Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this plant old/big enough to clone?

Hi all,

I'm still a relative newbie, 2 reasonably successful tent grows under my belt. I was all geared up for my 3rd, had my lady vegged out and ready for the ScroG net when our new baby arrived. During the whole period of delivery/hospital/bringing baby home I completely forgot my green baby in the tent ​​

When I finally realised I and raced out to my tent I was met with a wilted mostly dead and dry plant. I gave her a good water and hoped for the best, but alas there were only a handful of rather sorry looking shoots that perked back up and even those had half dead yellowed leaves. I really wanted to keep the strain going so I tried to salvage half a dozen clones before composting the poor thing, and in the end only one of the clones survived which is what you see in the pics.

I'm looking to get another harvest sooner rather than later, so I'm wondering how soon I can take clones from this young plant? It's about 3 weeks old from taking root in the jiffy (pot is a 2gal for size reference).

My idea was to take a few at the earliest opportunity (will be when I tidy up the lower parts to start training for scrog), then grow one clone out as a mother and hopefully get some clones off that up and running while the one in the pics is flowering.

​​​​​​​Advice and thoughts of all kinds are welcome!
    2.5x2.5x6' tent
    2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
    Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
    2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
    Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
    Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

Good for you for saving the plant, Dad! And congratulations on the new baby. I have learned that patience is a major virtue if you want healthy clones. Wait till it's raging and then take cuttings at LEAST five inches long with a few nodes each. Each day it stays as a mother will be half a day you actually save time in the cloning period. Obviously don't let it get too big

Comment

Congrats! The saved one looks nice and healthy.
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

If she's healthy, take em.
        Back to playin in the dirt!
        Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
        I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let her grow out a bit more so I have some good sized shoots to take. I'm quite amazed that it's growing so healthily considering how sorry it looked as a clone. Wish I'd taken a pic or two of that stage but I was in panic mode to salvage her haha
          2.5x2.5x6' tent
          2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
          Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
          2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
          Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
          Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

Comment

• Blowdout2269
            Blowdout2269 commented
            Editing a comment
            Smaller cuttings tend to root faster.

I have grown clones from plants that were only 22 days old. Used the #0 n 1 node shoots. It can be done. That said, in the future waiting a little longer to take a bigger shoot way have taken less time for the clones to develop into a full fledged plant.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• transcend
            transcend commented
            Editing a comment
            I would also be taking from the lower nodes, I remember reading something about they are more likely to root or root faster (one of the two) the closer they are to the base of the plant. Then again there's people saying tops are the best.

I'm likely to top some of the higher stems to spread the canopy for the net, so might be a good time to compare the two schools of thought.

If the lower branches are grown out, will side branches off them serve as a good source to clone (provided they have a couple of nodes on each)?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X