Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning for California growers about disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning for California growers about disease?

I haven't done a grow in a few years, but still try to stay up to date with everything new, and while reading up, came across this article. Not sure if it's a scam, or for real, so posting the link, just in case.
    seems to be a legit issue. Reason for edit was to add tags. Accidentally entered disease as reason, due to using my phone I can hardly see.

https://www.sfgate.com/cannabis/arti...n-18115205.php
    Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 05-25-2023, 03:22 PM.

I must read more, interesting read, and I find others to back it up like this link
    by Angel Fernandez, María Zuccarelli, and María de Catarina, MyFloraDNA For many years, growers and breeders have speculated why “dud plants” are seen across different cannabis crops. It is a fact that cannabis has faced many viral infections. Due to viruses and viroids, some varieties mutated into genetic changes over time, altering the evolution of …

Comment

It' seems to be a real problem for commercial growers because they rely heavily on clones for their stock, thus passing the pathogen on.

Comment

Now that we know this is legitimate problem, is it something that can be carried through the seeds as well? If so, I'm going to have to go back to importing seeds again when I start a grow.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's a huge bummer for large grows/commercial facilities. Which could explain possibly why some folks don't get " that feeling " they were looking for do to THC being decreased.

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it affects seeds, as in they can carry it, and its not just in Ca. it is spreading rapidly world wide.

Lord-Xanthor thank you for posting this. IT IS a game changer! It's being discussed all over the web and all of you as Cannabis growers, consumers and aficionado's WILL be affected by this in the future.

TAKE NOTE AND TAKE ACTION! NOW!!!

If this is in 90% of California farms the cannabis game has changed. It is everywhere. Seeds and cuttings have been flying out of California to the world for several years now. Protect your seeds if you can. But it looks like from this point forward weed HAS HLVD is a given and finding and protecting those without it is the new challenge. I really think this has gone too far to reverse. It’s just protection and adaption from here on out. This is NOT good news for cannabis world wide. It’s going to be an uphill battle. And I’m thinking adaption and moving on with it may unfortunately be the only real answer. I’m not sure there’s a solution. If you’re growing for distribution and or seeds protection and NOT passing on the virus is the new priority.

The days of ‘certified HLVD Free’ are just around the corner.

Three guesses what state has been feeding the world wide cannabis craze with legal-ish export of seeds and cuttings to companies around the globe. HLVD is HERE FOLKS and in a BIG WAY!

Comment

I'm pollinating now indoors from my 4 sativas and hybrids. Not one seed bank seed here. The youngest seeds have 8 years of proven local genetics..I'll be fine.
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 2 x Autos Greenhouse Seeds Amsterdam Sweet Mango, 2 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel. All feminised.
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• BU2B
            BU2B commented
            Editing a comment
            go Bluey !!! This is the NEW way folks. Tests kits are down to 10 bucks a pop. certify your plants HLVD Free BEFORE you distribute any seeds! PLEASE!

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey BU2B where you find those $10 test kits?

THIS IS SERIOUS FOLKS! PLEASE read the article in it you will see things like going to Spain and the FIRST sample pulled out of fridge at someone's house was POSITIVE for HLVD! They were sure it was going to be okay ... it was SPAIN! The sample was tested twice - It WAS positive. STOP AND THINK ABOUT THIS!!! IF the very first RANDOM sample from someone's fridge IN SPAIN is positive chances are good that your weed is positive as well. DONT DISTRIBUTE THOSE SEEDS!!!

In reality this means that in the future if this is not controlled harvests will be less, plant potency will need to go up to at least 30% to compensate for the 30% loss in THC and other cannabinoids and aromatics WILL be diminished - just like what has happened with hops.

DONT POO POO THIS!!! or its
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-25 123044.png Views:	0 Size:	166.8 KB ID:	596630
          and cannabis as we knew it and know it now is relegated to the history books. HLVD IS a Game Changer!
          Last edited by BU2B; 05-28-2023, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I just sent a question to the state to ask IF this is tested for, will be several days before I hear anything back. I'll be looking into those test kits!

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I also wonder IF we can clean the seeds with bleach, this could work IF its on and not in the seed.
              Looks like test kit prices are all over the place $88 for 3 kits, $210 for 10 kits, I'll also call a local supply and see what they have.
              Last edited by Rwise; 05-28-2023, 10:16 AM.

I hate to say it, but I wonder if there are negative effects happening to people consuming this thing.
            Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure there is what i've read is so far THC lowered but not heard from the medical end yet. But i'm sure something will be found soon and posted. What a mess for everyone.

If I was to haphazard a guess from comments above, this sounds like it's more wide spread than just California, and only reason it's stated 90% CA is because this is where most of the tests are performed? I'm curious to know what other states and countries are testing as well.
            Another thing I'm wondering, when was this discovered originally. Wouldn't be surprised if it has any relationship to Covid.
            Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 05-28-2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              I would be extremely surprised if it is related to Covid..totally unrelated would be my guess.
              Edit. It can't be related. One is a virus the other a viroid. Nothing like each other.
              Last edited by Bluey; 05-29-2023, 12:09 AM.

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I should have an answer as to testing in OK in a few days. When it jumped to cannabis IDK, lots of changes in our environment and more to come.

I'm saying this all wrong. Better example, like HIV causes AIDS, I was thinking more on the lines of COVID opening the door to something else. Let's just say, it's found out every state shows it's plants are infected with this disease, it only sounds logical something else may have been the catalyst for it to be this wide spread, unless it's something that's existed for a very long time and only just recently discovered. Heck, for all we know, this could have been something made long ago to destroy are plants that was assumed a failier, and something feeding it like a wild fire. I have seeds from when I first joined here years ago. I wonder if they are infected, or even if they are still good.
            Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 05-30-2023, 11:56 PM.

Comment

HLVd was first identified in hop plants, a close relative of cannabis, in the 1980s.
              In 2019, HLVd was first identified in cannabis when scientists confirmed the viroid’s presence in samples from a Santa Barbara pot farm. But by 2021, the viral pathogen had spread to at least 90% of the state’s pot farms​
              As far as C19 having any thing to do with it, no, look up the dif between virus and viroid.
              Hop Latent Viroid (commonly known as Dudding Disease) is a single-stranded, circular infectious RNA. It is not a virus. Let us explain the difference:

Viroids only replicate in plants. Also, viruses are more complex than viroids. Viroids are compounded by only RNA, while viruses are composed of a protein capsule enveloping their genetic material.
              Last edited by Rwise; 05-29-2023, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Bluey You want conspiracy, how about the cartels are sending bugs and diseases for us to combat since we no longer buy their shity product.

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                They have plenty of other things to peddle beside weed.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Ckbrew, they can keep those crappy product as well.

Kits not available local, yet, I was told there is a lab in Tulsa that does the test and is considering renting their machine out, sounds costly!

Decode this for me LOL
              Hello, Thank you for contacting OMMA. Hop-latent viroid (HLVd) might be offered by some OMMA-licensed laboratories. However, 442:10-8-1(i) Allowable thresholds and Appendix B show the regulated analytes.

OMMA Communications Team
              Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority
              Call Center. 405-522-6662
              omma.ok.gov | omma.ok.gov/contact​
              Last edited by Rwise; 05-30-2023, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post

Decode this for me LOL
                I used [no longer do] have to deal [put up with and decode] with lengthy [they like to hear themselves talk] non-answers [because we don't want to deal with you because you are nothing to us] all the time [OK just way to frequent for my aggravation].

Hello, Thank you for contacting OMMA. Hop-latent viroid (HLVd) [testing services (phrase omitted to cause uncertainty that you might think is your fault)] might [we will say something vague so we can't be pinned down] be offered by some OMMA-licensed laboratories. However, 442:10-8-1(i) [quoting the rule section, subsection and paragraph that you should have read yhourself] Allowable thresholds [the smallest amount of anything that could be considered worth noting or undesirable] and Appendix B [the place that really has the list of testing where you should have taken the time to look up yourself] show the regulated analytes [substances being analized (we just worded it this way so we could sound important)]. [Additionally if you find the official list, the thing you are asking about is most likely not on the list.]

Last edited by Ckbrew; 05-30-2023, 02:52 PM.
                Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would it not have been easier to have just said "no".

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For you it would, but not for them

Check out this link from today's news letter.
                By Nebula Haze Have you heard about Hop Latent Viroid infecting cannabis plants? Unfortunately, HLVd is a cannabis plant pathogen that infects cannabis plants and causes a problem known as dudding disease (also called “dudders” or “dud”) or Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent (PCIA). This viroid has recently been infecting commercial marijuana growers and shutting down...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X