Nutrient recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrient recommendation

My plants get through the veg stage well enough but when I switch to flower the growth almost stops and my yield is poor. The best single plant yield I've had is 20g (3/4 oz). I think I need a good nutrient to give them a boost.
    I live in a country where my only source of plant nutrients, other than paying high postage costs, is my local gardening centres. I understand that products differ from country to country but, as an example, I've tried orchid food during flowering and that seemed to have a positive effect. Has anyone else researched these type of products and found a good one?

I don't know which country you are from or what medium you are growing in but hydroponic nutes will be readily available pretty much everywhere except Antarctica.

What light are you using in what size grow space? Your plants should at least double in size within 10 days of flipping to flower. If nutes were your issue the leaves would show deficiency badly at this time.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

I use basic seedling potting compost mixed with perlite. I've not seen anything related to hydroponics available, not that I was looking, but I'd like to know what makes you think they are universally available.
      I bought a grow tent kit from China. It has a 2'x2'x5' tent and a 600W LED light. I've finished 4 grows and they have all followed the same pattern. My plants always look healthy and vigorous and I let them grow to about half the available height and then change the lights although I've been using some auto flower seeds lately and they tell me when to reduce the light. Even during flowering there is no indication of any issues apart from the lack of growth and poor bud development. The crops have generally been good to smoke.

Comment

• SGD
        SGD commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure how I would 'check my light' other than to see that all the LEDs are functioning, is that what you mean? I did think that maybe the light was a problem but I'm not knowledgable enough to know what the problem is. I have noticed I sometimes get some indications of light burn which I can only counteract by reducing the on period as the light is already at max height and doesn't have a dimmer switch. I've looked at the spider farmer SF1000 which I can get on amazon for about $140.

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a pretty good 100W LED. The dimmer model is the go and they have a new evolution model with latest high efficient diodes..

What country are you in?

• SGD
        SGD commented
        Editing a comment
        I live in Hungary where it is illegal to even think about drugs and the authorities will jail you first and ask questions later.

Hi SGD I'm no expert on nutrients so take this for what is worth...if you are in a place where cannabis nutrients are unavailable, I'd suggest looking at tomato plant food. That's what I've picked up on from people in this forum. If it's good for tomatoes it is probably good for cannabis. To really give some meaningful help requires a bit more information from you. Tell us about your grow. Soil? Coco? Hydroponics? Temps? Humidity? Grow equipment, fans? Exhaust fan? A good environment is just as important as plant food. I'm sure Bluey will chime in some more about the light, but a couple of thoughts. Is your light really producing 600w? The true wattage for LED grow lights is the power they draw from the wall as opposed to the wattage statement from the manufacturer. Are you following the recommendations for how far above the plants to hang the light? I have two HLG lamps that both have different height recommendations. My thought is your harvests are small because your plants are using all the grow medium nutrients during veg and there is nothing left for flower, should be a fixable problem.

I grow autos. What do you mean by this, "then change the lights although I've been using some auto flower seeds lately and they tell me when to reduce the light." ? I'm curious because I've not run across any auto seeds that call for a reduction in light at any point during the grow, so I am probably just misunderstanding what you mean.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
      Autopot system
      : Malawai 100% Sativa Ace Seeds x 2
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Purple Haze/Malawi x 3/Ace Seeds Purple Haze x 1 ILGM
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        What is the brand and model of light?
        Does it have a manufacturers sticker or plate on it. Look on the driver and also the light itself. Take photos of them and post the pics.
        You can measure the power draw easy enough with a clamp meter if you in one but I'm guess I ng you don't.

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        What brand/model is you light? I run my autos 20/4. I like the plants to get a rest period...some say for autos that's not necessary. It's really your choice.

• SGD
        SGD commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a Mastergrow, I've added a pic below of the sticker. I can't access the driver without taking it apart. Here's alink to the kit I bought (it's kit B).

It seems that the problem could be not enough hours of light in the flower stage as I have been following the grow instructions on here and switching the lights from 24/0 to 12/12 which I didn't know didn't apply tt the auto fem seeds I have.

Are you unable to order from Amazon? I've had good results with Fox Farm soil trio. And it's not expensive. I don't know how shipping works in your country.
      SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
      AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series
      3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake
      Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• SGD
        SGD commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have to order from Amazon in Germany and pay some hefty postage costs. They don't have Fox Farm products but I looked at similar items and the cheapest deal was over $40 for a bag of soil mix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231125_162904.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	609560
      This is the sticker on the led light.

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a terrible light.

Hard to calculate but it is somewhere between a 45w and an 80w light.

I suggest next time you not buy from Ali Express but direct from the manufacturer or a reputable online seller.

Spider Farmer will sell to you. Go to their website. Avoid Ebay.

You need 30w/ft² for flowering photoperiods.

• SGD
        SGD commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about your calculations there. Standard grid voltage is 230V here and, according to the label the operating current is between 0.3A and 0.6A.
        P=VxA so 230x0.3=69W and 230x0.6=138W which puts it in the range of what is required according to your previous comment. Maybe there are others on here that could clarify this. What is disappointing is the claim that it is 600W.

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't know unless you measure it but would be around the 75w mark.

What is more important is the spectrum and the diode efficacy. I'm guessing;its terrible and not where you need it.

The new LED lights made nowdays are fantastic. Most of the lights are pretty much the same spectrum, HLG are heavier in red spectrum which gives them a higher efficiency. They are great lights but you really pay a premium for them.

You want a full spectrum light that uses between 140w and 220w for your 2 x 2.

Cannabis requires Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium as their main ions. Other micro nutrients are also needed for peak health. If you are growing under LED you will need to add some calcium and magnesium as part of your fertilizer routine.

I use an all in one product from a company called General Hydroponics. I use their Floranova line. The nutrient makeup is 7-4-10 for their vegetative base and 4-8-7 for their bloom base. If you can find a liquid or powdered nutrient comparable to these ratios at your local garden center I would use those. Calcium and magnesium can be bought at your local drug store. Calcium pills crushed up into powder and added into your water will work. Unscented Epsom Salts will take care of your magnesium needs. 1 teaspoon per gallon.
      Last edited by Rootsruler; 11-27-2023, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I like to post this for those that aren't sure what to give their plants when.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nutrient needs in stage.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	609687

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X