Trichromes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trichromes

Hello All, I’m trying to get a better understanding about trichrome color. If I harvest when the tri’s are cloudy it will produce more of a head high, if I harvest when there are more amber tri’s it will be more of a body high. Does this mean you can get an indica type effect from a sativa depending on when you harvest and vice versa, a sativa effect from an indica? Am I way off? Thanks for your help.

While that's the usual knowledge that's spread - cloudy trichs = head highs etc, it isn't a machine-like precision. There are other factors. My take is that if you want a sativa, then grow a sativa. Was there a specific reason why you're asking?

Comment

• Cschaffer
      Cschaffer commented
      Editing a comment
      No specific reason, just wanted to know what others thought. I’m fairly new to the whole process so I want more knowledge.

Great question and welcome to the forums!

Trichomes are one of several ways to decide when to harvest. You'll take into account the overall look/stage of the plant (ie. are the leaves fading, have the buds stopped fattening, etc.), what the pistils are doing (have they stopped putting out new white hairs, are they orange/brown, and shriveled up), and lastly the trichomes. When it comes to using trichomes to help decide when it's time to harvest, you'll get different opinions, but most will say to harvest at some point when they are mostly cloudy and up to 10-15% amber.

Now to your question. You're not way off, especially because of the way many articles about this topic are written. Many are written with the undertone that you can change the effects of your bud, but really they are just illustrating what will happen if you harvest too early or too late. You won't be able to get a completely 'opposite' experience from whatever the genetics are and using 'indica' and 'sativa' to describe the effects isn't always accurate rather it's a convenient way (even if erroneous) to lump different genetics into an extremely generalized category. However, if your strain produces more of an up effect, harvesting later (more amber trichomes) might make it a little more chill and vice versa if you're growing genetics that have more of a relaxing effect and you harvest on the early side. My recommendation is to harvest in the middle of the window to get the effects that the breeder says you'll get. That's usually when most/all of the trichomes are cloudy with up to 10-15% amber. If you want a relaxing effect, find a strain that does that and if you want a more uplifting effect get genetics that are known for that regardless of if it's an indica or sativa since most strains today are hybrids of both.

Basically what's happening with the trichomes is that different cannabinoids are being produced (or degraded) as they change from clear to cloudy to amber and it's important to remember that it's all of the cannabinoids, terpenes, etc. that create the final effect of your buds. However, you can use this to your advantage when you decide what kind of experience you're looking for.

Good luck, great question, have fun, and happy growing!
    Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
    Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• Cschaffer
      Cschaffer commented
      Editing a comment
      That definitely gives me more to think about and makes better sense to me. Thanks.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      If i really wanted to know or feel the difference i would try and find landrace sativa pure as you can get it and same with the indica no crosses. I'd grow 2 of each let them flower and harvest a full 10days past the cloudy visuals on the trichs for the sativas and allow the indicas to have 15% amber. I'm not into pure sativas nor heavy pure indicas, I've gotten into more CBD blends that i mix an grind with the indica hybreds.

What strain are you growing? If you are growing bag seed then its unknown. A pic of the plant and most here on this forum (GWE) can tell you if its indica or sativa. Me, i can only guess.

Comment

This is a perfect demonstration how the lack of research on weed leads to so many misconceptions. Following the "general wisdom" you should harvest a plant in three stages; when some of the trichs are clear, some cloudy, and and some amber. Then you can grind it up and make your own custom blend and get the effects you desire. Possible? Yes. But it's not something I would do. I would rather grow several different strains and blend them until I find something I like.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent points OldManGrower we old timers do sometimes think alike I too really enjoy growing 4 different strains at the same time.

I honestly think there is an enormous amount of misinformation in regards to sativa and indica effects and even trichome development arguments.

We need more research into this urgently.

Puff puff

Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 2 x Autos Greenhouse Seeds Amsterdam Sweet Mango, 2 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel. All feminised.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X