Bad seeds or bad grower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad seeds or bad grower?

Hello my friends, so this is the second pair of seeds, two different strains, that sprout by and grow for a week then then just stop growing. The soil is fine the ph is perfect everytime 6.4. The lights are good.. I have a seed from another source that's doing fine. Any thoughts
    ? The one in the little green pot sprouted Nov. 3.

Attached Files

How often are you watering them?

Comment

The one in the green pot is 2.5 months old and is only that big?! Something isn't right for sure.

Seedlings do poorly for a few reasons but the main ones are environmental: watering practice (this is the biggest one), temp/RH, lighting, and amount of nutrients available in the grow medium. If all of those are dialed in, maybe it's the seeds...

To tell if it's the seeds, the biggest thing to consider: where did you get them from? If they're from a friend who doesn't know where they're from or they're bagseeds, that could very well be your problem. Bag seeds and seeds of unknown origin have no guarantees regarding genetics even if they came from a plant with known genetics. If you got them from a reputable breeder (especially any mentioned on growweedeasy) then either reach out to them or go back to the above paragraph and dial in the environment.

Based on how many posts you've contributed, I'm assuming you have a lot of experience so I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out!
      Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
      Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

Looks like watering problems. I changed from plastic pots to smart pots and found myself not watering enough. I invested in a Hydrometer and found some areas of the pot was water really well while other areas where dry. One of the best investments I've made.

Comment

what kind of soil are you using? That is an S-ton of perlite in there, do you have any organic matter? Nitrogen? What's your nutrient schedule? The fact that they sprouted and grew fine for a week and then stopped growing implies nutrient deficiencies, they are definitely super yellow like they don't have enough nitrogen, and this could be to overwatering or not having nitrogen in the soil. Temperature and humidity are also key, if those aren't dialed in the stomata aren't opening up and the plant isn't bringing water into itself which means it's not bringing nutrients into itself either,. I just learned recently that water movement through plants isn't like a pump system, the plant isn't sucking it from the roots and pumping it up its body through some sort of mechanism. It's more like a siphon, with the opening of the stomata being the start of the siphon, but that requires a warm enough temperature for the plant to transpire. Or something like that! Haha

Comment

• BR2K
            BR2K commented
            Editing a comment
            Fascinating explanation, especially the plant's water absorption system. Thanks!

Hello my friends, and thanks for the feed back. To say the least, I don't know what he'll is going. This isn't my first grow. Never had any problems before. The soil is foxfarms happy frog and ocean forest 50/50 with about 25% added organic perlite.. lights are set at 18/6 temperature reach about 80 max with light on and about 68 with them off. RH 50-60%. Water every other day. Ph 6.4. No nutes yet since the soil is hot for the first month. The seeds that have failed are from pacific seed bank. The one plant that is thriving is from grower choice. I contacted pacific seed and of course they said they haven't had any issues or complaints .the two in the 5 gal pots are godfather og. Was looking forward to those.
          Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm mine will struggle too since i don't have consistaint temps in the winter i'm running 18/6 with some autos right now. My light is hung 33" from top of my plants but i'm manually rising the pots closer i don't use yo yo's to elevate my lights. I'm moving them up higher to the light today. I'm at 100% brightness. Are you using both bloom an veg switches? Are the lights to close or to much power? I'm starting to give 1/2 dose of grow nutes cause they are over 3wks old. All i have is worm casings in my soil mix no added nutes from soil bag.?

Huh, weird. Your set up and description of conditions sounds great. To me, the slight tacoing of the leaves implies too much light or heat, and the way the leaves look sort of wilted downwards imply too much water or too much light. The yellow green color implies a nitrogen deficiency throughout. Too much light can also make the chlorophyll explode and turn leaves less green, but usually that is a bleaching or a browning not a lightening. Besides the seed company, there is another difference for the one that is doing well. It is interesting that the one that's doing well is in the middle, between the two lights, has that always been the case or have they been moved around? We need Mr.furley He's like the Angela Lansbury of dead plants

Comment

Old seed stock, or bad seeds. I don't waste my time if they look like that after a month. Just pulled a 1 of 3 that was less then vigorous.

Typically if its on the grower this as a root problem most likely from overwatering, Coco Loco for the center of pots would have helped with the hot soil/small plant happy frog is hot (tip: ocean forest is not so)

Franklin Lansbury, huh? I was thinking edward
            https://youtu.be/sH0dZDnD_GI
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

How do you guys control humidity. My humidifier is out out the tent, so when the room heater comes on it tends to drop the humidity into the upper 30ies. I'm hesitant to put the humidifier inside the tent, because it mists upward where the lights are.

Comment

• 3Berries
                3Berries commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a 3x3x5ft tent that I use small ultrasonic misters in. And a bigger one on the intake of a 2x4x6ft tent. Then use a humidity set point for the fan as well as temperature.

Well, l haven't given up on the little girls just yet. And I'm seeing signs of improvement! I dig out my old fan and using it to pump humidity into the tent.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello my friends, another week has pasted and my little girls got there groove back! They are starting to grow like "normal", lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yay!! Thanks for the update and glad to see things are going well! Nicely done!
                  Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
                  Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

It can be bad seeds I think! Ones I was in such situation!

Comment

Plants are looking good! Put them on a 6/2 light schedule and they love it!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X