Patience is not my thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patience is not my thing

I have old seeds, not sure how old but lots of them. Trying to germinate and having issues. Not sure if I am not being patient enough or having seed issues. What I have tried in groups of 4:
    1: soaking for 24-48 hours then to hydro set up with 4 hr lights for germ approx 10 days ago, nada
    2: soaking in tap for 24 -48 then to paper towel
    3: soaking in purified H2O + peroxide for 24-48 hrs then to paper towel
    4: soaking in purified for 4 days.
    Some posts say not to not soak more then 32 hrs while others say soak until tap root. I did see 1 article in high times that says it can take 3 days to 3 weeks. Thats the only thing I saw that went up to 3 weeks. Almost all seeds have sunk to bottom (all but 1). Some of them were stored in fridge while others in house in air tight jar in dark. Also saw a couple that seemed to develop small air bubble at Tip. Still nada. Any thoughts? Please and thanks
    Last edited by NewANDlearning; 01-02-2023, 02:29 PM. Reason: Forgot one batch had peroxide added. Tks for your feedback/ support

I've had really old seeds that were not stored properly take 10-15 days to pop a root using the paper towel method.
    I place several seeds in a damp(not wet) paper towel, on a plate, inside a ziplock bag(unsealed), then place it in a warmer area. Usually on top of my cable box, lol. Unless they start to mold, you might aswell leave them for a while and see what happens.
    Hope you can have some better luck friend!
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Howdy NewANDlearning, I had some old seeds and did have similar problems with getting them to sprout. I now store the seeds in the freezer, wrapped in foil, for a couple of weeks before I sprout them. When I get ready to start the seeds, I first move them to the fridge to thaw out, then I rinse them in H2O2 (to remove any pathogens), and then soak them on a paper towel using regular tap water pH adjusted to 5.0 to 5.5 ph. I place the seeds on a folded paper towel and add only enough water to soak the rowel and bring the water in contact with the seeds (not covering the seeds). I covet the tray with plastic wrap (to prevent it from drying out), cover the whole thing with aluminum foil and place it in a warm place. It can take from 2 to 4 days before they sprout, so be patient.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I just sprouted some with a weak solution of H2O2 and Potassium Phosphate and it made a big difference It think. 23mL of 3% per liter and 1 gram of the KHPhO4, I used rain water, and then soaked on a paper towel for three days. Great results.

Comment

We all seem to have our schtick. I rough up the shell of my seeds with an emery board and soak them in slightly warm water for 24 hours. Then the paper towel and a warm dark place for as long as it takes. Keep them damp, not soaked. Your germination rate will be less and take longer than fresh new seeds. If I start 10 old seeds and five germinate, I consider it a success.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

If patience is not your thing than growing great weed won't be your thing either. You need to be ready for a 4 month commitment .
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• NewANDlearning
              NewANDlearning commented
              Editing a comment
              Ready for the 4 month commitment but would feel better if seeing process. Lol

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X