Who owns/controls General Hydroponics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who owns/controls General Hydroponics

I love the growweedeasy site. I contribute monthly through patreon and come back regularly for updates and to get info at the drop of a hat. So I'm not writing this lightly. I've mentioned it before in another post or 2 but thought I'd start a thread specifically on the subject because the latest blog post addresses nutrient brands.

Bayer is at the top of this corporation food chain. They own Scotts who owns Hawthorne Gardening who owns General Hydroponics.
    BTW, Bayer merged with Monsanto (who owns Scotts, et. all). So Bayer and Monsanto are one and the same.
    If you think this corporation doesn't keep a heavy finger, at the very least, on general hydroponics please consider its history and present practices. From controlling seed stock (farmers aren't allowed (or can't because of genectic mod) to collect seed for next year's crops, insecticides engineered for specific crops bleed out into the wilderness and destroy flora which starves fauna. They created one of the largest superfund sites in the US where people still live and dye, Anniston, AL.

Monsanto is responsible for the likes of DDT and Agent Orange. "From 1935 until 1971, without warning its neighbors, Monsanto disposed of tens of thousands of pounds of PCBs by dumping them into creeks or burying them in and around Anniston."
    They have created biological “dead zones” where nothing grows...and people still live.

Why the f would you use its nutes? There are so many other offerings out there, many of which are entities unto themselves.

We used to use GH until it was bought out by that corp. Now we used nutes from a family owned co with a clean reputation, another one of GWE's suggested nute brands.

And yes, I wish GH weren't suggested on the site at all.

End of rant/wish, for now.
    Last edited by Gracey; 11-02-2022, 07:43 PM.

Correct, Correct, Correct...... it has been brought up and discussed more than once on the forum.

It's like talking about politics round here,
    gets disgust,
    gets heated,
    someone goes......really!!
    someone gets butt hurt,
    someone gets flagged
    And...
    In the end someone show you how good their Miracle Grow weed is because they can and its all they know, then we all go back to a happy little forum each doing our thing.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Mr.furley
      I like it.
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Interesting. I have given GH a look as far as nutes goes, but after reading Gracey's post I won't. But I do use other GH products. Looks like I'll need to make some changes. I don't/won't fault anyone for using the grow products of their choice, or for their politics, because we are each individuals with our own unique ways, but I do appreciate knowing how businesses conduct themselves and treat the environment. I understand about rallying support for or against a product because boycott's do work, some better than others, most with the idea that if enough people boycott something it will cease to exist, go away, or the bad actors will changes their ways. My guess is GH will be around for the long haul. But not in my garden.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I certainly don't want to bring in politics. I don't expect anybody or anything to take down the likes of monsanto. I think they are too powerful for that to happen.
          But we can respectfully use other companies.

I just want to add background info to help others make informed decisions. I can't imagine using them, in fact, it literally fills me with dread to think about it and how it's impacted...everything.

I think it's worth saying again because I respect GWE so very much, I wish it wasn't even mentioned in the pushed info side of this site. Otherwise, GWE is the most informative info site about growing I've found.

Comment

I went organic so my local chemical company Bayer fka Monsanto isn't involved at all.
            Coconut Grove
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

This is incorrect. It's true that ScottsMircaleGro owns General Hydroponics. However, Beyer/Monsanto does not own Scott (and by extension GH).

Edit: It's also worth noting that Monsanto didn't merge with Beyer, they were acquired by them which is a huge difference. So even if Beyer purchased Scott (and therefore GH), Beyer would be the one making decisions, not Monsanto.

Comment

Daayyymn...
                Owned by the admin! Lol
                Good bit of knowledge (without doing the research myself)for those concerned though.
                Back to playin in the dirt!
                Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
                I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

I'm sorry I missed the last 2 comments
                  Thanks Sirius for your reply. So good to know you're listening. And while I have your ear, a personal thanks man for the hydro gardens you've grown and shared and the tons of other useful info.

I know acquisition and merger have separate definitions and you made me look and look and... as part of the 2018 deal, bayer promised to keep monsantos 9000+ workforce completely intact. They didn't move, just took bayer's name. according to wiki​ / this

Oh dear I seem to be going down this hole. From 2015, "...As part of the extension, Monsanto also renewed and expanded the terms of its marketing agreement with Scotts and provided preferred access to Monsanto’s R&D pipeline for lawn and garden."
                  And today from bayer's R and D pipeline page.​​

It just seems like scotts and monsanto/bayer are still very much intertwined and for that reason I find other options more appealing and think others would too. Even the president of the hawthorne division is also vice president of scotts, son of scotts CEO, and the grandson of miracle grow founder (I think that last sentence makes me want to feel better about hawthornes mission)
                  So am I really incorrect?
                  Last edited by Gracey; 11-17-2022, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X