No announcement yet.

How is is growing this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The outdoor plants are still chugging along. The fan leaves have been stripped, and there is a daily bud rot screening conducted every morning and evening. In the barn at night and outside in the day. I'm really pushing it having them out so late but as can be seen they just are not ready for harvest yet. The race is still on who will win, the buds, the cold or the rot?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_132844.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	605721

Some close ups

Name:	20230925_132208.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	605722

Name:	20230925_132216.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	605723

Name:	20230925_132239.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	605724
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
      The outdoor plants are still chugging along. The fan leaves have been stripped, and there is a daily bud rot screening conducted every morning and evening. In the barn at night and outside in the day. I'm really pushing it having them out so late but as can be seen they just are not ready for harvest yet. The race is still on who will win, the buds, the cold or the rot?

Name:	20230925_132844.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	605721

Some close ups

Name:	20230925_132208.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	605722

Name:	20230925_132216.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	605723

Name:	20230925_132239.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	605724
      Practically every outdoor grower I know has had bud rot this year.

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. We've had 3 seasons of it here and now it's turning to dry and hot seasons here. El Niño is upon us.

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh what i'd give for another week of sunshine for mine. I'm grateful to have covers over them but sunshine i'm gonna miss.

The outdoor grow is still going. Cloudy and 60s today but next week- high 70s and even 81 predicted on Tuesday! No rain forecast until next Saturday. So I will roll the dice. Everyday I scan for, find and cut the dreaded rot. A good handful every day. The short one has lost 50% or more and the other two about 35% each. I could chop and run but they just are not ready. i pinched some samples to check on the potency. If I can get one more week they will be so much more matured. They are really putting out the dank and it is a wonderful rich onion and skunk smell. There are still many white pistils but some are turning brown. The trichs are mostly clear with about 20% cloudy. Yeah, one more week of good 6-7 hour days of hot sun should do it. Outdoors this late in the season, unheard of. They spend the night in the barn to avoid the 50* nights and soaking with due. Just got to beat that rot.

The three remaining. They get the plant shuffle twice a day
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230930_095001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.15 MB ID:	606210

Some close ups
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230930_095048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	606208
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230930_095039.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	606207

The enemy
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230930_095106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	606209
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 09-30-2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Throwing in the towel, defeat achieved.

I fought the rot and the rot won. I even have not watered in an effort to dry them out. It just wasn't going to happen. The rot is one with these. Additionally WPM has set in and is covering the plants by the hour. There are about 20% of the small buds that do not have some sort of infection. If 80% is infected, that means that I can't see the other 20% yet but it is probably there. What is there is small and airy. The tall plants lost about 40% to rot pruning and the short one about 60%. Not worth the effort of cutting, trimming, drying and curing.

Anyway, part of this experiment was to see if there was a difference in yield by not topping, topping, and manifolding. The test was a bit skewed because the manifolded plant is about 5 weeks older than the other two. The best result was topping once.

Name:	20231008_132925.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	606759

This is why I have decided that outdoor growing where I am is just not practical. If I was going to attempt it in the future, I would light deprive the plants to flip to bloom much earlier than what nature would do. That would require moving the plants twice a day for the duration of bloom.​​

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          It's shitful hey.
          Growing season just started here a couple of weeks ago and I've got WPM on most of my palm trees. Not even going to attempt a grow outdoors. I'm done with that.

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          A long strange trip it has been this season. When the birch and oak trees have WPM, you know it will be an uphill grow. I'm gonna kick back and take a break for a while.

• GreenState
          GreenState commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to hear it Ckbrew, tough season. I'd suspect here in VT more than a few of the commercial outdoor growers
          are going to come up short. Might put price pressures on the legal pot shops. I don't believe state law allows for importation,
          it has to be grown here to be sold here. (don't quote me though <g>). I think I eked out with enough to last me a year,
          so at least it will keep me out of the weed shops--expensive ($105/quarter) After this rain and wind on Saturday, we went from peak foliage to a foot deep in the backyard!
          I almost commented on one of your earlier photos about seeing oak in the background, not much of it here, I know
          of a few areas, but it's not widespread like the other hardwoods.Lot of the old growth stuff was cut for ship building. Hard to believe VT was 70% cleared back in the day.
          All the best
          Last edited by GreenState; 10-09-2023, 09:01 AM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X