cutting/drying colas first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cutting/drying colas first?

First grow, not a lot of yield...so can I harvest just the main colas first, since they ripen first...then drop the lights and give the lower buds another week to mature? Probably a good reason why I haven't much seen this suggested...

What you are suggesting is called a perpetual harvest and it is practiced by alot of growers here. This is where i got the information at the first time i accomplished the same procedure. Any yield from a first time grow will smoke like Pure Gold. Enjoy. Hang out. Lots of good reads. Peace

Comment

It's your grow, you can do what you want. Many people do a staged harvest. Last year I did this and kept all the larf buds on the bones and grew them out for another 2-3 weeks. An easy extra 80g.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I'm doing that now and it's working well. The lower buds were still 60% white hair and they are able to finish now with the tops removed.

Comment

I've harvested top colas or buds and left lower half to ripen longer. I'll say almost every grow with indoor photos i've done this usually do to not spreading and keeping it low like ivy LOL i haven't ever been able to manifold so low that it looks like a starfish with just the tips pointing up.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

The only potential downside to a sequential harvest is the risk of a single branch drying way too fast when it is cut from the plant.

As long as you plan for that and compensate, it's a very useful technique.

Regards,
            -Grouchy
            My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
            I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
            Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• dirtymike
              dirtymike commented
              Editing a comment
              "sequential harvest" that's the words i was hunting for. upnorthx

I tried "sequential gardening", Wasn't worth it for me. The time it took to ripen the larf was time I could use to start flowering new plants. I added up how much I could harvest annually using both methods and "sequential gardening" lost.

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              If there is another grow waiting they larf growing is not the best use of the space. If the grow is done then it is an easy bonus.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X