Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make sense to change the indoor lights to run at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Make sense to change the indoor lights to run at night?

So im doing a grow right now in basement and noticed the temps so far drop down to around 66. I imagine as winter comes it will get colder. Would it make sense to keep a 18/6 schedule but shift the hours so the lights are on in the night since thats when its most cold?

I have the same issue and that’s what I do. It helps keep temps within range buts that’s with an hps lamp.

Comment

Makes perfect sense. Why waste the free heat from the lights? I do this as well as my tent gets too hot in the summer and too cold in winter. The seeds only relate to the light and not the rotation of the Earth.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

cool glad to hear its not a bad idea. Im going to wait til maybe it drops to 60 then ill make the change. Thanks!

Comment

My lights always peak their schedule while I'm asleep.
          Not only does it help with low temperatures during the night, especially through the winter, but I believe electrical costs are cheaper during these hours.
          Though when I switch to 12/12 it leaves me a much smaller window to do my morning check before work, lol.
          Back to playin in the dirt!
          Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
          I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Good idea and watch that the roots dont get to cold in the winter sitting on the floor.
            1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
            1 sf2000 @200 watts
            2 philzon @230 watts
            2x4x5 tent
            3x6x8 closet
            Fox Farm ocean forest
            Black gold for seedling
            3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
            RH 40-60
            Temp 70-80
            Feeding with FF trio with molasses
            calmag and a little flower fuel
            Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

Originally posted by ponzi314 View Post
              So im doing a grow right now in basement and noticed the temps so far drop down to around 66. I imagine as winter comes it will get colder. Would it make sense to keep a 18/6 schedule but shift the hours so the lights are on in the night since thats when its most cold?
              cheaper to grow during off peak hours....

Comment

Yea after monitoring the temp right when lights go off it drops fast. Im debating a 20/4 schedule because the light provides a good amount of heat it seems. Keeping it at 70 degrees which is perfect. Thinking ill do my off time from 9pm - 12pm and on for the rest of time.

Currently i dont run my exhaust fan otherwise it would pull all the cold air in. But i do have a fan inside pushing air around. Is this bad? should i keep the exhaust on at atleast 1 speed?

Comment

If you have the clearance of another 6 inches. I used some large oil drain tubes from Walmart. 50+ quart or so. But they really moderated the temp. Took a good 6 hours to completely cool down. I was running the temps in the lower 80Fs then. I ran out of room and took them out. Really not needed in the summer anyway.

Last winter I made some bucket heaters that wrapped around the outside and had a temp probe in the soil close to the bucket wall. Had them cycling at 72-73F. Worked great. I would use smaller tape next time. This is 4" would go to 3".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bucket heat tape and insulator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	689.5 KB ID:	577707

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                    changeofpace2014 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    a great solution...i will keep that in mind for next

Heat wrap. what a F...n great idea! I will be borrowing it in the spring for getting the outdoor girls started.
                  A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

I did a heating blanket and it was cozy.
                    1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
                    1 sf2000 @200 watts
                    2 philzon @230 watts
                    2x4x5 tent
                    3x6x8 closet
                    Fox Farm ocean forest
                    Black gold for seedling
                    3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
                    RH 40-60
                    Temp 70-80
                    Feeding with FF trio with molasses
                    calmag and a little flower fuel
                    Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X