Starting Outdoor plants in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Outdoor plants in January

Hello everyone and Happy new year. I just moved out in the country and thinking about starting a outside grow. My issues here is that the few places I have are not in full sun. About 60-40. I live in Florida and are winter here is very warm and no worries about freezing. My question is, Would it be a bad idea to start plants now? My thinking was to give plants more growing time to make up for the lack of full sun. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance 😊

Latitude and Longitude?

Comment

29.389598. -81.594658 Thanks billyboy

Comment

Anything under 50° F will be really hard on cannabis plants and can stunt them. But you can always research cold tolerant strains and give it a shot. Why not

Comment

• River1
          River1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the information, Do you know if a plant that has been stunt by some cold weather, will this affect it if you plan on keeping the plant alive and let it go back into a vegetative state? Sorry for the noob questions. And thanks in advance.

• Orggrwr
          Orggrwr commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't let them go into flower in winter. It would be best to have some supplemental light to keep them in veg. Only need a few seconds of light in the middle of the night to keep them from flowering.

Assuming you are using feminized photoperiod from seed ...

My $0.02 is you shouldn't go outside until 4/20/24. So get the beans in water around the first week of March and they'll be around 7 weeks old to go out. Keep a couple of fans in the tent (the tops should be dancing) so the stems get tough enough to handle wind and rains. That will be a 5 month veg (12/12 comes on Sept 27th) so plan on some soil amendments. Watch out for the Jun-Sept months with temps 90++. If you have not picked the strain look for some that like the heat. Harvest in November.

Here in Massachusetts they go out around 6/1 and harvest is in October.

Comment

• shadycon
          shadycon commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct!!! I grew up in Fla and starting in Jan. is inane unless you have a hothouse.

Will do and thx for the information and you're time. I will definitely do this at the correct time. And now I know the correct time for my area. I have some experimental seeds that was free that I actually started. I have been very board as of lately haha. I am curious to see how the plants go back into vegetation .

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X