I get to teach grow basics at work so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get to teach grow basics at work so

The hardware store I work at is finally selling grow products for cannabis (almost everything except the seeds). It took a lot to talk my boss into investing in this new section and I’m super excited. Now-I have coworkers who want to learn about the basics and products to better help customers, and I’ve been given the task since I’m the only one with any experience.
    I’ve been doing this since 2016, but only been doing my own personal thing since 2019 and I still feel like a newbie so I’m nervous I’ll miss something important. I’m currently compiling a folder with basics on set ups, lighting schedules, feeding, and trimming. What bullet points would you make sure to hit for beginners without being overwhelming?
    Sorry for the long post. I’m nervous and excited to help others in their journeys.

pH
    Climate
    grow medium
    Lighting
    Watering and nutrients
    Bugs and pests
    Sexing the plant
    Drying
    Curing
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I asked Bard, Google's AI, for instructions for growing cannabis. It was missing a little bit it might make a good outline. Anyway try done different AIs, it's what that are made for.
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Here's a thought.... Tell them to read the GWE website. It has everything from grow basics to plant problems and when to harvest... all the information a grower will ever need. And very simple to use. Starting a seed usually isn't difficult, its everything after that needs attention.
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Comment

• Ladycontinent
          Ladycontinent commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea-I do plan on giving a list of sites I’ve found helpful on my journey over the years. I only plan on laying down basics.

Where do you think ai gets its info Hmmmm. After all those years you must have the basics by now. Hmmm
        1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
        1 sf2000 @200 watts
        2 philzon @230 watts
        2x4x5 tent
        3x6x8 closet
        Fox Farm ocean forest
        Black gold for seedling
        3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
        RH 40-60
        Temp 70-80
        Feeding with FF trio with molasses
        calmag and a little flower fuel
        Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

Are you ready to start growing cannabis at home? It's surprisingly easy when you stick to the 10 simple steps in this grow guide. Start growing today!
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Teach them the most important discipline, patience.

Comment

Very exciting that you were able to get your employer to sell grow equipment. If I were you, since it sounds like you work at a hardware store not a grow shop, I would focus on making sure you know how to use all of the equipment that you sell and use resources like GWE for the 'how to grow' portion. Otherwise you can go down rabbit holes and overwhelm people.

However, if you want to give advice on how to get started, I would focus on the WHY things are done as opposed to HOW things are done. For example, why is it important to maintain a certain temp or humidity? Why is it important to not overwater (or over love in general)? Why is it important to not give synthetic nutrients to an organic grow? Heck, even what's the difference and benefits/drawbacks of synthetic vs organic? There are college courses dedicated to growing cannabis so don't feel like you need to give (or would be able to!) a newbie all the info that they need.

Two most important things to tell them: 1) You will f-it up. Possibly multiple times. Your grow will never be perfect which is good because that means you're learning. Chill out and roll with it. 2) Always focus on the basics in roughly this order: temp, humidity, watering regime, ventilation, circulation, lighting, nutrients.

Try to think of the questions you had when you started. Simple things like 'what do plants eat?' (Remember, they don't eat the nutrients...for a plant, light is their food.) How much/how often should I water? How long does it take? Etc.

When teaching a newbie, it's important to not give them all the information that it took you years to figure out. Not because you don't want them to know it, but because they won't be able to process it all.

I used to teach people how to fly airplanes and the first lesson I'd give once we were in the sky is - "push down and the houses get bigger, pull up and the houses get smaller" and "keep the shiny side up". And that lesson blew their minds believe it or not!
              Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
              Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

I would spend more time looking up how to build a high quality grow room, so much hardware would be needed, you could put a package together.

Without a good setup you can not control the environment( shed/loft grow space)

you need a setup that keep the running cost low and keeps the temps/humidty good.

After they have a good grow room, they can move onto the next stage, the setup(soil, coco or water system)
                fans, filters ducting, lights(correct size light for the grow room).

imo, it's a lot of basic things you need to get right.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X