Question about trimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Question about trimming

I started this grow just under a month ago and I am feeling a bit rusty, I want to cut off the lowest set of branches but they are pretty large already and I am wondering if it is okay to prune where I have indicated in the attached picture, I assume this lowest set of branches will not produce much come flowering time and its leaves are getting in the way of new growth higher up on the plant. Tomorrow night I will be watering and thought it would be a good time to remove this lowest set of branches and fan leaves right before I do, just looking for the opinion of some more experienced growers first as I am not entirely sure if its a good plan of action. Thanks in advance yall and happy growing!

I haven't used any extra nutes yet but was thinking I should add some starting with this next watering to aid in recovery if I clip branches tomorrow.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SleepyTibbs; 02-20-2023, 07:20 PM.
    - 4'x4'x6.5' tent
    - 2 Cookiedawg, 2 Ice Cream Punch, all photoperiod, Sprouted Jan 25th
    - 5 gallon fabric pots raised about 1.5" for airflow and easy runoff cleanup
    - 2 spider farmer SF2000 at 85% 2ft over front plants much closer to back plants
    - Soil is FF Ocean Floor bottom 1/2 or so and top is FF Happy Frog
    - Water in veg was about 6.6PH and 78 degrees Fahrenheit, 6.3PH for flowering
    - RH usually around 50% Temp ranging from 78 Fahrenheit to 83 Fahrenheit
    - 6" Oscillating fan clipped to tent pole for air flow within tent
    - 6" carbon filter and fan for exhaust, 4" carbon filter and fan for intake​

I would generally say go for it. But...
    You didn't say what type of plant or if it is photoperiod or auto flowering.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Blowdout2269 oh yeah thank you, this one is a feminized Ice Cream Punch from greenpoint seeds. I have 2 ice cream punch and 2 cookiedawg growing right now. All photoperiods
      - 4'x4'x6.5' tent
      - 2 spider farmer SF2000 at 85% 2ft over front plants much closer to back plants

Comment

Having had the same situation many times I have played by trimming and not trimming. my experience has been that the lower branches typically dont produxce as much, and when i simply train from the upper branch like Nebula's tutorial I allways seem to end up with a more controlled and larger grow. same decision for me right now, and i am gonna trim - the lower branches to be trimmed will go to a friend for cloning. good luck.
      A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• SleepyTibbs
        SleepyTibbs commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had some space for clones id try my hand at cloning using the trimmed branches. Thanks for the input for sure. Just waiting for the soil to dry up a bit more before I trim, then ill add some 6-4-4 nutes to the water to aid in recovery

I would have no hesitation removing popcorn producing lower bud sites. On every grow I remove everything under four as soon as I get a mature fifth node. That being said, I grow autos and you can't screw up an auto. Pics below show before, during and after.

Comment

• SleepyTibbs
        SleepyTibbs commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the pictures showing how you do it. Gonna have to add a few grommets to my fabric pots for LST. This is my first time trying topping out and I initially was only going to top and trim without additional LST but one is getting tall already, pretty much begging for LST lol especially since I accidentally fimmed 2 and they took longer to recover. One of the ones I fimmed is actually growing 4 new colas though instead of just 2 which is a happy accident

Originally posted by quirk View Post
      I grow autos and you can't screw up an auto.
      Umm, what? Lol

Comment

• SleepyTibbs
        SleepyTibbs commented
        Editing a comment
        lol I definitely screwed up the autos I grew but it was also my first grow. Little ladies only produced like an OZ each because I messed up on so many factors. PH was most likely always too high, they were overwatered, humidity was never high enough, temperature was always a bit high and on top of all that I tried to LST and defoliate so they stressed out too much. So far on my first photoperiod grow they are responding much better. Already bigger than those autos were at harvest. Granted my control over the environmental factors is much greater than before

I just poke holes in my fabric pots like an inch below the rim. Check out the link below. I'm reusing them too.
      🙂

Comment

Grommets are functional.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          wish I'd seen this two days ago but I am going to put them into the next bag

• PRIMO
          PRIMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, call me lazy, you won't be wrong. I just open a paper clip a bit and stab it thru the fiber where I need an anchor.

Just finished trimming and watering the girls. The Cookiedawg in back left is looking a bit wonky but she actually looked worse off a few days ago before I turned up the intensity on the lights a bit so Im hoping she makes up on some growth using the extra nutes in this watering then I can cut those deformed leaves away. The Ice Cream punch from back right was the one in the picture I started this post with and she's my best and brightest so far, hoping she does well after the trim. The Ice cream punch from the front left is one I accidentally FIMMED 5 days ago when I topped the 3 healthy ones and its got 3 colas coming up now I think but was definitely slowed down by the miscut. The cookiedawg from front right was also FIMMED on accident and slowed down as well but has 4 new colas coming up. I will do some LST tomorrow when my coated wire and grommet punch arrive, maybe not on all of them but definitely on Ice Cream Punch from back right since its much taller than the ones up front. Im kinda just letting the cookiedawg from back left do its thing i dont really want to stress it anymore when it doesn't look too healthy already.
        Attached Files
        - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

This is the fimmed Cookiedawg
          - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

This is the fimmed Ice cream punch, although that 3rd one in the middle might not grow into much from the looks of it
            - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

this is the Ice Cream punch from the original photo now that shes been trimmed
              - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

and last and probably least, the wonky cookiedawg
                - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

Lookin good!
                  Now just wait and see how they react for a few days. That way you'll get an idea for what you can take the next time you defoliate. Remember though, less is more. Take like half of what you actually want to, lol. You can only snip 'em once, but you can never put em back!
                  ✌🙂👍

Comment

Originally posted by Blowdout2269 View Post
                    You can only snip 'em once, but you can never put em back!
                    ✌🙂👍
                    lmao I learned this lesson the hard way with my first autoflower grow I lollipopped the hell out of them right before flower and they did not enjoy it.
                    - 4'x4'x6.5' tent

Comment

• Blowdout2269
                      Blowdout2269 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will still lollypop an auto. Even do light defoliation.
                      Its just has to be done extremely tactfully.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X