Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it OK to Top and or FIM an Autoflower? (Use Node 5?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it OK to Top and or FIM an Autoflower? (Use Node 5?)

I am growing a Bruce Banner Autoflower in a 2 by 4 tent, using a 5 gallon smart pot with BushDoctor's CocoLoco soil. So far all is going great, the plant is just starting to grow its 6th node.
    I have read that Topping or FIMming may not be appropriate for Autoflowers. I have also read articles and advice that is OK to Top or FIM an autoflowers.
    I understand that toping at the 5th node will produce 10 colas (two colas for every node under the point of topping). In other words, every node under the point of Topping will produce two colas. Apparently Toping at the the 6th node seems to be the point of less return because since the higher number of colas, the smaller they become. So node 5 is what I have read is the optimal point to Top for some expert growers.
    I am tempted to do the toping instead of FIM at the 5th node because it seems easier for the grower and then control the growth using a SCROG, to ensure that all 10 colas get a good amount of light.
    Can anybody confirm, deny or explain why is not a good idea?
    Additional question, I read that the very first node, the one closest to the soil, produces the weakest and smaller two colas. So it occurs to me if toping at the 6th node and cutting the two stems off the first node would result in 10 colas that are closer in size to each other. I am worried that toping and cutting the stems on node 1 could be too much stress for the plant. I don't know if this trick would replace the smaller weakest colas of the first node with bigger ones produced at the 6 node and just get a betterr yield by avoiding the two smaller colas from the first node.
    Has anyone tried toping on Node 6 and cutting of the stems on node #1, will still produce 10 colas?

Thank you very much for your time in reading my question..

Ahh one of the most argued questions concerning autos. Short answer is yes you can. Long answer is why take unnecessary chances. Autos as you know are on the clock from the time the seed pops. If it's really healthy you may not notice any slowdown in growth at all when topping. But sadly too many times the plant shuts down for a few days at a minimum due to shock. That's valuable veg time lost not to mention you removed the most productive node. And no it does not delay flowering if you top. Every time I see a topped auto that turned out well I can't help but wonder how much bigger it would have been.....
    I Digress but seriously it sounds like your first time with autos so I would recommend letting the first one go all natural or you can try lst just go slow. Start tying her top down as soon as they have 3 sets of leaves. Go slow and pull it down a little each day till it's the same height as the side branches. the side branches will catch up. As far as cutting off the first set of branches don't remove anything till the plant is at least 5 weeks old. No leaves no branches. Nothing. Biggest mistake people do with autos is messing with them. Then If they are weak remove them but as long as they are doing well leave them. And try to plant autos in their final pot. Transplanting is more unnecessary stress for no reason.
    Good luck.
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• 2by4Rich
      2by4Rich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for your answer. So you are recommending not to top but instead do the bending of the main Cola and do the LST, Is that correct?
      BTW, I did germinate the seed in a PeatMoss pellet in a Nursery, Once the seedling was about 4 inches, I took the peatmoss pellet and planted it in the pot with MYCORRIZAE just where the roots of the seedling were coming out of the PeatMoss. I didnt notice any stress because it just took off. The nursery allowed me to give it more humidity.
      Last edited by 2by4Rich; 02-14-2023, 05:11 PM.

I just don't know that it's necessary... Here's over a dozen colas from just lst.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• 2by4Rich
      2by4Rich commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, your plant looks great. I didnt understand your answer. Are you saying you didnt top? and that you got 12 colas by bending the main cola and then continue with LST technique? I see you are not using a SCROG.

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      No topping so the main stalk continues to grow. I just bent the stalk over and continued LST. I didn't quite get the main stalk at 90 degrees though. If you look you may be able to see an arrow shaft that I used to support the stalk as it grew out past the edge of the grow bag. I probably didn't want the stalk to be horizontal anyway as the top of the younger shoots at the end wouldn't end up as high as the older shoots. Even so, if you find the arrow, you'll see that the apical cola isn't quite as high as some of the others. Re SCROG, this plant supported itself though there is a scaffolding of kabob skewers out of sight that did the second level of LST.
      Last edited by 90Gizmo; 02-15-2023, 08:28 AM.

Going2fast has given you the best advice you can get. (No offense 90Gizmo. Great pic!)

This is the suggestion that I would take if I were in your shoes. Why risk it? Let them girls get tall enough to manipulate and just bend the main stalk over at a 90° angle. From there you can spread out and tie down each branch as you see fit. The main goal is the most even canopy possible and good light penetration to the lower flower sites.
    Good luck! 👍🙂✌
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely. Going2fast gave some real advice. Experience shows. I let nature take the wheel for my first grow too. You need to know what's "normal" for a plant before you can know if you made things better or worse.

Best thing to do is try it. Everyone’s set up is different so it may work for you but not others

Comment

I fimm mine so far with good results.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brucilda.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	593951 I wanted to thank you all who replied to my first post. I ended up not doing a Fimm and went with LTS bending the main Stack but couldn't do an arc because I was afraid of breaking it. It grew 16 colas and now I am monitoring Trichocomes to decide when to harvest. BTW, I gave the plan the name "Brucilda" because it is a Bruce Banner Auto.
        Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Good job looks great, give it at least a week

With photos I top after it grows 6 nodes and top back to third node. With autos I top at the 3rd node as soon as feel it can be done. I feel he earlier topping is less stressful and with the short growing time. Of course all this depends that plants are healthy

“Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
        ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X