Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do outdoor plants almost always have fluffier buds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do outdoor plants almost always have fluffier buds?

Newer grower (one plant last summer, about 10 this year), looking to find out from experienced growers if most outdoor plants tend to almost ALWAYS have fluffier buds than hydro/indoor grows. No matter how well I tended to my plants and gave them nutrients as recommended, my buds always turn out to be less dense and fluffy compared to everything I've bought from connections over the years. I'll get decent yields on my outdoor autoflowers that look great on the plant and leave me thinking "Well, that one should be able to give at least 2+ oz. when dried", but by the time things dry and cure, I'm coming in between 0.5 and 1 oz. tops due to lack of bud density. Last years' first plant was a photoperiod and gave me about 2 oz. due to the size, but the autoflowers all kept very short at around only 18"-28" tall even if not trained so I know I can't expect a huge yield growing those outdoors since natural light during the summer won't give them as much growth as photoperiod (but it was nice being able to rotate new batches frequently even with that downside to smaller height/yield).

I'm going to be starting with some indoor hydro growing soon and I'm sure I'll see the difference there in the months ahead on my first harvest that'll happen around the holidays, but just wondering if it's absolutely typical to have outdoor grows have buds that just won't get dense and where the final weight will typically be significantly less than expected due to that situation. Any input is appreciated!

Lots of varying factors impacting outdoor grows. I've never grown autos and only had 2 indoor grows but so far I'd say density is consistently better on indoor grows and healthier flowers also.

I found growing outdoors that full all day sun was key to high yields.
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Certainly the sun is a very strong light and light is key when it comes to weight, short answer is yes, indoor is often more reliable to get the desired final product because you control everything. Outdoor the temperature and light hours dictate the bud structure so if you were to grow indoors without ac and leaving the light more than 12 hours a day you'll end up with the same fluffy buds. But if you live in a cold enough place and flower at the right time harvesting end October and get plenty of sun you'll have very dense and big buds. I grow outdoors year round and always have density and structure issues in summer.

​​​​​​genetics play a huge role, don't ever grow autos but I wouldn't be surprised if you get better results with a high quality photo strain from a trusted breeder. Good luck with your indor

Comment

Sativas can certainly put off less dense buds as in airy fluffy even fox tails, its their defense from bud rot and mold in the extreme heat. High temps can also cause this even with indicas, the plant I just harvested (its been 100-110*F here with high humidity) has lots of nice hard buds, so genetics and heat. Indoor one can control the heat, humidity light etc..

Comment

I wish we had the same strong intense bright sun days for 4months but nature does'nt comply like controlled indoor. I had hard buds with the autoflowers earlier harvest this summer but now temps, humidity amounts of daily sunshine have gone. We may get upper 80's for several days then lower 70s cloudy spots of rain high humidity like now. I don't expect to have solid bud structure. I can only hope for no mold/PM or heavy budworm damage. It's more work now as we look towards ending our grows. I try to protect my plants as best i can is all i can do. And hope that the sept. forcasts stay warm and sunny as much as we need rain it's a mold maker. I had to place my 7 photos under cover since Thursday and today it's suppose to be sunny an dry i'll drag them out for sunshine. Crossing my fingers i've not got PM growing.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Long story short the hotter the climate, the airier the buds!

Comment

While temp can certainly fluff up bud structure at the end of the day genetics is what plays the most important role.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback, I'm guessing the inconsistent weather and now the reduction in sunlight are the main factors in why I've had such a struggle with fluffier buds. It has gone from 95 degrees down to the 60s a few times over the past few months, which certainly isn't helping things with the wide shifts in range. But, it was hot as hell for half of June and all of July, so if heat can be a big one, then yeah, that's obvious now that sweltering summer heat isn't beneficial. And, the fact that I grow on an upper patio where sunlight can be more sporadic after July won't be doing any favors as well, I'm having to move my plants around a few times each day just to make sure they don't get into the shade for too long. Looking forward to my indoor grows starting soon, can't wait to actually have full control and see what kind of buds can be produced once I'm not dealing with 2 big factors changing on me constantly here in the Midwest!

Comment

2023 LOW PRODUCTION

Anyone else experience poor crop production this year in SoCal? I think the poor weather was the main contributor to poor results. Many days of no sun, o'cast all day. 8 photoperiod plants in 7 gal fabric pots, used premium soil, known nutes, filtered & Ph'd H2O, moved pots inside at night (cold, sometimes o'nite rain) under fluorescent light all night.

Comment

Hello from the OC. My gal is in a 5 gal fabric pot. I don't think this year was much different. It got really hot for a few week which made her stretch like hell, but otherwise it's been a pretty good season. Today is harest day!

Comment

I'm not is SoCal, its been hot here 100-110*F, 1 of my plants yielded 46 quarts, her sister is still out in the cooler temps, and the Colombian Purple is getting it on! The other early girls put up about what I expected. Not a bad year here.

Comment

46 quarts? I use quart Mason jars, weight 1 oz per jar. You saying you net 46 oz from the one plant?

Comment

• Rwise
                          Rwise commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do not weight it, just jar it up, and well I miscounted its 48 QTs.

• SoOrbudgal
                          SoOrbudgal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It happens johnb1963 i've seen 14ft MJ plants 5ft round or more. I have seen people get 3+lbs from one plant. Best i got and did'nt really try was 1 1/2lb off one plant but that was 8yrs ago or more. I never want to deal with those big plants again.

Heres whats currently in burp, a plant hanging that wont make this much and 2 waiting for harvest that should make about as much, maybe more.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                          SoOrbudgal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes very impressive Rwise i hope to just get 30quarts from my smaller indicas.

So i've read this post a couple times and decided to comment on my grows i've done outdoors. I've always done high indica hybred strains, not 100% indicas but some were pretty close to it says the folks who've i traded with in the past. I've grown 50/50 strains of indica an sativa and with those outdoors in the PNW you take your chances. I'm lucky to be in the southern end of Oregon cause the weather is much better than say Portland/Vancouver an farther north. I'm running some 80/20 mixed strains and probley a couple of more sativa leaning strains and those take longer to ripen i've experienced. And tend to be more fluffy not as dense where my indicas 80/20 are hard really dense. And the pots are plastic 15gal. not big but suits me. I've babied these plants given them water daily and mostly 2xday when it's in the upper 90's. I don't like 13ft. trees to care for i'm not up to loosing 1/2 the plant to rot or worms. I grow short photoperiods no bigger than 6ft and some as short as 3ft. Always in full sun from mid June till now and i move them as to follow the sun later in the season like now.
                        Only larfy buds i've had are harvested to soon an getting mold/PM which i may get with the 2 that are'nt ripening just shooting white pistils still. I don't train them other than pull branches away from touching eachother. I did'nt top this year. It's a strain thing as much as temps and sunshine. My 2cents and sorry for the long story. Keep trying
                        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                        indoor/outdoor grower
                        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X