Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering conundrum

Hi guys,

I have two Bruce Banners growing in super soil but one just struggles constantly. They’re in the same size pot, get the same water etc.

I was trying to work out if it could be over watering or under watering and worked out it was the latter because the leaves felt papery. I thought that puzzle was solved, but once again I’m proven wrong and I’m hoping your expertise might pinpoint me to what could be happening.

the Problem plant is the one up top, after watering it’s wilted leaves start to gain life for about 4-6 hours, then it would start wilting again.

prior to watering: wilted, 2hrs later: less, 6hrs later: back to more wilted.

6hours after watering:

A couple of hours after watering (it was more wilted prior):

it definitely doesn’t need more water, could it use less water but more frequently? The soil was dry prior to watering, it’s in a 2 gallon pot and getting about 800mL of water.​

Is that white thing bothering it? Maybe swap positions with the other one that has the green thing stuck into it and see if the problem follows.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

That’s a dehumidifier, it’s not on at all. And I did have their positions reversed until yesterday.

Comment

Howdy Bmacco, I'm not a soil grower, but have You checked the pH of the soil mix, in both pots? Maybe the soil mix is too acidic or not acidic enough for the plant to take up the nutrients? I don't me check the runoff, I mean get a test kit for the soil and test a couple of samples from each pot and see if there is any significant differences in the pH.
        Good luck with Your grow.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Hey! Thanks for the tough problem. I like plant puzzles but sorry for your issue .It's really hard to tell but is your soil very wet or dense? Also it appears that your pots may be too small. It could be root bound. I have experienced this myself and it is frustrating. Does a fan blow directly upon the plant? Lastly, you may have a PH issue as DW2 suspects. At least check the input and output of each plant separately.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, the soil is about 6.2 for both. I measure the water pH going in to make sure it’s between 6 and 6.5 every time. I use a soil pH pen for the soil measuring (glass ones).

the fan rotates gently, the one up top doesn’t hit that plant at all.

Both plants are in fabric pots, they got transferred to that pot a week ago from a 1gallon (now 2).

Comment

800ml a day and the soil is drying out b/w waters. Sounds ok but your plant looks overwatered for sure. Are you getting runoff?
              Your pH going in seems low for soil to me but the problem it's showing doesn't appear pH related.
              To be honest it's growth rate looks to have been similar to the one beside it.
              Likely it will pick right up and go crazy soon. I think your problem may be minor and go away soon.
              My plants mid to early veg often look like that before they jump to attention

Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
              Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
              Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
              Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
              Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Is the pot lite before you water? Lift the pot (both) before watering and after to get the feel of wet/dry soil. I have had a plant that needed water twice daily, remember each plant is an individual.
                In veg I would hold the PH at 6.2-6.5 and in flower 6.5-6.8
                Also have you looked for bugs with at least a 30x zoom?

Comment

Just transplanted a week ago? Photoperiod or auto ? 2gal abit small for photoperiod at least for myself it is. Could be shock or as the others have said too wet? How far away is the light?
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hi, just thought I'd update this. In the end even though both plants come from the same seed family they're vastly different. I think the wilty one didn't like the supplemental light.

Currently this is 4 weeks after I switched the lights to 12/12. It was looking pretty good, this is my first scrog and 2nd ever grow in a 3x3 tent. I'm not home for weeks at a time, so the scrogging could have been better that's for sure.

I was noticing either light burn or nute burn so I've switched the lights down, but now I'm noticing that one of the two plants is developing purple leaves. This is the non-wilty one from the earlier posts, it looks healthy otherwise. I searched through various posts and haven't really found out a cause except maybe currently it gets fairly cold here at night and does reach 18 degrees in the tent for an hour before lights come on. Doesn't look like a Phosphorous deficiency either based on pictures, and pH in the soil still stable at 6.4 in both plants. Could also be a UVA light that I'm running, but curious why it hasn't affected the last plant, and only 1 of 2 with this one.

Comment

• Bluey
                      Bluey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your color looks natural and healthy to me..and the cold can bring that out more.

Looking at your pics I think they need higher temps and more light...nothing drastic but I think they'll pick up and bit with that

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could be a strain thing i would'nt worry about those fading to purple, man i don't know how folks do it leaving plants for long periods you must have a good garden helper? They look fine to me just crowded

• Bmacco
                      Bmacco commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can't help it, I work away for weeks at a time. It gets watered for me when I'm away so I tend to do things when I get home. Both are Bruce Banners, but only one is going purple weirdly enough. Hopefully they'll thicken up a bit over the next few weeks.

So it just completed 7 weeks since lights switched today and the two plants look completely different. The one with yellow leaves is the one in a 7 gallon pot, the other in a 10 gallon.

the seed vendor says 10-12 weeks flowering time, but it looks like the one with the yellow leaves will get there early, while the other barely has trics so that has me a bit worried.

I’m wondering if it’s because I veg’ed for ages that’s why the smaller pot possibly ran out of nutrients and started turning yellow earlier?

Comment

• Bluey
                      Bluey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Different strains? Different light levels?

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmmm so many i've seen same strain but different pheno type. I've got 2 same strain photos outdoors one is short and wide the other is like a christmas tree getting taller. They vegged in 1gal pots for 7wks until i hardened them off. They both have same size pot now outdoors 15gal. I think the fade on yours is special I personally don't see much wrong she may finish early and so what i prefer staged harvest and not trimming all plants at once.

Same strain, light levels (same tent), same feeding schedule but quantity different because of pot size. I actually thought they mixed up the seeds when they shipped it

Comment

So it's just hit the 9th week since lights have turned and I'm a bit worried that there's barely any trics visible (or much smell) coming from plant 1. I just got home and over the past couple of weeks it has thickened up a bit, but yea still doesn't look like it's anywhere near ready?

What do you guys think? The seed site says 10-12 weeks flowering, so there's a good few weeks left but I would have thought it would be showing trics by now?

P.S. this is in super soil indoors, there's water + fuvic/humic, water + mammoth, water + bloom over the course of the week.​​

Comment

• Bluey
                        Bluey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Keep it going. Number of trichomes is in no way reflective of its strength.
                        I see a lot of white trichomes. It's looking good.

These plants confuse me to no end

Plant 1: Posted pics above the other day and it actually looks like it's growing little leaves so it's thickening up. But I took the Loupe to it today and the trichromes are all white and even ambers. The guides here say it's time to harvest? But growth wise I would have thought it's still thickening up (week 9 out of 10-12 per seed bank).

Plant 2: Lots of yellow leaves around and trics, actually looks like it's ready to harvest but through the loupe it's still clear pistules.

Do you guys think I need to harvest plant 1 now?

Comment

The plants look good , a bit hard to see the trichomes in the pics.
                        I still see some white pistle hairs on the buds, generally these should be all brown.
                        It’s unusual for a seed bank to quote longer than needed flower times usually it the opposite.
                        A common rule of thumb is if you think their ready to harvest wait a week. Last grow I did this 3 times.
                        Keep watch your getting close, we’ll done
                        KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
                        Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
                        Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
                        Maybe some compost teas
                        Blumat watering system
                        Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
                        3x4x6’ tent
                        Photontek 465wpro
                        6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
                        Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X