No announcement yet.

Orange zkittles breeding project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeds are coming along, maybe another couple of weeks. Thai peppers are also ripening up.
    Attached Files

Comment

• changeofpace2014
      changeofpace2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      so your growing peppers side by side your girls? My wife asked me to did up some jalapenos plants this past fall and bring them in. I put together a cfl strip with about 250 w 5 ft long...Not worth the effort, i should of tended to them more....the thing is they brought in fruit flies, and i was worried they would find my grow area on the other side of the house..

Beautiful bud there Franklin,,looks like your cross is a very colorful one...bonus

I had a few males in the tent with the girls, and pulled them out one at a time when I was 100% sure....left the one donor in there but at that time the girls were just starting to flower so i kept the male cut way back and collected pollen for a couple of branches om each plant. I just hope the only seeds are the planned ones...

• changeofpace2014
      Editing a comment
      i bet them peppers are Smokin Hot...i like the mexican chillies to cook with...made some fabulous Habanero Mango wing sauce one year.

I was just thinking about how to manage the males in future...maybe separate grows not tents. if one was serious they would keep males to effectively back cross but i have just used seeds and the males from those beans.

Comment

Yeah the pepper was just fitting into some extra space I had, I grew Thai and ghost peppers outside last summer, kept some seeds of each and threw the Thai in a pot when I started this grow. Would like to grow the ghost inside too, I imagine it could get super hot and have better yields than outside in the cooler wet climate I have. Made some fermented peach and pineapple ghost hot sauces that kick you in your face.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        i bet thats not all it kicked..

My strategy for breeding is to pop lots of f1 crosses, take two clones of everything right before 12/12 and put in separate veg tent, veg the clones out until you have a good idea which of the flowering plants has the best traits. Keep the best clone based on the flowering tent and use CS on it, cram it into the flowering tent about 2 weeks before flipping the veg tent to 12:12. At this point the flowers in your flowering tent will be so far along they won't get seeded, or you can just move it back in to the veg tent right before you switch the veg tent to flower.

This approach gives you control over your "male" so you know exactly what characteristics you're going to get from both plants, unlike usual breeding. I suppose if you really wanted to you could clone that male plant indefinitely for a back cross, I personally don't do back crosses because of the hassle of keeping the clone.

Comment

• Blowdout2269
        Blowdout2269 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, color me ignorant... But, how else can one produce feminized seeds without the use of CS or STS?

• BU2B
        BU2B commented
        Editing a comment
        Blowdout2269 Rhodalization. Let your flowers go long and most will produce feminized seeds. There is some debate about passing along hermie traits. I find it not to be the case. I think Rhodelized seeds are a natural process not a genetic flaw. I’ve never had a feminized Rhodelized seed hermie on me. Maybe some have.

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        interesting BU2B

Whether I chose one or multiple depends on timing but usually multiple. I bought a 2x2x5 for fifty bucks new and just split the air vent and moved the exhaust fan outside the tent so both tents use the same exhaust fan so I didn't have to buy a new one.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        Editing a comment
        let me try again. for example you have 6 clones you want to keep, from the results in the flowering tent..do you select only one of them to process with CS and pollinate the other 5 or are you applying CS to all 6 clones..just curious

I've done both. Usually just cs to a few branches. So in your example I would have 12 clones, two of each, and CS one of each. By the time pollen is showing I usually know which one I want to keep from how the parent clones turned out. But that's more than I usually do.

Comment

So I was entertaining the purchase of a cannabis breeding book, but then I read a blog post...Those books are so over priced, and the same "everything" applies to plant breeding..I was able to download a few plant breeding pdf...From what I can tell, pollen from the parents will be required to eventually back cross and pollen from self will be required to reinforce the existing pheno type that the plant is expressing. Not Real Far...The Means to Store Pollen correctly and have it available is crucial..

Comment

Hey Franklin how tall does your cross grow, not including the pot height, and did you manifold or lst to keep height down? How many weeks after the flip?

Comment

Depends, the orange barb parent I grew outdoors and it was quite large, but my outdoor plants are always large. The crosses have stayed relatively small, I topped and LSTd, they're manageable for sure. I just chopped the seeded plants a few days ago and tried to pull out seeds wet but it's a hassle, drying them now because that's easier. Looks like I'll get 1 or 2 hundred seeds from each!

Edit: 25 percent of the seeds from this current f2 cross will be autos, which are always small. I also have the f1 cross and none of those should be autos, if I'm doing my punnet square correctly
            Last edited by Franklin; 01-31-2023, 07:19 PM.

Comment

That is good news...My plants are 19 1/2" and that includes a 10" pot, so it is possible to keep the blueberry, thai x cck,really short...The sativa lateral branching is much easier to deal with, when using extreme LST. I looked at my grow pics in show your grow and for that I used manifolding but that was it..I can see the thai in the background is quite a bit taller then the various cross but it was under 5 ft..

Comment

Really looking forward to growing that Thai out, it definitely has some romantic allure because of it's history. Been scared I don't have the space for it but figure I can always keep cutting it back pre flowering, and super crop post flowering

Comment

Welp, I harvested my seeds, figure I got about 400 or 500 from each cross. I got far less from the Thai chili peppers. Now going to turn my attention to other projects but first I've just cloned a sour diesel to create pollen and chuck at a wide variety of plants including a couple of these seeds that I'm popping right about... Now. I like the idea of sour orange zkittles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice seed run..looks like you did whole plant with that number of seeds? Peppers ....I had some pepper plants in side too, but they only produced little jelly bean size peppers, not to mention they attracted bugs...I pulled them a month ago to stop the bugs..I bet they are Smoking Hot.

Franklin did you use one parent to pollinate or did you C.S both.plants?
                    Last edited by changeofpace2014; 02-03-2023, 08:21 AM.

I would grow both (thai and thai x s.c) out...Never did see the thai x s.c grow out...It would be a nice thc boost for the thai, but unsure if I would want the resin packed thai or thai with the thick frosting s.c puts on...O s.c reacts well to 3 days dark before harvest, thai not so much.

Comment

I pollinated the whole plant but they were little dwarf clones thrown almost straight into flower. I only pollinated with the OZ no 1 because I was greatly preferring the terpenes on that one via smell. Ironically or not, I prefer the smoke on the no2. But the no1 was exactly what I was breeding towards. Orange candy.

Comment

Pulled the trigger and ordered 6" 12g silver rods. 99.999 for collidol silver..

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X