Sick plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick plant?

Hi, I am a first time grower and my plant is 6 weeks old. It was doing so well and then out of nowhere it just started to look like it's sick. each set of lower leaves started turning yellow and then brown before shriveling up and falling off. now it is moving up to the top sets and seems to be happening faster. It was accidentally left outside during a hail storm when I wasn't home a little more than a week ago. Since then the weather has been about 20 degrees cooler and one of my two plants just seems to be going down hill fast!! It bothers me SO much to see it this way but I am afraid of loving it to death but trying to fix it, or letting it die by trying to let it fix itself. Any suggestions? PLEASE HELP! I stopped watering it a couple of days ago just in case because of some things I read. But WTH! HELP PLEASE

I'm thinking nitrogen toxicity because the leaves are dark and shiny. But it looks like it's declining very quickly so maybe the roots are rotting?
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• jellybean
      jellybean commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the same thing about the nitrogen toxicity so I did a ph'd water flush. However, (judge if you want, or not, it's fine.) I take a few minutes each day, a couple of times a day to check out my plants. Upon further research and after the flush I started to think that it was in fact too much water. I hadn't changed the water but if you recall I said the temps dropped a good 20 degrees; I live in Missouri. So as you can imagine if too much water, then a flush which is basically a flood, probably not good. Also, I had just started giving nutrients a couple weeks or so ago but I did a little less than half of what the bottle said and introduced them in slowly and then went from there. So when I thought that she had nute burn I was like wtf but treated it accordingly only to then think I was completely wrong and it was the hail storm and drop in temps that did something to the water intake. So... Then, I was carefully poking holes with a pencil and making sure to aerate the medium because I know that oxygen is important for the roots. Each time I did that more and more liquid came out which made me think that was in fact the problem. It was taking SOO long to dry up that I added some dry "soil" to the top soil mix part of this pot and put it back in its original home, (under my lamp) but with a space heater under the table. After a few days it seemed to be doing better actually so i thought that it should probably be watered at least a little bit. The soil isn't different and the aggregation is at least the same. Giving it a bit of water when it seemed to be doing better looks to be the wrong move. I'm going to copy and paste this to response to all comments and thank you all for replying. If you have further advice, please let me have it. As of now I'm going to say it's inexperience, and Missouri weather. I'll keep you posted and am not giving up on her lol. The new growth looks really good but I feel like it should be faster and better. Maybe no water at all for a week or so? maybe a little less, we'll see... I appreciate all of your responses and hope that i addressed them all in this response. Thank you

A hail storm can kill a plant especially if the hail sits in the pot. You're doing the right thing though. Perhaps a flush with pH"ed water and no nutes then start feeding again... I'm not sure to be exact...
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• jellybean
      jellybean commented
      Editing a comment
      How does hail kill a plant by sitting in the pot?

• jellybean
      jellybean commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought it might have nute burn since I had recently introduced nutrients so I did a ph'd water flush. However, (judge if you want, or not, it's fine.) I take a few minutes each day, a couple of times a day to check out my plants. Upon further research and after the flush I started to think that it was in fact too much water. I hadn't changed the water but if you recall I said the temps dropped a good 20 degrees; I live in Missouri. So as you can imagine if too much water, then a flush which is basically a flood, probably not good. Also, I had just started giving nutrients a couple weeks or so ago but I did a little less than half of what the bottle said and introduced them in slowly and then went from there. So when I thought that she had nute burn I was like wtf but treated it accordingly only to then think I was completely wrong and it was the hail storm and drop in temps that did something to the water intake. So... Then, I was carefully poking holes with a pencil and making sure to aerate the medium because I know that oxygen is important for the roots. Each time I did that more and more liquid came out which made me think that was in fact the problem. It was taking SOO long to dry up that I added some dry "soil" to the top soil mix part of this pot and put it back in its original home, (under my lamp) but with a space heater under the table. After a few days it seemed to be doing better actually so i thought that it should probably be watered at least a little bit. The soil isn't different and the aggregation is at least the same. Giving it a bit of water when it seemed to be doing better looks to be the wrong move. I'm going to copy and paste this to response to all comments and thank you all for replying. If you have further advice, please let me have it. As of now I'm going to say it's inexperience, and Missouri weather. I'll keep you posted and am not giving up on her lol. The new growth looks really good but I feel like it should be faster and better. Maybe no water at all for a week or so? maybe a little less, we'll see... I appreciate all of your responses and hope that i addressed them all in this response. Thank you

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold roots..ice cold roots and game over

One of the things that stands out to me is in the first pictures there is lots of aggregate in the soil to help with drainage. The later ones seem to have very little with very dense dark soil. Roots gotta breathe.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes i agree with the above post as to the soil seems compacted perhaps and needs to be amended with some perilite. Roots are sufficating, the other plant looks like it's different soil? Also weed hates cold feet especially young ones.

• jellybean
      jellybean commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought it might have nute burn since I had recently introduced nutrients so I did a ph'd water flush. However, (judge if you want, or not, it's fine.) I take a few minutes each day, a couple of times a day to check out my plants. Upon further research and after the flush I started to think that it was in fact too much water. I hadn't changed the water but if you recall I said the temps dropped a good 20 degrees; I live in Missouri. So as you can imagine if too much water, then a flush which is basically a flood, probably not good. Also, I had just started giving nutrients a couple weeks or so ago but I did a little less than half of what the bottle said and introduced them in slowly and then went from there. So when I thought that she had nute burn I was like wtf but treated it accordingly only to then think I was completely wrong and it was the hail storm and drop in temps that did something to the water intake. So... Then, I was carefully poking holes with a pencil and making sure to aerate the medium because I know that oxygen is important for the roots. Each time I did that more and more liquid came out which made me think that was in fact the problem. It was taking SOO long to dry up that I added some dry "soil" to the top soil mix part of this pot and put it back in its original home, (under my lamp) but with a space heater under the table. After a few days it seemed to be doing better actually so i thought that it should probably be watered at least a little bit. The soil isn't different and the aggregation is at least the same. Giving it a bit of water when it seemed to be doing better looks to be the wrong move. I'm going to copy and paste this to response to all comments and thank you all for replying. If you have further advice, please let me have it. As of now I'm going to say it's inexperience, and Missouri weather. I'll keep you posted and am not giving up on her lol. The new growth looks really good but I feel like it should be faster and better. Maybe no water at all for a week or so? maybe a little less, we'll see... I appreciate all of your responses and hope that i addressed them all in this response. Thank you

I'm clearly not an expert but I believe that the drop in temps did something to the water intake. Therefore making my plant be " overwatered. " I don't plan on giving up on her yet, or at all so I will keep you all posted. If anyone has any tips or advice, please reach out, I am open to all suggestions.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you're closest to it. You'll get a ton of advice here but in the end it's up to you to figure out if it applies.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      It's OK jellybean shit winter can wreak havoc on plants without proper enviorrment. I deal with it inside my grow during winter. Just next time you grow use more perilite and keep reading tutorials on this site. Lots of methods to simplify growing lots of infor from us hear. You learn from every grow, and will get easier and more understandable. Keep trying. I had a heck of a time on my previous grow getting the pots to dry out, took 5+ days at the age yours is. Hang in there.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X