Drying/curing prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying/curing prob

Thanks for all precious answers, on the final part now. Drying and curing…One test plant - I harvested a little early to practice drying/curing. Dried very quickly and fucked it I think. It dried in around 3 days inside a tent. Smelt fantastic at first then a hay/grass like smell, I guessed I dried too quick. So my prob is I’ve just wet trimmed my main plant, I haven’t weighed it but it looks around 2 ounces (guesswork). I don’t want to cock this part up now, humidity runs at 55-60% with a dehumidifier on but the temp is too high around 24-25c. Any way I can bring the heat down or slow the process down. I’m reading it should dry slowly…

TiA
    HDK

FFS!

A 10yo know how to lower the temperature in a room. Surely you can too
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      No need to insult on a personal level.

It was more of an all round question about the whole process…Last part of a first grow with two ounces potentially out the window…I’d say a ten year old probably knows how not to get things mouldy but you managed that one right? 😁

Comment

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I did. Circumstances were such I was running on reserve power and couldn't run the dehumidifier. Out if my control

Have you looked at the drying/curing tutorials on the GWE web site?
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Hdk40 You're right: you do have to control temp and humidity for every phase of a successful cannabis grow. It's normal for you to smell a grassy smell while it's drying; the other aromas develop over time and throughout the cure. You'll find all the info here: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Cheers all that will do me 😊

Comment

Here's how I do it. Timeline will depend on how big your plant is. This all happens in an environment as close to 60/60 as I can get it. Air movement is critical to keep mold from forming. No direct air on plants. Set up your circulating fan to create a swirl of air in the tent so that air is constantly moving across the flower but not directly at it. Exhaust fan should also be on to move the moisture evaporating from the plants out of the tent.

I cut the whole plant down and hang the plant in the tent upside down. After it's been hanging for a few days I remove all water leaves. After a few more days it should be dry enough to be able to break down the branches from the main stem. I hang the branches and check flowers daily for dryness. I want them slightly crispy but squishy. This means outer portion of the flower is dry and inside is wet. Once they hit this level I remove the flowers from the branches, trim them and put them into jars. I check them the next day and the dry outer part will rehydrate pulling moisture from the center of the flower. If they're too wet still I'll lay them out on a dry screen and let the outside of the flower dry again. Once they're dry I put them back in the jar and check again the next day to see how wet they are. If they're not too wet I leave them in the jar and start burping twice a day the first week and, depending on how dry they are I reduce the burping to once a day. After a couple of weeks they should be at correct dryness. I continue burping for another couple weeks to let them cure and bring out the taste and aroma.

Some people like to remove the branches from the main stem while the plant is still in the pot. Your flowers will dry a little faster this way and it'll be a little easier to manage but, IMO, it can dry too quickly if you aren't on top of it and the result will be hayish tasting weed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hung to dry.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	607073

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X