humidity woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

humidity woes

First grow, 4x4 tent, inline exhaust fan, 2 oscillating fans. 75 degrees...but the humidity has been about 40% for the whole grow (nearly ready to chop now). I put a 6L Humidfier in there several weeks ago and really no effect on the humidity. Also a bowl of water in front of the heater. So...why can't I get the humidity up??

Well done.

the temps and RH were perfect for late flower.

I don't have an issue with low humidity here very often at all but when I do I can get it up pretty easily as my room is sealed. The AC still strip's the moisture from the air if I need to keep temps down with it and there is nothing I can do about it, that I know of except run the himidifier flat out...

If your tent is in a basement or room you could try sealing it a bit better but that will bring temps up a bit also.

More often than not we have to compromise a bit on the environment. If you can remove equipment in the room/tent producing heat you could slow down the air changeover and that will allow RH to climb higher before being vented out without a rise in temps.

Exhaust fans can be cycled off and on if needed.

Edit. I see you have a heater. Lower it's output and slow or stop/start your exhaust. That will bring up RH without temps changing much.
    Last edited by Bluey; 01-17-2024, 07:10 PM.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I have 8 yrs indoor growing with zero experience when started and was freaking like you about humidity to high or to low. You will learn to change with seasons. Myself have dehumidifier in flower room in flower in veg room I don’t worry about humidity if low spray lightly couple times day. I tried humidifiers. Nope nope I don’t worry if low use spray bottle more. This of course is just for a personal grow not commercial.

Comment

While I respect everyones grow style for what it is and the experiences they've had growing, I have to disagree as far as running low humidity in veg. Every production facility I've worked at keeps their rooms at 70% - 75% humidity with temps hovering around 80° - 82° in their veg rooms. One plant or one hundred shouldn't matter when it comes to environment. Flower is different because you're trying to mimic the fall season but veg should be in an environment as close to tropical as you can.

Low humidity in veg will stress out your plants and hurt their performance. Of course, this is also cultivar dependent so ranges will vary depending on cultivar.

upnorthx Turn off your exhaust fans and see how high you can get the humidity in the tent with your humidifier running full out after you harvest with lights on. If you can hit your setpoint then you just need to dial in the fan speed to be able to maintain air circulation in the tent but also maintain humidity and temps within the range you want.
        Last edited by Rootsruler; 01-19-2024, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• upnorthx
          upnorthx commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for that...for my 2nd grow I'm using a controller that will slow/stop my exhaust fan to let the humidity rise. Seems the problem was running my exhaust fan all the time, which I didn't know was wrong.

• Rootsruler
          Rootsruler commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries. Part of the process. Controller will make your life much easier.

Keyword there is production facility. I live where humidity real high in summer real low in winter. I have put humidifiers in veg room. Found just not worth the hassle for few months. I do run dehumidifier in flower but I let veg room just sprayed lightly once in while in winter. Works for me. I know of coarse there is an optimal range on all the environment ya make but low humidity for couple months I don’t worry to much about. They will pull a whole lot more water when humidity low for sure especially flower.

Comment

Like I said in original post it did take me couple years of growing in my home to realize u had to make small adjustments every season change and did at one time setup humidifiers. After growing indoors for 10 years with monthly harvest. I threw the dehumidifiers in trash a long time ago they were in the way….

Comment

Example of changing with seasons if continue using spray bottle as I do in winter in the summer my seedlings will not grow roots high humidity and getting wet…. They won’t grow roots…. Cause they don’t need them. Home growing indoors ya will learn to change with the seasons but I can handle low humidity but high humidity real bad in flower room for sure.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X