Fire Safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Safety?

Talking to Bluey, about mice. They're a good fire starter. I'm no Electrician, but, I'm given to understand there's other ways an electrical device can ~ seemingly quite randomly ~ do shit to Really spoil ye day?

Now, I live in a thatched cottage. I'm about to put a six foot high tent into a seven foot high room. Shove a load of electrical gear and water in there. Shut the door on it. And try not to have a nervous breakdown!!!

I mean; If someone came to me, told me that was Their plan? I'd be staring at them like they were growing another head!

But; We do it. All over the world, there's people loading all the same gear into closets, roof spaces, god knows where ~ especially the stealth growers. And, I must admit, I've never actually Heard of anyone's place going up in smoke, because of it. Doesn't mean it don't or can't though.

Someone, on here, ran these Elide fire extinguisher balls past me. I dug into them. 25 to 125+. Take ye pick. Try as I might, I can't find any hard data on their Actual performance. (Is there a Fire Service member among us?)

Bottom line? Anyone got any tips, or info', to maybe help us all sleep a bit better, knowing there's a Lot of Chinese made electrical gear sat there, live and out of sight?
    Older bloke. Eire. Chatty as all fuck.

Gearing up to grow Northern Lights Auto by DWC + Dribbler, with a " Spider Farmer Grow Tent Kit Complete SF-1000 Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Samsung Diodes 27" X 27" X 62"Growing Tent 4 Inch Fan Filter Combo " from Amazon.​

You can get arc fault circuit breakers. actually required in new construction in the US.
    A ground fault circuit interrupter outlet will protect on a two wire ungrounded circuit for ground faults.
    Any exhaust fan should have a high limit to shut it off it the temp gets too high (fire) Generally around 180-90F.

Comment

Don't use cheap Chinese lights. Period. Make sure everything is UL tested and grounded and plug everything into a good surge protector.
      keeping it green with the soil thing
      love me some frosty autos
      braap
      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

When I started growing, I had the same exact thoughts that you do so I did a lot of research to make sure I didn't burn down my house. A few things:

- As has been mentioned, make sure that your lights especially are legit and approved by UL or another safety certification organization
        - Don't overload your circuit! Do the math, add up the draw for everything you're putting on that circuit so that you know you aren't overloading it. Use the MAX numbers if things are adjustable. For instance, if your heater or lights are dimmable/adjustable, use the max setting for them when doing the math. You may need to use outlets that are connected to different circuits if possible. I was lucky in that my house is 180 years old, so the circuits aren't intuitive but it worked out that I had two outlets just feet from each other that were on different circuits so I didn't have to use extension cords. I recently remodeled our kitchen, and when we did that, I actually had the electrician run a dedicated circuit to my tent. Very fortunate for me and I know not everyone can do that, but you might be able to get an electrician to give you some advice depending on how undercover you need to be.
        - Don't use extension cords :-p And if you do, make sure that they're rated for the power that you're putting through them. Don't run them under rugs. And don't connect multiple extension cords to each other.
        - When setting up your tent, remember: wet stuff below the waist, electricity above the waist.
        - Make sure that you have smoke alarms, that the batteries work, and that the alarms themselves work.
        - Organization matters: make sure that all of your wires and cords are organized. This means above the waist, organized in your tent using non-conductive materials (I have some great clips that clip on the bars at the top of the tent that make cord organization a breeze!), etc.
        - Above all: Don't overload your circuits. Don't overload your circuits. Don't overload your circuits.

When in doubt, if it seems dangerous or questionable, it probably is. When putting together your setup, it's important to make sure it's going to work for your plants and you, but above all, safety should be your number one priority!

Good questions!
        Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
        Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

1)A dedicated circuit, just for your grow on it's own breaker.
          2)15 A breaker with 14 G wire or a 20 A breaker with 12 G wire
          3) GFCI terminated on the Line side
          4) as GB pointed out Arkfault breaker in the panel for your grow cirquit.
          5) cables tied up some what neat, dry and safe.
          6)power bars with good spike protection (i.e rating) 15A minimum if on 15 A breaker.
          7) Fire extinguisher near tent or better yet on the way to tent.
          8) Always inspect your equipment, loose wires, heat, etc
          9) All receptacles come with ratings 15A, 20A etc, do not use 15A recp on 20A breaker.

make sure connections are well done...enough stripped wire, tight, and no corrosion...and absolutely make sure everything is "well grounded"!! especially in the tent where you might have water, and spray with water etc

If any one here is using old Alum wire then nolox (anti oxidant is required on termination with copper).

note: things can be installed in a Safe, Neat but temporary manner...any runs with wire over 100ft you will need to upgrade wire size because of voltage drop.

just some basics... Put some Dam shoes on when your on wet, concrete..

It would be a good idea to have a smoke alarm near or in the tent...in the tent might be a issue with humidity..
          Last edited by changeofpace2014; 04-02-2023, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'll look into the Breakers 3 mentions. I have a couple of " Circuit Breakers " here. But, they'd be Decades old, by now. There's clearly new shit that I've never even heard of. Amazon shall, most likely, provide. And, what ever they cost? Fuck all compared to a fire! Peace of mind alone would be fantastic.

Hip's Surge Protector too! Abso Fucking Lutely going on my list now! We have a Lot of power cuts here. Some are planned. We get a week or so's notice of them. But, being rural? No telling when shit's gonna happen and we all sit, twiddling our thumbs for an hour or so.

Much more than that though? While I know absolutely Jack about power; I sure as hell know that, when that power clicks back On? Shit blows Out! I have a mitre saw down the stables. Laser on it. Power cut? Goodbye laser! I worked out / guess That's due to a Surge, when it all comes back up?

Not over loading circuits? Saw a Lot of that being drummed into us by Gweezy. Haven't yet got as far as trying to fathom what it all Means. But, it now seems Absolutely vital. Because, the scales have just lifted and I'm going for a grow in my Stables!

(For the record; I go to town once a week. Barely gone less than three hours. BUT: If shit happened in that tiny window? My Dogs are locked in this room. There's no one within helping range. Place burning down? Shit happens. Dogs being in it? Nope. I can only grow through Summer. Horses are a mile away then. Stables! )

But, yeah; When I had the place rewired, Spark ran me power to the stables. All proper and professional, of course. But, I only have a twin plug socket and electric light down there. Anyone got any idea how to work out what That can take, please?

'Cheap, Chinese lights'? Spiderfarm okay?

Anyone remember when I got here? Talked about one room, or another. Mentioned photo's. Shit like that. Said how my entire tent set was still sat in its box, in the kitchen.

It's still there! Only photo's I have is the state of the corner of the room I was fixing to clean up and put my tent in. Then, I did Nothing! (Okay; I've been buying up 'chemicals' and sundries like a man possessed!) But, I've never yet lifted a finger to clear that corner. And that constant niggle: 'Six foot tent. Seven foot ceiling. Thatch on top of it ..... Am I doing this???'

NOW we see why!!! I'm grinning like an idiot here! Bouncing off the walls with delight! THIS is why I've been so hesitant!

God! What a relief!

Gearing up to grow Northern Lights Auto by DWC + Dribbler, with a " Spider Farmer Grow Tent Kit Complete SF-1000 Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Samsung Diodes 27" X 27" X 62"Growing Tent 4 Inch Fan Filter Combo " from Amazon.​

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	763.1 KB
ID:	592913

Okay, lads; There's my fuse box. I Hope the photo doesn't blow the forums walls out? I don't think I'll Ever get the hang of this place. Please just forgive me as I go!

Thing is: Does that Mean anything, to anyone??? Obviously, I'm not asking for ~ or expecting ~ 'Professional Diagnoses'. Just, if anyone could, please, translate any of the above to That thing? Does it give any clue what what evers I'm dealing with here? Like, I see I have Four fuses dedicated to Sockets. I've no idea which fuse relates to Which sockets.

I'd also point out ~ if it isn't clear from that? ~ that I have No 'Cooker'. I believe people normally have a fuck off big wire for their oven alone? Not me. I just have microwaves and a single, stand alone, plug in hot plate. Shit like that.

I Guess the stables must come under one of those " Sockets " fuses. Yeah? Obviously, I Can start flipping those switches, try to figure out which governs what. I'd like to do that anyway. Could be good to know.

Comment

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't like to guess but looks like a sub board not a mains board. From left to right. 63A mains supply (10mm² cable), 1 10A lighting circuit, 40A residual current circuit breaker protecting 4 power circuits 20A and 1 oven circuit 32A.

• changeofpace2014
                changeofpace2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                Old breakers no longer manufactured will cost you $$$ even used....same deal here with old discontinued equipment, the new stove breaker was 300$ used, heads up....If you want to know how much the circuit is drawing put a Amp Clamp meter on that wire in the panel...Be very careful removing the dead front on the panel and the same when putting it back on...Be sure of the fit when you commit to screwing it back on..

• changeofpace2014
                Editing a comment
                Options..Replace the unused 40A breaker with a single pole 120v breaker 15 or 20 a and use the cooker wire but you will have to remove the existing cooker plug and add some boxs and gfci where the plug is or a electrician could potentially rework the 240 cooker circuit, add a fused disconnect and GFCI and the end where the cooker plug is. It really requires some one with electrical knowledge but there is the means to use some of the wiring you have in place. Perhaps call Sparky out for price and suggestion or better yet a electrician doing side work but not through a company.

You want this to be safe and trouble free.

Thatched roofs don't sound like roughing it to me but just 15kW electrical service? That's harsh. I assume you know you can't load up all those circuits all that way, that'd be way more than 63A main breaker. Good news is replacement breakers are available so they can't be too old. Did I miss it, I didn't see a smoke detector in your list. Also watts = volts x amps so the little 20A breakers are good for 4800 watts... probably enough for your entire grow.
              Last edited by 90Gizmo; 04-02-2023, 03:46 PM.
              Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
              Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
              Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Bluey Dunno, mate. It's the only 'board' I have :| No idea why it has an oven circuit. I suppose they just come as standard, on the box, do they?

Oh! Or is that the one on the far right? That's for my Shower! Guess That'd make sense? Electric 'power shower' probably pulls a bit, yeah? I know it has its own, pull cord, on / off thing, miles away from board Or shower.

Scared me to fuckin' death, first few showers!

Comment

• Bluey
                  Bluey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Elec hot water would explain that

I suggest you pick up a residential electrical wiring book. That will tell you all about circuits, loads, wire sizing, ect. The only way to find out anything for certain about your electrical service requires going through it with a meter.

As mentioned above. A smoke detector is the simplest, cheapest, most effective thing you could do right now.

If anyone has aluminum wire or copper clad aluminum in there home they should contact an electrician and get a professional opinion. It is dangerous and has been banned in the US for residential and many other buildings.
                SF 35X47X70 tent
                SF1000 X4
                AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
                AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
                FFOF Soil
                FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
                GH Flora Series
                3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
                Gelato Cake
                Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

90Gizmo Ah, don't be thinking of the picture postcard shit, mate! No. I just say " Thatched " because it's faster to type and people can grasp what I'm getting at.

It's actually ~ to give it its full and 'proper' title: " Tin Over Thatch ". That's to say, the old, original thatch is still there. But, at some point, the govt. basically went round putting corrugated iron sheets straight on top of the (Probably Juncus Rush?) thatches and entombed them.

I can only really speak for this place. But, I have no 'Loft Hatch' what so ever. Cut a hole in one of my ceilings and there's be bloody hell to pay! I know, because I've opened up bits above some windows. To put air vents in? Horrible experience! Forget quaint little places in the Shires, golden reeds. This shit's over a hundred years old. Brown. Rotten. Dusty! Vile! It can bloody well stay up there. But, ye see why it worries me?

Could be a load of bog oak up there too. Bloke I know re roofed his place. Lorry load of black and twisted oak. God knows what it was doing up there

My stables? Much happier prospect! Stone walls, like this place. But, I just had it re roofed. Corry asbestos gone. Lovely new, coloured tin sheeting put on. Much new timber. I mean, granted; I'd, obviously, be bloody devastated if That went up! But, it Would only be horrendously expensive to get the roof back on. Even if the horses were in there, they'd just need walk out into their pen and watch the spectacle.

I was down there, earlier. Took my thermometer, from the room I'd had in mind? Much warmer in the stables!!! How'd ye work that out?! Massive, high, wide open structure. Yet, a good 8F warmer than that pokey little, closed up room!

Originally posted by 90Gizmo View Post
                  probably enough for your entire grow.
                  This excites me! What else excites me is, I was just reading Neb's thing on growing in dinky tents? She specifically talks about the very light I have! I never realised it's just a 100 Watt job?!? I also have this 'big' tent here too. Four footer? Probably get three or four plants in there! It's not the cost of more lights, see? It's the perceived cost of Running them!

Anyway; Walk before I run, eh?

By the way, for the record? Far as I remember, I've now got Everything except the root rot stuff. Forget the names now. Sirius lists it all on his DWP Bubbler thing. Stuff he says has now become unavailable to Europe. (US made) But, a firm in UK's producing the same gear now. Only, Eire (Europe) and UK Jesus fucking christ! It's like two spoiled brats trying to make a divorce as septic as possible. So, we're having Murders getting That over here now!!! Shop up north has it though. No customs at That border. It's doable

Get that. Get the horses out on the land. Get fucking going!!!

Comment

Gold standard for electrical reference books.

Comment

One thing that should be done every few years is to tighten the screws on the breakers. And feel you cords for warmth as that is resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by changeofpace2014 View Post
                        Easy to use and it will let one know how much load is on the circuit with every thing on..Guessing is not best practice..
                        Ah. Yes. Those 'Multi Meter' type things. Thanks.

Know what, CoP? Like most blokes, I Like tools. Like most older blokes I've, by now, amassed quite a collection. Own shit now I could only dream of, as a young man. I'll buy a tool just for a single job. Happy that it too shall add to the haul they'll find here when I'm gone. " Christ! " They'll say. " Had some fuckin' tools, didn't he?! " I smile to think of that. Manly Points Earned.

But, I never yet got one of those meters. I could 'Test Things' with one. That'd be cool. Thus, one day, I purposely strode into the shop, in town. Wandered along the aisle and found Two models. Price was immaterial. But, which one?

I picked them up. One after the other. Glasses on. I studied the labels. Read the instructions. Digested all I saw. Put them back and left. Baffled.

I'd realised I'm just too fucking stupid to even try to use one.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                          Editing a comment
                          That meter is a Clamp meter for checking the amperage on a live circuit, all one needs to do is clamp the meter around live wire...No touching required.. When people coma-deer an existing circuit and start loading it up, generally they are not sure what else is on the circuit. Best practice is run your own.. Good luck...work carefully and un distracted...

• Bluey
                          Bluey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You've got to know how to use the meter properly. It needs to be zeroed once in place and only have 1 wire passing through it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X