LED light choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED light choices

I am a brand new grower. 1st time pretty much. Last 2 times I had help, or I was the help and they were stolen. Pretty much discouraged me from growing. I have 3 outdoor in the ground plants and though I kept a decent journal of watering, problems and when I feed, I never can be sure which strain each is as they were given to me as seedlings. One I just harvested, possible a bit early... That being said, I have 2 auto flower seedlings, I will need to bring in doors due to weather and am looking for an led light. I have read so much, I am confused. Looking at the HLG 600 Rspec as I plan to continue to grow indoors as well as outdoor when weather permits. Finally the question... Can I use this size on theses smaller grows so I don't have to purchase multiple lights as I increase what I grow. I will probably due more auto flower (3-4), as I have the seeds, after these 2 are complete. I am using a closet approx. 5' x 8' that has shelves right now. In a cold winter climate so my challenge should be temp and humidity control which I have help with. The seeds are GG4 from ILGM. I will be using Fox farms Ocean Forest soil.

BrynneCMartinez welcome to the forum. I have that light. I think you will like it. I believe it will work in that space. It has a 5x5 flower foot print at full power. I use my R Spec in a 4x4 tent. It dims really well. IMHO you can use it and not have to buy multiple lights along the way. But be careful because its powerful, right? I have only ever grown with HLG lamps. I think they are the best. I use an HLG 350R in a 3x3 tent. It's a good light as well.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
    Autopot system
    : Malawai 100% Sativa Ace Seeds x 2
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Purple Haze/Malawi x 3/Ace Seeds Purple Haze x 1 ILGM
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

That's a good light. How is your ventilation? With that size area I would go with at least a 6" exhaust fan and carbon filter. You need air movement. Definitely not a fan of that seed bank. White label trash.
      keeping it green with the soil thing
      love me some frosty autos
      braap
      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Rootsruler
        Rootsruler commented
        Editing a comment
        Bigger. 8" at least.

• BrynneCMartinez
        BrynneCMartinez commented
        Editing a comment
        My husband will install the ventilation for me. I'm not sure I need the carbon filter as odor is not an issue where I live. Can you suggest a good seed bank? I wasn't a fan of their selection but needed to get something started fast as I had just killed 4 seedlings. I think from heat/water/soil issues. Expensive failure. Any help and suggestions is welcome and greatly appreciated. Funny thing is I really am getting obsessed with this process and I do not smoke. I grew up around it and love the odors and beauty of the plant. My dad had a green thumb and was able to get quality seeds back in the late 70's and early 80's. My husband will be my tester.

If I was buying a light for that space I'd go with a Medic Grow Smart 8 or a Gavita 1700e Pro but the HLG is a nice light too.

Welcome! Some experienced growers on the site. You should have no problem getting to harvest.

Comment

• BrynneCMartinez
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion. I think I was on the Medic Grow site. I will look up those prior to purchase.

Hello and welcome if i may suggest you use to plant the seeds in a soil without fertilizers to start them off. Very light an fluffy seedling soil, then when they are ready to transplant after few wks of growth under a not so strong light that soil will not harm them. Some soils are too strong on sprouts roots. Tell us more about your plan from germinating to pots.

Comment

• BrynneCMartinez
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advise. Next time I will start them like that, maybe Happy Frog???. Do you have a suggestion? I'm not real good with soils. Seedlings are started and did get a bit of nutrient burn possibly but seem to have come out of it now. I do worry about the light being to strong, but was wondering if the dimmer would help with that and possibly a little extra distance. I am looking for high potent and tight buds that my husband prefers. I am buying 3 gallon fabric pots and trays a ph control kit as suggested on the site. My husband will install an exhaust fan, timer, any controls I need. Not sure about the inlet fan and humidity controls yet. I have a meter checking humidity (RH) and temp in the closet now as I am drying the one plant I have harvested. I have a small fan circulating the air and I leave the door cracked to let "fresh air" and AC in and I keep the room dark. Funny thing is I love this process, and I do not smoke. I am amazed at how obsessive I am being over everything. I have had some interesting challenges with the weather (super rainy August) and its a bit tough to realize I may have to make mistakes to learn. I thought it would be easier, but still love it.

Can’t speak on that light but definitely listen to the two above posts about ventilation and hot soil. Best of luck! Lots of good stuff on this site.

Comment

North Atlantic seed company is a great seed bank in the us. They carry a lot of top notch breeders. Everyone will have their own opinion on breeder and it somewhat depends on if you are growing photos or autos. Humboldt seed co, mephisto autos, and twenty20 are my 3 favs ✌️&💚

Comment

HLG make excellent lights but so do the Chinese now. Same spectrum and much cheaper. Same diodes too.

If you plan on filling your 8x5 space I'd go with two lights, ideally totalling 1200w for photoperiod plants or 30 to 50% less wattage if you are only ever going to grow autos.

The best lights currently available are the light bar style, they have the most even light distribution, but you cant really go wrong with quantum boards either and they provide best bang for buck.

Plan your space then pick your lights
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
          Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
          Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X