Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very first small stealth cabinet - fitting parts inside, reflector types etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very first small stealth cabinet - fitting parts inside, reflector types etc.

So far all I have is a wood cabinet - 23" x 21" x 40" (58 x 52 x 100cm). White interior.

The plan is pretty standard:

- only 1 or 2 plants in fabric pots
    - one or two small oscillating fans (6" or 15cm)
    - 250W HPS 2100K 32000lm bulb
    - 250W dimmable ballast
    - air cooled reflector
    - exhaust fan (about 200 m3/h or ~120 cfm)
    - carbon filter (rating slightly higher than the fan)
    - passive intake hole(s) at the bottom of the cabinet
    - no outdoor venting if I can avoid it (would be too compromising, couldn't mask it well enough)
    - bare minimum ducting

I've done my research, but I still have a few questions:

1) if the cabinet's width is 23", it's a bit too narrow to fit the filter (7"-10" or 18-25cm), the air cooled reflector (17"-21" or 44-52cm) and the exhaust fan in a straight line. Can I just do this?

...which leads me to the next question...

2) should I bother trying to fit it all inside a cabinet of this size *OR* should I get something slightly bigger just to avoid future hassle (plant too close to bulb etc.)? the biggest I can go without attracting attention is about 28" x 28" x 47" (70 x 70 x 120cm).

3) (see pictures below) the first one is $35 and the second one is $90. Is there a noticable difference in efficiency? Again, I'm on a preeeetty tight budget.

4) is the 250W HPS the only bulb I need? I read somewhere that a CFL bulb might be good for germination/sprouting and I'm not sure if it's true.

It is very difficult to control heat in a small area.. I should of purchased a 6" in 400 cfm in line fan for my carbon filter but I only went with a 200 cfm 4"in inline fan. ( few years ago) - You can run a 6" fan at half power...Please be mindful your hps will produce substantial heat, for example I purchased a mars recently, and had to add heat sinks, because it is tucked against the wood joist and that could be flammable...make sure you do not have any fire hazard.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
      changeofpace2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      You will be happy with your setup and harvest once it is dialed in...The DIY tent will take a bit of tweaking, once it is on line.

Yeah, you're going to have to find a way to vent. The heat in that cabinet will get to be to much. Not to mention the humidity, especially in flower. Believe me, I had to work through the same problem.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Yup a small cabinet like that can have all kinds of humidity and venting problems. Did you ask yourself what if the plant grows beyond say 60cm? With the distance from the light you will end up with light burn amongst other things because you can't move the light up any higher.
      Having said that you would have to make sure you are training the plant to grow out instead of up and that leaves only room for one plant.

I mean you have all the proper tools except the grow space/room...why not just get a proper grow tent? Nowadays you can get a decent tent for $50-$100 for one or two plants at a time.
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

With that setup you will get one plant in there at the end. Get a tent you will feel better about it. Easy to take down and move. Good Luck
        1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
        1 sf2000 @200 watts
        2 philzon @230 watts
        2x4x5 tent
        3x6x8 closet
        Fox Farm ocean forest
        Black gold for seedling
        3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
        RH 40-60
        Temp 70-80
        Feeding with FF trio with molasses
        calmag and a little flower fuel
        Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

You need to cut out one of the oscillating fans, put the ballast outside the enclosure if possible as well as the exhaust fan with a carbon filter. This MAY allow you enough room for your grow while reducing heat. You would be better off with a bigger enclosure if you could manage it. Grow only small plants or small autos that will only be about 18" tall. Good Growing.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

So, a big cabinet is a must. I see. I guess I can get something significantly bigger after all.

Anyway, can anyone answer question nr.3 about the reflectors?

Comment

• OldManGrower
              OldManGrower commented
              Editing a comment
              I have no idea of the as too the utility of these reflectors. But, all a reflector is just a shiny surface behind the light. You could probably make one if you choose too.

• 90Gizmo
              90Gizmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems to me that ppds of lights with reflectors are a little stronger in the corners. I make my own out of disposable aluminum roasting pans because it shades my eyes quite a bit when I'm working on the plants.

I have a 24x24x36" tent. Used a 4 " exhaust fan on a temp controller and a 100w light. It was axial fan with a speed control and set on low speed. Worked great for starting and early veg.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X