Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying advice sought

First things first:

1) Current herb is very pungent and my wife who I swear has a nose like a deer, finds the odor nauseating.
    I have trim and the buds of one plant in the freezer. I had to harvest this one plant slightly early because it was not doing well and waiting for amber trichomes was not going to be doable. The plant would not have survived. I plan to use it for edibles. The rest of the crop ( the other 3 plants ) I was able to grow to maturity and dry & cure in the garage. I had to put up with her near daily complaining about the odor in the garage and back part of the house about the drying herb and that was with minimal opening of the door to the garage.. The garage is attached to the house so some of the odor from the plant material was making it into the back part of the house where the laundry room is. The weather was still dry so my wife, who still works, was parking her car outside.

2) Now that winter weather has started we need to keep the car in the garage. My options for drying the stuff that is in the freezer seems to be limited. The only option I see is waiting until next summer and drying the stuff in the garage then.

I just don't know about trying to do an oven dry + decarb, because I am sure it will stink the whole house up.

If someone has an idea that I have not considered I would appreciate hearing about it.

You can't stop cannabis from emitting its aroma. Come to an agreement with your wife so neither one of you has to put up with friction.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Can you not set up a large carbon filter and fan and just scrub the garage air? It'll still smell a little but it should remove most of the smell and should remove enough of it so that it doesn't permeate into the house. If, after all that, it still smells please send me seeds or a fem cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsruler View Post
        Can you not set up a large carbon filter and fan and just scrub the garage air? It'll still smell a little but it should remove most of the smell and should remove enough of it so that it doesn't permeate into the house. If, after all that, it still smells please send me seeds or a fem cut.
        Sorry, I do not have any seeds or saved cuts! It was the Pistachio strain from Humbolt. Overall I am very pleased with it. Very tasty and a pleasant body and mind effects. I had it in a hobby greenhouse with 3 fans blowing 24/7 to keep the air moving during the growing season and I could still smell it when I was down the block several houses away. So much for keeping it inconspicous. I live in a legal state, but still, no need to advertize. Not a good strain to grow outdoors in a city neighborhood.

Comment

• Rootsruler
          Rootsruler commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm talking more in regard to drying in your garage and scrubbing the garage air.

You should consider getting a small set of hash bags and washing whatever you have in the freezer into bubble hash. In the future, a small tent would help you for drying and controlling odor. If your girl bitches about the smell of cannabis I would consider replacing her. Best of luck

Comment

Create a separate space (tent or other closure) and run a fan w/filter to exhaust it. Get creative with the available space. A clean drying space that is at least semi contained will give a more stable/controllable way to dry. 6mill vapor barrier is a cheaper alternative to a tent and you can build it to shape.

Comment

I dry my herb in the house, in the tent it grew in, with a carbon filter and fan set at the lowest setting to scrub the air. No smell outside the tent, or in the house.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
            Autopot system
            : 1 Scarlet Grapes & 1 Scarlet Sunset
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Idle at the moment
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

All your drying issues could simply be solved by trading in your current wife for a new improved model.
              Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
              Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
              Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
              Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
              Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
              Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

Ok, You have inspired me. I could get a large cardboard box, cut an air inlet hole, cut an outlet hole and cover it with this: https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-Naturally-Universal-Activated-Purifiers/dp/B07YMLNR46/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1ERTDZMTQU1O6&keywords=carbon%2Ba ir%2Bfilters%2Bfor%2Bhome&qid=1699107020&sprefix=c arbon%2Bair%2Bfilters%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-26&th=1 and have a fan inside. I could run wires/strings to hang buds,small mesh bags to hold sugar leaf trim. This just might work.

UPDATE:

Dearest wife agreed to parking the car outside for several days and letting me run a heater and fan in the garage to dry this last plant's buds! The heater has brought down the humidity already and the fan is aimed at the wall to provide an indirect, gentle breeze. Not sure why the sudden change of heart, but giddy-up!
                Last edited by HeavyMetal1; 11-04-2023, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• OldManGrower
                  OldManGrower commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never question good fortune. Pounce on that puppy pronto.

• OldManGrower
                  OldManGrower commented
                  Editing a comment

• OldManGrower
                  OldManGrower commented
                  Editing a comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X