Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting seedlings in Coco - need help

Did I make a mistake?

Fairly new grower (3+ years). Always have grown in FF Happy Frog. Trying something new now...

Purchased Mother Earth 70/30 and Canna A&B. Pre buffered with Canna CalMag. pH around 6.0. Grow room temp about 72. Humidity around 50%. Trying to start seedlings in Solo cups with that coco. The seedlings have stayed the same size for about 1 week now. And they just don't seem to be getting any bigger. I am trying not to overwater them. I admit to not knowing at all what I'm doing. I am now giving about 4 oz of water mixed with nutrients every day. 3ml of A & B into 2L of water (info from their website).

In the past I have always started the seeds in a rapid router. Maybe I should have started the seeds that way this time as well. Any advice you can give me. Did I make a big mistake by trying to start these seedlings in the coco?
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

I started all my seeds in coco this grow. Aint much difference than soil when their a seedling. When I started giving nutes i notice a big uptake. They all look a little yellow except the one that hasn't got it starter leaves. Coco dries out fast from my experience so far. How close is that light 12 inches. A little intense wouldn't you say.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right - they all look yellow. They have been getting nutes but I don't see much progress in their growth. The lite is at about 12 in - power is set to 50% though. I think I may water them a bit more.

I do the root riots because you can keep them all at the same moistier ,from your pics the bottom right cup looks moist the other 3 look dried out , I think 4 oz might be a bit much for their size but 10 others might say your good so if it works, I put my seedligs under a t5 at about 6 inches so they dont get to leggy good luck
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jarhead (devildog, leatherneck ect... Ooh Rah brother!) I did take the picture before giving them the morning water. I've always used the plugs in the past as well. You're right - very easy to water using them. I want this method to work. I guess if it doesn't I will know for the next time.

You want about 80% RH at that stage
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Not sure but nutes at this stage is a bit risky, good water is all i do till it takes hold of life as it knows it. LOL

Comment

I sprout seeds this way: 24 hrs in water, then rapid rooters until the leaves get to the edge, transplant to a pot in the coco mix they’ll be in for the rest of the grow under t5 light at 2”. They stay there until the leaves get to the edge of the pot, then into their final autopot home. In the past I’ve used half-strength nutes cause coco has none. This grow I’ve started them with 1/4 strength nutes. The girls like it better. For me, measuring the EC of the nutrient solution has helped a lot.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

They look good...Yes the Rapid Rooter is hands down the way to go...IMO...this time I could not find them so settled on something similar...smaller and drys out some what even in bag...just had to work with it.. those seedlings might do a little better with more RH..
          Note: one can really judge the root development if you use fabric, I tend to let the roots start growing out the side of my starter pot before transplant,
          Last edited by changeofpace2014; 03-09-2023, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X