Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capillary Mats? Anyone try these?

Capillary Mats Anyone try these?
    The page says, ‘This is a growing system popular in Europe’… I like the idea of the upper algae prevention cover. That was one reason I started using Rain Science bags in my garden, those are still as white as when I bought them. I got some 7 gallon ones for my next grow. I have a 20 gallon food grade barrel with screw on lid and brass spigot up high on a table next to my tent that could easily be tapped into a system like this.

The clay bottom feeder valve is smart in detecting the need for more water. I’ve heard of the clay carrots before.

https://www.sustainablevillage.com/b...ry-mat-systems
    https://www.sustainablevillage.com/s...ounting-blumat

Click image for larger version  Name:	60C0A7E2-A36B-4256-8E25-7A808BF803E5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	577843Click image for larger version  Name:	29D55ADC-CC1D-49C2-B1E3-4786C294DAD9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	577844Click image for larger version  Name:	1B791CE9-CA5C-45F3-82AF-D866FFF27B55.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	577845Click image for larger version  Name:	73BDB808-FF75-425E-81DA-3E203807B4F0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	577846

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

I have never seen these before. Color me intrigued!
    That's all I got, lol
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

They remind me of the trays that feed water from the bottom but those have a value on each of them. This system seem more distributed due to the pads.

Equipment
      1st Grow
      Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting system. Now i've always heard MJ should not stand in water for long periods of time do to root rot, especially if it's warm humid climates. But in a temp controled enviornment who knows? Would'nt keep the roots too wet all the time?

Yeah, but could it care for a tray of clones or seedlings equally?
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I’ve seen another capillary system by AC Infinity promoted lately for fabric pots. It uses wicks and a reservoir. I have no experience with these, but the few reviews that I’ve found have been positive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFEAFFFE-E976-47B6-82CB-5F2FD9151368.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	577899 Click image for larger version

Name:	67F9DF88-BCD2-413B-8FF4-FAEBBCF7CCF0.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	577900
        2x4 AC Infinity tent
        Timber 3VL (320 watt from the wall. (previous HID grower)
        FFOF Soil grower, General Hydro Flora Series nutes
        AC Infinity fans (exhaust and oscillating pole fans)

Comment

Howdy MrPNW, that may be O.K. for clones and/or seedlings, but will it handle a full-sized growing plant? But Thanks for passing on the information about it, it always helps to learn about new ideas and items. Thanks!
          Good luck in your growing.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Originally posted by Blowdout2269 View Post
            Yeah, but could it care for a tray of clones or seedlings equally?
            The photo with the green tray looks like seedlings. You would obviously need the small plants in there own tray with a controller since the water needs are different. I’m going to try and find a cannabis company using these to see how they use them.

Equipment
            1st Grow

Comment

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
              Howdy MrPNW, that may be O.K. for clones and/or seedlings, but will it handle a full-sized growing plant? But Thanks for passing on the information about it, it always helps to learn about new ideas and items. Thanks!
              Good luck in your growing.
              Many of plants in these nurseries on this page look full size to me.

Equipment
              1st Grow

Comment

I just got this in an email and thought I would share.

Hand Watering vs. Blumats

Blumats = A 24.7% Cannabis Yield Increase!
                We know that soil moisture levels influence crop yields. But how much? This scientific research project compares hand watering by experts with over 10 years experience to a simple, automated irrigation system.​

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	585033

Name:	image.png
Views:	317
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	585034
                Fig. 4: Day 60 of flower of experimental trial. Note that beds containing Blumat irrigation systems are on the right, and beds irrigated by hand are on the left.

Results: Blumat Watering Systems increased yield by an average of 24.7%

Dr. Ben Higgins, Tad Hussey, and their team led this experiment at Gold Leaf Gardens in Lacey, WA. They split 112 cannabis plants into two groups. Keeping everything the same except the irrigation method, they had expert growers with at least 10 years of experience hand water 56 plants and they used an automated Blumat/BluSoak system for the second set of 56 plants.

Studying the correlation between constant soil moisture content and crop yield (in terms of above-ground biomass), they hypothesized that the more consistent the soil moisture level, the higher the yield. Their hypothesis was correct. We summarize some of the details below and this link takes you to the complete research description and results​.

Equipment
                1st Grow

Comment

• Blowdout2269
                  Blowdout2269 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very interesting.
                  I wonder if the way that I'm mostly bottom feeding my 16 one gallon clones in this SOG thing I got going could have a similar effect...

I was just reading that and logged in to post the link and I see I'm late to the party as usual. OTOH, I am using the Blumat Tropf with distribution drippers (3 per 5gal and 2 per 3 gal at least that is what I'm doing so far). I can say it does take some fiddling to set up but once you're dialed in it just works. I went ahead and bought quick connects and shut off valves so I can isolate any pot (3x3 with 4 plants) and pull it out and trim or whatever maintenance needs doing. When I'm done I purge the air from the system, top off the reservoir and back to life already in progress.
                TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
                EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
                AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
                IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

I checked out every kind of self watering system I could find. Made my own to work in a pinch but ultimately settled on the Auto Pot system. I started off with one 4-pot system in my 3x3 tent. Liked it so well I bought another 4-pot system for the 4x4 tent and cut the 3x3 back to a 2-pot system because the plants grow so big they filled the tent too well. Its a wicking type, bottom feed, gravity powered, reservoir system with no moving parts, that is easy to maintain and it just works. I've grown my best bud using autopots. The plants water themselves. Good luck with whatever you decide.
                  Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                  Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                  Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X