strain growing characteristics site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strain growing characteristics site

am having trouble finding a website or even publication that gives strain growth characteristics.
    what I am most interested in is strains that do not like to be trained or manipulated.
    can someone make a recommendation?
    thank you

Hmmm can't say i've ever thought about that type of strain. Why not just let them grow without training? You could do that but then better to do so outdoors no height restriction unless you got and old unused costco building?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Well I have been reading quite a bit about strain characteristics. I have yet to find any mention of what you seek.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I know that some strains respond to LST better than others.
    I would like to try LST for the first time on a strain that willl respond best.
    sometimes on strain reviews. or the information on the seed site may mention this information but a bit of work there. just thought some site would give more detailed
    growing characteristics.

am looking forward to trying LST for the first time!

Comment

• Blowdout2269
      Blowdout2269 commented
      Editing a comment
      In my opinion, you could LST the hell out of any plant with a good amount of patience and a little finesse.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Umpa lumpa is a good strain to LST so is Blueberry

Nobody says you have to train any plant; it's an indoor grower's preference, used to make the best use of indoor space and light. You don't want to train any Indicas that are short in the first place, because training will make them shorter.
    Last edited by alltatup; 12-30-2022, 03:49 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      That's correct answer for the original question was a strain that doesn't like training .

• BlueberryGIrl
      BlueberryGIrl commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup alltatup just wanting to give it a go.

All strains that I am aware of respond well to LST. There is probably some outlier out there but I am unaware of it.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

That's a good question that doesn't have an exact answer.

The reason that there's no exact answer is that like many others have said, you can train pretty much any strain in any way you want. Usually, the issue isn't the strain that doesn't like a particular type of training, it's the experience of the grower.

That sounds like I'm being a butthole, but let me explain:

- Training is inherently stressful to a plant, even the most gentle of training.
      - Before training a plant, it should be healthy and growing vigorously with the environment all dialed in.
      - During the training, it's easy to go too fast and stunt the plant or stress it too much
      - After the training, that's sometimes when the poo can hit the fan. Or a grower gets worried that it's growing slowly or stunted or they don't adjust watering schedules (ie. after defoliation), etc. and they overcompensate which causes undesired outcomes.

That's why it's more the experience level of the grower as opposed to the strain. A few things to keep in mind with training:

- If it's your first time, just like with an edible for the first time, start low and go slow. Begin with gentle, low-stress manipulation and see how the plant reacts.
      - As you get more confident in 'reading' your plants you can get more aggressive with your technique or try a different more aggressive technique altogether.
      - Realize that any training will slow/stress your plants a little bit (or a lot a bit) and the goal is to balance the benefits of the training with the slower rate of growth/increase in stress
      - After you do anything to your plants, be patient with them. It's like when you go to the gym and rock out on leg day....you wouldn't expect to run a marathon right afterward, but with consistent training that is appropriate as well as increased/decreased in intensity as necessary, you'll be able to finish that marathon.
      - Lastly, it's completely possible that you'll f-it up. Maybe you break a stem. Maybe you remove too many leaves. Maybe you realize you could have done more than you did. The most important thing to remember is that you learned something and you'll use that knowledge on the next grow and almost anything can be remedied with time and patience. Sure over-training may stunt the growth or add a week or two to the grow. But you're not in a hurry and at the end of the grow you'll have weed! Afterall, if you were in a hurry for weed, you wouldn't be learning stuff on these forums, you'd be driving to the dispensary.

If you want a rule of thumb, generally plants that grow taller can be trained in more variety of ways. Plants that are growing fast and healthy are also more versatile when it comes to training. Just keep in mind, the main reason for training is primarily to manage the height on indoor grows so that all the bud sites get as much light as possible. Training can also increase yields indoors but that's not because of the training directly, rather because of the first reason: more bud sites get more light which means higher yields.

Feel free to experiment! Keep notes and let us know how it goes!
      Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
      Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• BlueberryGIrl
        BlueberryGIrl commented
        Editing a comment
        AGH thank you for the good information and positive encouragement!. I have an opportunity for a longer grow. so I thought it would be a good time to try some sort of LST. I do recall in the past some seed description/characteristic fact sheet noting a likes to be pruned does not like to be touch etc...maybe I am daydreaming. I have been growing for five + years now with the past 3-4 grows being disastrous. I take it as a lesson on just plain bad luck. I never really had an interest in LST, I usually defoliate and leave it at that. I will look into blueberry as SoOrbudgal mention and i like the sound of a taller strain. cheers.

Hey BlueberryGIrl Interesting topic. I’ve a few grows under my belt. I’m amazed at all of the different types of plant training that we see on here. My first couple of grows I didn’t do any plant training at all. Now, I top each plant and defoliate. That’s it. I know this sounds silly but I don’t want to injure the plant and can’t make myself do any more than that. One of the things I really like about this site is the encouragement one gets to try different methods. Seems like everyone kind of develops there own style.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Best database for strain characteristics is seedfinder. If the breeder didn't published the information it won't be there. But if they did then surely you'll find it there. Better to navigate by breeder and then strain

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X