X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermie?

Is this what I think it is?
    Attached Files

Yes, that looks like a Hermie. Had to kill one of mine this week. Sorry for your loss.
    2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

• shadycon
      shadycon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

shadycon, why don't you just pick off the hermies and let the plant continue to grow? It doesn't make since to kill the plant. Some of the best weed I ever smoked came from a hermied plant.

Comment

kingfish that is the eternal question is it not...? Personally I kill them because no matter how hard I try to remove all the balls I'm sure one or two will get through and pollinize the whole grow room. But if you think you can stay on top of them, sure it's worth a shot.

Comment

• shadycon
        shadycon commented
        Editing a comment
        In Quarantine.

A few years ago I would have said "free feminized seed", then I grew those seed and all I got from them were Hermies! I feed the seed to the mice, and the plants went to compost.

Comment

If you keep them alive and miss a ball or two there is always the nostalgia angle. You can pull out that old Woodstock album, roll the seeds out of the flower between the creases of the album cover, all while listening to Commander Cody "Stems and Seeds (Again)" blues. Why I'm getting so choked up about the memories and a particular bag of Columbian Red Bud that I'm regretting chopping my own Hermie this past week.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupSeeds And Stems (Again) · Commander Cody And His Lost Planet AirmenLost In The Ozone℗ 1971 Geffen RecordsReleased...

Last edited by BaccaRacca; 09-26-2023, 11:37 AM.
        2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
        2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
        2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
        2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir Big Bamboo classic when i was in high school

• BaccaRacca
          BaccaRacca commented
          Editing a comment
          OK. First person to find a Big Bamboo album with the paper intact, we're partying at your place!

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I had one until I got robed, many LPs taken, yes I cried.

You can't remove the balls out of a big thick bud...it's almost impossible to tell the difference from unopened female or male bracts in the bud without them opening.

People don't like pulling seed out of bud. And joints that go bang and pop are annoying.

Seeds break the teeth of most hand grinders, very annoying.

Early stage hermies produce less female flower in my experience.

People would rather breed out hermies rather than grow more.

One early stage hermie can make a whole grow room full of seedy bud.

The perception that hermies are the product of less professional growers.
        Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
        Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
        Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
        Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
        Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
        Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

• shadycon
          shadycon commented
          Editing a comment
          1. plant in quarantine
          2. look at pictures, small buds and sac on the underside
          3. as for seeds, I'll see what happens
          4. marygin
          5. oldest plant, full of flowers
          6/7. see # 1; I'm still learning and this is an experiment in progress
          8. wrong; hermie's are natural, not made by less professional growers

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          @shadycon
          8. Hermies may happen in nature because of adverse conditions, such as high RH and light cycle interruptions (BTDT), can also be because of piss pour genetics (BTDT). Hermies created by the so called pros are induced with stimulants such as CS, STS, etc. and are said to be less likely to pass on the hermie trait. All hermies pass on a tendency to create hermies, it is the next step in evolution for our plant to become self pollinating, something we should avoid. This is why there are groups out there that collect land races and avoid feminized seed.
          Good luck and enjoy the experiment.

This plant is in quarantine; I'm have only found 2 suspect sacs [1st post], this is what I'm seeing now. I'm using this plant as a visual learning aid. This helps me study how the plant grows flowers vs sacs.
        Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          How interesting when i had hermie last year outdoor i tried pulling off the pollen sacks but finally decided to ax it cause it kept producing them

• Sixwinds
          Sixwinds commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea, I learned that sometimes it's worth the experience/learning to let something go that would otherwise cull. Nothing beats first hand experience.

One more???? Considering these seeds are of unknown origin I am going to keep it and see what happens. Would picture #4 above be female starting more flowers?
        Found this today, male flower/pollen sac???
        Attached Files
        Last edited by shadycon; 09-28-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, them be male balls.

• shadycon
          shadycon commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for confirming my suspicions

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X