Flies developing in my tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flies developing in my tent

I have basement grow setup, it's very tucked away in a crawl space in a tent so it would be difficult for outside pests to be introduced. however, I was checking them today and I noticed that one or two leaves had a yellow spot and a tiny hole. I also spotted a very tiny fly on one of the leaves. It's smaller than a fruit fly so I guess it's some form of gnat. So far it seems like its just one singular fly that's got into the tent. how do I get rid of it before it causes more problems?

I go after individual insects with a dustbuster. (You have to do something to make sure the collected bugs die and don't crawl out.) I use a fly/sticky strip to go after larger numbers. Good luck.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Watch moisture levels in your medium and look for the appearance of fungus or green algae on top of your medium..sure to attract gnats.
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
      Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
      Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Ok. I'm about to pick up some of this

I figure spritzing this on the plants and medium should do?

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Dont use this on flowers!

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes your weed taste like shit. Like Rwise said:" Don't use during flowering.

Hold on there Atriax! There is a lot more we should know before making any recommendations. Kind of important stuff.
        If you are tucked away somewhere, what is your circulation like? Temperatures? Humidity? Supply and return air for the tent? If you stay in your space and change nothing of your environment, you will only grow more gnats. No matter how much you spritz.
        If you are going to spritz in a small crawl space, don't breathe or open your eyes. I don't care how environmental or bio-whatever it is. Poison is poison. If you spray during flowering, you are poisoning your buds.
        Soil attracts bugs. Soil often comes with bugs so you don't have to wait long to get them. Since I've grown in coco I have had no medium issues. Might have had spider mites?
        Without pictures, your best bet is to go to the GWE website and do some self-diagnosis. We can lead you in better educated directions with more information.
        Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Circulation should be decent? I have a tent with a fan filter vent. This crawlspace is also where the air and AC system is there along with my room which leads to the rest of the place, I'm unsure of the air supply and return
          Temp is 70-76 degrees 50% humidity.
          I use coco coir. Also no, I'm not in the flowering stage rn, i have a few more weeks of vegetation to go before I start thinking about flowering.

Not too sure of what can be done outside of the spary and maybe a fruit fly trap. so far the GWE forums and self diagnosis pages say to use the spray
          Last edited by Atriax; 07-21-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
            Hold on there Atriax! There is a lot more we should know before making any recommendations. Kind of important stuff.
            If you are tucked away somewhere, what is your circulation like? Temperatures? Humidity? Supply and return air for the tent? If you stay in your space and change nothing of your environment, you will only grow more gnats. No matter how much you spritz.
            If you are going to spritz in a small crawl space, don't breathe or open your eyes. I don't care how environmental or bio-whatever it is. Poison is poison. If you spray during flowering, you are poisoning your buds.
            Soil attracts bugs. Soil often comes with bugs so you don't have to wait long to get them. Since I've grown in coco I have had no medium issues. Might have had spider mites?
            Without pictures, your best bet is to go to the GWE website and do some self-diagnosis. We can lead you in better educated directions with more information.
            Here are some pictures.
            Attached Files

Comment

Still. Let's talk. I've dabbed, but I think I'm still coherent.
              Pictures would be a big help. Your spots and hole could be a number of things. Not necessarily bugs. Also, get a loupe or a camera that can zoom in real good to look for bugs. Underside of leaves seems pretty common to find many bugs.
              You said you saw a single insect. I have more insects in my beard and don't give them a thought. If you have one insect, get yellow sticky hanger things people like. They suck fliers pretty good.
              What sort of pot are you using? Is the bottom wet?
              You said your circulation is a tent vent. Circulation is moving air around and over the plants and soil. Ventilation is getting rid of and replacing air in your tent/grow area. All of that requires fans. Moving the air keeps fliers from landing and a couple other good things.
              Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

Still. Let's talk. I've dabbed, but I think I'm still coherent.
                Pictures would be a big help. Your spots and hole could be a number of things. Not necessarily bugs. Also, get a loupe or a camera that can zoom in real good to look for bugs. Underside of leaves seems pretty common to find many bugs.
                You said you saw a single insect. I have more insects in my beard and don't give them a thought. If you have one insect, get yellow sticky hanger things people like. They suck fliers pretty good.
                What sort of pot are you using? Is the bottom wet?
                You said your circulation is a tent vent. Circulation is moving air around and over the plants and soil. Ventilation is getting rid of and replacing air in your tent/grow area. All of that requires fans. Moving the air keeps fliers from landing and a couple other good things.
                I'll try and get better picture later.
                The type of pots i'm using are 5 gallon fabric pots. the bottoms are slightly damp

Comment

If you go buy spray, buy a yellow stickie. If the stickie doesn't work, use the spray.
                  Make sure your pots are not on a flat surface. I use chop-sticks to keep mine up.
                  Sounds like I'm telling you what to do. It's only my personal GWE love.
                  Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
                  3x3x6

Comment

Just saw the pictures.
                    In the first picture I see a brown spot in the lower left. In the second picture I see what looks like a dent. My experience is to keep an eye out for more.
                    They look like real healthy plants, otherwise. What's the strain?
                    Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
                    3x3x6

Comment

Just saw the pictures.
                      In the first picture I see a brown spot in the lower left. In the second picture I see what looks like a dent. My experience is to keep an eye out for more.
                      They look like real healthy plants, otherwise. What's the strain?
                      one is super skunk and the other is Critical x Northern lights. The spots seemed a lot more visible and a bit more of them this morning. maybe this is just an effect of the nutrient flush, and letting the soil dry for a couple of days.

Comment

Did I miss how old your plants are? Why did you flush? Auto, fem, or regular?
                        Dry soil will give you sagging leaves. Dry too long and they will die. Again, just from the pictures, you have happy plants. I keep a check on the weight of my pots and water when I feel they are completely dry. I get sagging leaves that perk up when water happens.
                        Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
                        3x3x6

Comment

Did I miss how old your plants are? Why did you flush? Auto, fem, or regular?
                          Dry soil will give you sagging leaves. Dry too long and they will die. Again, just from the pictures, you have happy plants. I keep a check on the weight of my pots and water when I feel they are completely dry. I get sagging leaves that perk up when water happens.
                          The plants are a little under a month old, still vegetating. the Crit lights is autoflower and the skunk is feminized . I flushed because I was overwatering and went too heavy on the nutrient ratio with the last batch and started getting nutrient burn. So to remedy that I aired out the soil and flushed with ph'ed water with no nutes. The topsoil is noticably getting dry so in a day or two i'll be resuming watering with nutes.

My setup is basically GWEs beginner guide, a 150w lamp, 5-6 ph water + dynagrow nutrients. 70-76 F 50% humidity, an internal rotating fan (forgot to mention the fan), and I attached a clip speaker inside the tent to pipe in music.

Comment

Originally posted by Atriax View Post

and I attached a clip speaker inside the tent to pipe in music.
                            Be careful with this. Even a small amount of Country & Western can have devastating consequences.
                            Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
                            Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
                            Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
                            Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
                            Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
                            Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
                            Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X