No announcement yet.

Orange zkittles breeding project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read on male parent and back-crossing importance..https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru...le-caper-seeds.

Comment

Haven't updated this for a while.

Okay to catch everyone up I have been working on crossing Skittles with hog orange barb to make an orange Skittles. I had a lot of success with the f2 crosses I made recently, I had one phenotype that was super orange and expressive and one that was more like orange plus funk. Even though the first one was exactly what I was trying to breed, I actually like the orange plus funk better and I'm naming it taste the rainbow.

I took a couple of clones from a current grow that I have going on, cookies and sour d, reversed them for pollen in order to do an open pollination and continue to work on the orange Skittles project. I ended up tossing the cookies because the sour d is turning out so nice and I thought it would be a perfect cross with my orange Skittles to make a sour orange Skittles.

So now I have nine quart size containers in a 2x2, I've kept them intentionally small by pruning them back repeatedly. I'm not looking for lots of bud, just seeds, and you really don't need too many buds to get a bunch of seed. I've got white widow, a sour d, an American cookies, a taste of the rainbow f2, a orange Skittles f2 (auto), a orange Skittles crossed with red CBD (auto; was going for a red color in the orange zkittles with this cross, but it seems to have dropped the red color and the scent is all from the red CBD which is very floral and not what I was going for), a super skunk, and black Jack. So all of these will be crossed with the sour d.

The pollen started releasing from the sour d a few days ago and I've been doing open pollination. I think the only ones I'm really interested in are the sour d crossed with taste of the rainbow and the sour d super skunk cross.

Should have seeds in about 5 weeks. If anyone's interested let me know, I'm more than happy to send these out for free to anyone here I recognize and maybe even some people who are new.
      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep on truckin Franklin crossing my fingers your crosses get crossed LOL

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you have out done your self with the sour diesel x (taste the rainbow ob x z) cross...that will be some special smoke Franklin.

• Franklin
        Franklin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Appreciate it, I'm definitely looking forward to the cross

Franklin which cross is the smoothest to smoke? F1, or the S? wth some funk?...I think the funk comes from the orange barb with tangie heritage..

Comment

They're both smooth but the f1 is the one that keeps me coming back for more, trying to find that certain thing that seems emissive

Comment

thanks franklin for the feed back... perhaps look into the heritage of the original strains you used to cross and maybe you will find a clue to the missing trait...

Comment

Franklin a little update - You might have to refer to the list but number 1#, 3# and 5# were chosen. The 1# is the smallest of them but the F2 appears to be pretty robust and the 5# is going to be a monster..I have been using GH Floral Nova....The s.c x c.c.k ..x b.b cross is a bit touchy as they both require more cal mag. I was wondering when your zkittles cross turns red / purple?
            Attached Files

Comment

That's so great man, I'm so glad that you're growing these out. None of them should turn red or purple, that's not a characteristic of the Skittles. I think it's called Skittles because it has a fruity and sweet taste. Maybe you're mixing this up with another grow that I've done, which is a red CBD crossed with AK-47. That one turned out really well, I think I have a few seeds that it left if you want some. I did get one, but only one, seed from the red CBD crossed with my orange Skittles cross, trying to decide when and how I'm going to grow that out to keep the genetics.

Comment

I had to pull some, including the m.k x w.w...she was a monster even in early stage but I will get back to her....

Comment

Franklin took some pics this morning of the F1 and S1 progress...Noticed the node spacing is like a clone rather then the side by side that grows out from seed..I thought it was worthy of mentioning...Have the pics on phone but need to move them to p.c so I can upload......

Comment

Huh, interesting. Can't wait to see my babies growing up. Did that node spacing happen right out of the gate? My older plants usually start doing that, which is why clones do that too because they are older. Maybe ten nodes up or so.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes the node spacing is not as much as a clone but when comparing it to a another plant it is very obvious. Further details the F1 has been peaky unlike the S1 which grows more robust, however the F1 does flower earlier...Sorry I have to take some more pics and move them to the pc so I can upload...

Interesting comparison between your F1 and S1...on one hand the F1 flowers early when comparing the pistil development to the S1 but the S1 grows with more vigor.....I started giving them a transition feed but they are screaming for more nitrogen so maybe I will alternate when feeding them..

the leaves on them both are Freaking Giant when compared to my blueberry clone.

Yeah man, the these are heavy feeders for sure. And I hear you about leaf side, the OZ x Sour d cross I'm growing in my backyard has massive, head-sized fan leaves right now.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                      Editing a comment
                      my little blue berry looks like a miniure.....older then all the rest, stalk size is a bit smaller then your cross, Fixing to upload pic for you.

A few pics, I included the blueberry so you can see the leaf size....Note your F1 is Early Flowering,,I suspect 2 weeks ahead in the bud let development. That is a phenotype one would want to have growing up here, not sure how she will do in the cold....maybe a little blueberry would help...Frost comes in Oct here..and usually there will be a few days of it..just long enough to snuff anything out then it warms back up....past couple of years any way..
                    Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to know about how these are developing. Hard to predict what the fall weather will be like, Oct. here was dry last year as i recall. You might get lucky changeofpace2014. I like your garden beds.

• changeofpace2014
                      Editing a comment
                      The two weeks ahead ship has Sailed...I bet the F1 is closer to to three weeks ahead...This pic was posted on 7-26 and I never take a pic and upload, sorry but they kind of hang around a few days or so before I move them to pc and upload...I am pretty sure the F1 was already flowering around 7-19...This will most likely be the first outdoor grow that was able to finish or dam close to it... Your S1 is lagging way behind and my bb x (sc x cck) as well as the bb are still thinking about it....

Nice! Thanks for posting. Yeah, about 25% of the F1 should be auto flowers and the other 75% are probably early flowering due to an auto in the grandparent line. I think I might have mentioned that in the materials at some point. I did that on purpose because I also have short summers that I work with and usually My plants develop bud rot so I wanted to speed them up a bit. My ultimate breeding plan will get away from any autos but should retain the fast flowering aspect.

Comment

Here's the sour diesel x orange Skittles cross. I started it late in the season, partially on purpose because I didn't want it to get too big, partially because I was out of town or busy. The fan leaves are huge. I've never actually been able to successfully harvest outdoors anything that isn't an auto because I always get bud rot due to our climate here in the northwest. This plant has a little bit of auto in its genetics so we will see if that makes it flower faster, that was my goal. I think my next cross will be to cross this with a red CBD by orange Skittles cross that I have so I can reinforce the orange Skittles genetics but also get a little more CBD in there. I like my weed, relatively mild and very tasty. However, that's a plan for next year, most likely.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                        SoOrbudgal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very healthy looking Franklin appears were heading back up in the 90s an higher. Are you seeing any preflower?

• Franklin
                        Franklin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        SoOrbudgal No preflower yet but I suspect any day now, definitely had it's stretch and it's slowing down

Oh yeah, and the little rinky dink below it is the scarlet Galaxy from Going2fast. Unfortunately one of my cats chewed on it when it was quite small and it got pretty stunted. It smells amazing though, very fruity.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                        Editing a comment
                        yeah all our cats and beagle hound love to chew on cannabis...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X