Brown spots on fan leaves week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Brown spots on fan leaves week

Hello all. I have been lurking here for a few weeks, and was planning to post today under the Show your grow thread, but found some new foliage issues this morning.so I am asking for help instead.
    This is my third grow. First grow with some unknown seeds led to some good bud, but only 4 oz off 4 plants. With all I have learned since on GWE, I'm sure I could have had at least double that amount with some training and defoliation. My second grow was 2 autos that I stunted and got 1oz combined.
    Current grow 2 Chocolate MInt OG 2.0 (Humboldt) and 2 seeds from my first homegrown. Light on 18/6. I am having issues with 3 plants (only posted pics of 2 plants), all in fabric pots in Happy Frog, using Fox Farm nuts and supplements, a little lighter than the schedule on their website. I performed HST following GWE manifold technique on 1/31. The first day their growth slowed a little, but have continued to grow pretty vigorously since then.
    On 1/26 brown spots were on some leaves and worsened on 1/27, At that time I thought it might be calcium or phosphorous, and I did give CalMag and BigBloom for the phosphorous. I always pH my water. This was the first time I pH'd the run-off- 6.5 in and 5.6 out. New growth looked great 2 days later I explained all this to the guy at the hydro store who told me not to worry about the run-off pH or the plants, he thought they were doing well. This morning I found a lot of new brown spots formed overnight, and a few leaves look mis-shaped. At this point I am considering a flush with a higher pH water, maybe 7.
    There is clearly a lot of knowledge and experience on here and I'm hoping some one can steer me in the right direction before I screw up worse.
    Of note, the Fox Farm website has a different feeding schedule (and products) for soil vs Happy Frog. I am using the nute schedule and products for soil in Happy frog. I also grew the autos this way and had similar leaf issues. A different guy at the hydro store told me using the FF soil products and schedule with Happy Frog was fine, but with these return issues I am questioning his opinion.
    My fourth plant (lower left) is in Pro mix HP+. This plant, while growing much slower, has not had these issues.
    Also note the towel hanging on the right side in the picture of all my plants. I live in the northeast US, and the air is dry in the winter time, especially when the furnace runs a lot. It was down to -9 degrees F here last night, and my basement humidity is down to 21% today. I have been hanging a wet towel in a pan of water front of my air intake vent, and this increases my in-tent humidity by 15-20%. Hope this can help someone!
    Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Welcome to GWE! Looks like you doing good so far. I do have a couple of thoughts for you.
    Most problems are a result of improper pH. So that's usually the first place to check. If your input is 6.5 and the run-off is 5.6, it is likely that the soil is to acidic. So idk about what this hydro store guy said, lol.
    Also, are you supplementing Calcium and Magnesium?
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Any gnats around?

Comment

On first look they look good to me but on closer inspection the left hand side lower fan leaf is showing quite a few spots. Not sure what it is, possibly a minor deficiency or pests. Plants are doing well though. Overall looking good.

Edit. Your pH run off is too low so slowly bring that up and 20% humidity will cause you serious issues down the track. The wet towel won't bring it up enough..get yourself an ultrasonic mister and bring that humidity up above 40%
        Last edited by Bluey; 02-04-2023, 04:19 PM.
        Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
        Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
        Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
        Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I have been using CalMag weekly, which is why I was worried about the run off pH of 5.6, as I was suspecting lock-out even though I watered with pH corrected nutrient solution.
          No gnats or any other pests.
          Thanks for the quick responses!

Comment

Maybe add some lime as a PH+ buffer.

Comment

I hope to not hijack this post, but I also have had the brown spots all over my plant. I determined I needed to add the Cal-Mag supplement to my watering. But this leads me to another question as I am close to harvest, can I trim the spotty leaves and save them for canna-butter? or should I toss them?
              Any thought or input is welcome.

Comment

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't see why not. I use all the non woody foliage for butter and only exclude the woody bits because they make it more difficult to press the butter out of the soft stuff.

• kingfish
                kingfish commented
                Editing a comment
                iwanttoknow, since you're close to harvest, I would just pitch the fan leaves. There isn't much good stuff in them anyway. The sugar leaves around the buds go in the hash bag for future use.

• Blowdout2269
                Blowdout2269 commented
                Editing a comment
                I pitch fans, but will keep spotting or discolored sugar leaf for my extracts along with anything else that won't tear cheesecloth.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X