PH Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL PH Question

So I'm in week 2 of my Tangie-matic. They look real good and are progressing nicely.
    The soil was ready for new moisture and PH check was 5.8. A little low, but not too bad. So I mixed my low doses of Cal Mag, FF Grow Big and Neptune liquid kelp and balanced the PH to 6.6 with hopes to bring the soil PH up a bit and hoping for about a 6.2 or 3.

After feeding, the soil measured a PH of 3.8. Gave em some plain water at a 6.8 and it brought em up to about a 4.1, but I'm pretty confused by this and need to call on my GWE family for advice.

BTW - This happened last feeding about 3 days ago too. And scared the bajesus out of me. My daily soil PH testing had it rising of course to today's 5.8 prior to my feeding today.

So, can anyone sooth my soul? Or offer me some advice?

Funny how one day you think you're getting the hang of this growing thing, and the next day you're crapping your pants.

Thanks in advance,
    EZ crapping his pants....
    Current Grow - 5 Tangie-matics from FastBuds
    Equipment
    AC Infinity (UIS Controller 69 Pro - WIFI)
    2x4x6 Tent
    6” ACI Cloudline Pro Inline fan / Carbon Filter (Port 1)
    4.5L Cloudforge Humidifier T3 (Port 3)
    6” Cloudray oscillating (Port 4)
    Light: Spider Farmer
    SF-2000 200w (Port 2)

Containers:
    AC Infinity Fabric Pots
    3 – 5gal
    2 – 3gal

Medium:
    Soil – Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    Perlite
    Earth Worm Castings

Nutrients:
    Fox Farm
    Grow Big 6-4-4
    Tiger Bloom 2-8-4
    Big Bloom Plant Food 0-0.5-0.7
    BushDoctor Cal Mag 1-0-0

Neptune Harvest
    Seaweed Plant Food 0-0-1

You're likely getting erroneous readings.

I no longer measure runoff as it is imprecise and would have me killing my plants if I followed past readings.

Let your plants tell their story and feed at recommended pH for soil.

I never pH'ed my water for outdoor soil grows but I know it was likely 6.8ish given its source.

Try not to do runoff in a soil grow, it washes the nitrates out.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Have you done a slurry PH test on the soil? My soil hit 7.4 with simple tests, but the slurry test gave 8.4PH.
      Tell us about your PH testing, not all equipment is mint to use, some is mint only to sell. I had one of those 2 prong testers it was not accurate and has been trashed, replaced with a blue labs unit.
      How bout a pic of the plant, reading the leaves can tell a lot.

Comment

Do you check your water? Before and after mixing nutrients Those cheap multi testers are junk...

Comment

Thanks for the replies and thats a good suggestion about the equipment (pretty cheap testers). I did indeed test the water before and after mixing nutes.
          Even with the cheap testers it’s consistent though.
          I haven’t tried a slurry test but thats a good idea. Due to PH arguably being the most important part of a grow, I may spring for more quality equipment.
          Here’s a pick from this morning. Girls still looking real healthy and PH is again slowly creeping back up.
          Current Grow - 5 Tangie-matics from FastBuds
          Equipment
          AC Infinity (UIS Controller 69 Pro - WIFI)
          2x4x6 Tent
          6” ACI Cloudline Pro Inline fan / Carbon Filter (Port 1)
          4.5L Cloudforge Humidifier T3 (Port 3)
          6” Cloudray oscillating (Port 4)
          Light: Spider Farmer
          SF-2000 200w (Port 2)

Containers:
          AC Infinity Fabric Pots
          3 – 5gal
          2 – 3gal

Medium:
          Soil – Fox Farm Ocean Forest
          Perlite
          Earth Worm Castings

Nutrients:
          Fox Farm
          Grow Big 6-4-4
          Tiger Bloom 2-8-4
          Big Bloom Plant Food 0-0.5-0.7
          BushDoctor Cal Mag 1-0-0

Neptune Harvest
          Seaweed Plant Food 0-0-1

Comment

Me Myself and I, would top dress with pelleted Dolomite lime (and wood ash) as PH+ buffers. The dolomite will melt with water and soak into the soil. As long as the buffers are available the plant will move them around and adjust the soil PH as it wants.

Comment

• ezmaarc
              ezmaarc commented
              Editing a comment
              LOVE this suggestion! Thanks Rwise!

Sounds like you're killing them with nutes this early on a soil grow. Plus your nutes lower the pH of your water. Lay off the nutes till they ask for it and ph to 7 for a few waterings. You want 6 to 7 all of the time in soil. And I recommend adding 1/4 cup of dolomite lime to the top 1" of soil for natural buffering as already suggested.
            Last edited by Going2fast; 01-20-2024, 03:26 PM.
            keeping it green with the soil thing
            love me some frosty autos
            braap
            BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
            Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
            the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
            blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

What soil are you using? It should already have buffers in it. I still pH my feed solutions even in dirt. Old hydro habit.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X