No announcement yet.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've really had trouble with this grow losing seedlings. That's a first for me.

It may be related to the H²0² germination. I dont know. At a loss. I'm doing all as I've done 2 previous grows and still looks like I'm going to lose another 3. Frustrating!
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I had the same problem with my current grow, but I don't think it was due to my seeds because it happened to seeds other people gave me too (even more). My issue was too high of humidity and warmth in living soil led to damping off. Basically all the good fungi and bacteria in the soil would attack my seeds when they were young. In retrospect I should have used a bit of h2o2 in the soil. Describe how yours are dying. Is it damping off?

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        It may be the coco. It may need sterilising although I haven't heard of that before

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240218_080647.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	558.9 KB
ID:	614566

OZ x photoperiod above. 12 hrs H²O² then paper towel for 2 days. Popped nicely and 1" long reticle then transferred to coco and buried so seed head ½ an inch below top of coco with dome over, 100% RH. Watered in with a bit of rain water and broke through 2 days later under dome. 160 PPFD and a bit more rain water.
      This hasn't moved in 3 days now. Giving 0.2 EC via syringe last watering, maybe 20ml. Coco damp from earlier wash. Dome atill on. 100% RH. Just stopped. 22⁰C day 19⁰C night 18/6 lights.

Name:	20240218_080700.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	614567 2 in coco. Top dead. Bottom Red CBD x auto. Very slow to pop then slow to break through. No movement now 4 days.

Name:	20240218_080713.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	614568

WW x photo 2 weeks old. As good as dead
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

And then these doing great

Name:	20240218_082748.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	614572 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240218_082730.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	614571 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240218_082734.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	614570

Comment

And these doing shit. Note. There's a fan in the room and all seedlings under domes and lids removed from domes once rooted but I really don't think they are rooting much at all.
          . Click image for larger version

Name:	20240218_082800.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	614574

And mutant auto below

Name:	20240218_074949.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	614575

Comment

I might guess the humidity is too high without airflow under those domes and you're attracting mold. You said the last grow has lots of bud rot? Probably tons of spores in your tent? Maybe try taking the domes off, spraying with a solution of 3% h2o2 and water (6 to 1), good airflow, and leave it be. Water half ass much as you were. Maybe.

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              No mold last grow. Mold the grow before. I doubt there is more spores than normal in the room, but, it could be in the coco. From my poor memory coco is inoculated with a fungal spore...and I can't remember why.

If I can't save these I'm going to toss the coco and start with new.

My coco is recycled by me and maybe I haven't done it well enough.

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not over watering.

I suspect the coco in the top of these large 50ltr pots is now on its 3rd grow. There are some still small root filaments in there. I suspect something is wrong with it.

I did pour some H²O² in one of them at the 200 to 1 ratio prior to dropping in the sprout. A small amount, maybe 50ml. That one has progressed the furthest then died.

Environment is good. Light is good. Nutes are good. Must be the medium

Removed the domes from the small seedlings that had stalled on all 50ltr pots. They shrivelled up in 4 to 6 hours. Pulled one out. No roots. I blame the used coco...something in it not conducive to root growth. Likely mold or fungus or something like that as you indicated Franklin

So I will start a run of 3 new WW x SD photos today and plant sprouts in new coco.

I am confident this will solve the horrid run of seedlings stalling in these three pots.

Seeds going into 200 to 1 H²O² solution now.

Comment

• No3odiesShad0w
              No3odiesShad0w commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you ever tried yucca? Adding it to water or foliar? It's a mild fungicide and surfactant. Maybe it can help with fungus spores and the way the water acts. I know Coco is already great when it comes to getting oxygen to your roots but that can also aid fungal growth. By giving them fungicidal water, maybe the roots would have a better chance at cementing themselves?

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't tried that but read about it a whole ago. Cheers.

I've tossed all the coco from the 50ltr pots and started with new today. I have 3 WW x SD on papertowel atm with a bit of H²O² at 200:1 and am keeping it moist with plain water.

I've given the new coco in the 3 pots a pour through of nutes at 0.2EC pH 5.8.

The seeds have popped and I'll be putting them into the coco in about 48hrs

So almost a month in since germination and here we have 3 autos and a OZ x photo coming along nicely.
            1.4 EC pH 5.9 25⁰C day 18/6 DLI 22 to 24 and ramping up the lighting pretty quickly now.
            No run off yet but medium is not allowed to dry off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240222_074840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.29 MB ID:	614934

Above we see mutant auto far left, bottom right is the OZ x photoperiod and the other 3 autos and below a close up of the OZ x photo

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240222_074859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.29 MB ID:	614935

I plan on cloning this OZ x as it is the only one that rooted as a seedling. Only having the one grow space I have not been able to stretch it out for an ideal clone as it is sitting beside the autos and I dont want to compromise them too much. 7.5 gal pots for size reference
            Last edited by Bluey; 02-21-2024, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear yours are steaming along @No3odiesShad0w

I'll keep the mutant going as long as I have room. I should be giving it less EC and less light as it is clearly not as far developed but I'm not.

Let's see what happens

• No3odiesShad0w
              No3odiesShad0w commented
              Editing a comment
              Just because it looks less developed, don't be fooled it's an auto. It goes by age. Sure you don't want to stunt it but if it's not showing any nutrient stress then you're fine. Just an eccentric plant lol

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              The 3 autos and the photo are racing along. The photo which is an OZ x is just winning. The fingers are the fattest I've grown....which isn't hard given I've only ever grown sativa dominants. EC now at 1.6 and I'm seeing that is probably about its max atm and DLI high 20's, about their current limit.

I put the 3 sprouts into the coco with a bit of rainwater sprayed over them and domed them. Light is at 150/170 PPFD. Temps are a bit higher than ideal for seedlings at 24/25⁰C day and 21⁰C night but fingers crossed. They should break through in 2 to 3 days. Hopefully they root. I moved the humidifier right away from them.

Interesting colour on the Red CBD x AK47 autos new growth.

Is this what you see Franklin or am I perhaps pushing them just a tad too much?

They are growing fast now...very fast

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240223_021130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	615014

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I do really want to give these beans a go on my auto run next and give them a try outdoors later in June. I've not grown heavy CBD strain yet, just like the harloquin & charlottes web i've purchased to blend into my heavy indica strains. I like grinding bud to bud 1:1 helps with RA hands & elbows

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel quite fortunate SoOrbudgal being able to give these a go thanks to Franklin

I've never grown anything like these before in my life and there's zero local knowledge on them.

Doing my best to give the grow justice

I have 4 of this red CBD going now. 3 did not express the color and they look normal but one looked like what you are asking about. Fast forward to now and they are expressing purple buds . The edges of the leaves have a bluish tint to them Right Bluey?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              huh how interesting i can't wait to try them

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Pyrokill . It's only just come on with a decent increase in the light but that new leaf growth is showing that bluish tint, mostly at the tips of the fingers and a bit of a halo effect if I can call it that. The odour in the room has picked up nicely and no sign of anything but veg growth so far. I'm quite liking these, they are enjoying 1.6 EC now and just under 30 DLI
              One of these 4 is the Orange Zkittles x photo but all 4 actually look identical, all getting that dark bluish tinge on 4th node. Bottom leaves have very fat fingers, maybe 2" across. No signs of problems, but they appear close to their healthy limit. Wound the light back a tad last night as the very tips of the leaf serrations were showing the slightest of up lift/curl and very minor start to clamming/taco.

These things are speaking nicely to me. Temps 22/26⁰C

I don't remember any colored leaves until flowering, but those are looking nice. I really like that cross. Not many of those seeds left!

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              You really do amazing work mate. I take my hat off to you.

I need to do another seed run here on my sativas. I sent out a few lots to my outdoor grower friends here and one I met on this site 5 to 6 months ago and got consistent reports of only 50% or less germination rate.

I only have about 40 seeds left and I'll need most possibly all to get up the next breeding project. I will not be able to live with myself if I fail at continuing this line.

Thank you! I'm not being humble when I say I'm just a pollen chucker. I don't have the space or time to do real breeding. It's fun to take great genetics and make seeds free to people.

edit to add that the prices of mj seeds are ridiculous compared to conventional crops and simply a remnant of prohibition. Making seeds is simple and in my mind they should be about 25 cents or less per seed if one truly factors in time and energy. So I make them free to try to balance this out and cause it's just fun.

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. Seed cost is through the roof but there are costs involved.

Buying seeds here often means being ripped off or worse

• dirtymike
              dirtymike commented
              Editing a comment
              And my garden is full of cannabis of various flavors from the humble pollen chucker. Franklin

4 autos coming along including the mutant one on the left. Bottom right is the OZ x photo.

All very healthy and smashing it, but the mutant not so great but still hanging in there. It's struggling with growth and pigmentation and I suspect it's roots are not up to the task.

Temps today I've allowed to drop a little 22/23⁰C and I've lowered room RH a bit to around 67%, EC just under 1.6 which I think is a healthy limit, 5.9pH, DLI 30 which was upper limit yesterday as they showed signs of exhaustion an hour before lights out. Gave them about 450ml today each which produced the first sign of runoff in one of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_081803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	615231

Below three photos just sprouted. Lids off domes. In coco with a wash of nute mix 0.2 EC 5.8ph and lightly sprayed in with plain water. Wont water these for a while, plenty of moisture in the soil. Next light spray around 0.15 EC. Fingers crossed as I've lost 5 seedlings to date this grow as they have not been rooting.

Edit. The paper towel below is to stop additional light from the RHS grow light hitting the seedling...light on seedlings is around 175 PPFD where as light on the plants next to it around 480ish PPFD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_081908.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	615232
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_081930.jpg Views:	0 Size:	450.9 KB ID:	615233
            Last edited by Bluey; 02-24-2024, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              woohoo get them photos growing and them autos look great too

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              The seedlings appear to be stalling again. I just gave them 10ml of plain water and have vented domes on them. I'll leave them alone but if they don't get up and boogie it must be the H²0² and perhaps I'm not doing something right with that, but the first five in new coco no problem...they are rocketing along. I won't be feeding them today, the coco is saturated.

DAMN! I'm lagging....

Looking good Bro!

Comment

The MUTANT

It appears I accidentally chemically topped this one with to hot a nute mix on its first feed. The other 3 autos same genetics survived fine and so did a Orange zkittles x Sour Diesel (photoperiod.)

It's an auto Red CBD x AK47 and I've tried to save it and it looks to have come good. Pigment is good in the new growth and it's picking up steam. It needs a bit of a clean up because it's growing kind of weird but I'll wait and reassess this once it fully recovers.

Pic below of how it ended up after the hot shot showing the topping and what looks like a stunted growth where the main stem should be. This stem also looks like it has topped itself at the next node. I don't think this stem will produce any bud sites, but it might.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_210347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	742.3 KB ID:	615279

And pics below showing its new growth and how it's going.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_210411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	615280 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_210422.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	615281
              It's lower leaves looked low on N and a bit patchy with the lovely green pigment but the tops are now coming along well with new growth and looking healthy.
              🤞
              Last edited by Bluey; 02-25-2024, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X