the soil tested for about $40 from a company via Amazon. All it required was some additional organic amendments and everything is right back on track. I encourage you to continue reusing your medium, and if it is a soil based medium to get it tested and replenish what you've taken out in the right quantities.

Comment

• No3odiesShad0w
            No3odiesShad0w commented
            Editing a comment
            What was wrong? Excess or deficiency? Just curious

• Franklin
            Franklin commented
            Editing a comment
            Excess phosphorous and potassium, deficient nitrogen, iron, manganese, and boron. Sulphur, zinc, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and copper were spot on. Ph was a little low.

• No3odiesShad0w
            No3odiesShad0w commented
            Editing a comment
            And I'm guessing the highest levels of P and K were causing weird lockout issues. That's my worry about reusing soil but I guess a $40 soil test is much cheaper than buying new amendments and everything else. If I can get this reusing done correctly then I should be good for at least a year or 2 of growing with everything I have on hand.. Only expense would be the soil test.

Reusing your soil is good practice especially if you're going to grow the same cultivar in it. The bacterial and fungal endophytes the cultivar likes are already in the soil. Great way to supecharge your grow.

Comment

Good to know!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X