What % will LST reduce the normal size of an autoflower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % will LST reduce the normal size of an autoflower

If an auto flower strain's size is estimated to be between 24-36", what percentage of reduction will LST have on the size?

I'll take the bait...

I fear this is an unrealistic question. To many variables.
    And more or less just spam
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

My post was not spam or an unrealistic question. Of course there are a lot of variables, but there must be some general estimate of the reduction in size. You obviously aren't familiar with the subject or you would have something informative to add instead of a snarky remark. LST IS going to reduce the size of a plant, that's a fact. I'm just trying to get a general idea of how much it will reduce the size. If you don't have something helpful to add just go burn one and don't comment any further.

Comment

The one on the left is a clone from the one on the right. Same strain of course. First pic is LST version 2nd pic is no training no topping nothing just let her grow. These are photoperiod the first one LST'd branches tied down very young all colas and i'm seeing better growth than the untrained version. I do not see " less " growth on her i see better yield with the training all this is outdoor grown. I'm going to do more LST next summer as i believe i see better bigger colas using it.

I'm for it using LST. P.S. don't be so almighty it does not decrease cola/bud in my view you sir have nothing to show. Experiment yourself and show us what you got.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Ok, well "snarky" was not my intention. Though it does seem like a trolling first post, maybe I was to quick to judge. So, I will continue to try and help.
          My apologies.
          Ok, well a percentage is definitely unrealistic because of the following variables: medium, environment, strain, ect. And by size, I would assume that you meen height, correct?
          In that case height can damn near be cut in half.
          But in terms of size, some good LST can actually just take what you would have had in vertical growth and send it horizontal. Some of us, myself included, tend to just bend autos over in a 90° style. This gives the plant the ability to make every growth node branch a "main" cola type of growth.
          I hope this can help. I'll get you some pics of one example of mine shortly. Maybe some other members have more input.
          Last edited by Blowdout2269; 09-27-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I don't understand the almighty comment. I'm not trying to put down LST, I'm just tryiing to get information. You guys need to lighten up and give me a break. I thought everyone would be helpful, but I just seem to be getting misunderstood and getting an attitude from both you guys. I am a new indoor grower with only two grows of 2 plants each. I used LST on both grows. I only have 2x4 tent that's 5' tall. With the light all the way to the top and taking into account the distance the light should be from the plant (according to Infinity) I only have about 25" that my plant can grow without getting to close to my Infinity LED 260 grow light. Infinity says that 18" is the distance the plant should be during veg and flowering. So, what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I can order a strain that may get to 30" tall and still keep it down to my 25" limit.

Comment

Thanks Blowdout2269, I appreciate the help

Comment

I am growing in Living soil in 5 gal pots and have only grown Northern Lights & Bruce Banner autos so far. Bruce got out of hand because I didn't LST it enough due to minor back surgery. The NL was a beautiful 20" plant after LST and I got about 8 main tops and ended up with 4 oz dried. I wasn't happy with the taste of aroma of the NL even after curing for 6 weeks. Bruce is still curing so I haven't tried it yet. I was hoping to buy some strains with a taller estimated height and train them down to meet my 25" height requirement.

Comment

This is a Chunkadelic autoflower from Humboldt Seed Company. The poor girl suffered under CFL's in my bedroom for the first few weeks of life due to delayed renovations in my grow space. At about a foot tall she was still quite flexible. So I bent her over at 90° and tied all other branches out and down. The stretch is over and she's still only about 20" tall. As you can see, I think it's worked quite well. There is no doubt in my mind that it's yields will be far greater than if I left it alone.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20220924_205452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	960.8 KB ID:	577250 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220924_205314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	577248 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220924_205535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	735.3 KB ID:	577246 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220924_203852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	577251
                  Attached Files

Comment

This chain is like two ships passing in the night. The op is talking about height, not trying to start an argument about "size" or yield of autos.

Truth is you can keep most strains as small as you want if you just keep lst. In your situation I would probably top it when it reaches four nodes (assuming it's healthy) and then keep up with the lst until it is less than half the ultimate height you want at four weeks. Then let her stretch. The topping will help keep it small in height and in my experience autos handle a top quite well, if healthy. Also you could super crop it during flower if it's getting too high.

Comment

I did top my first two grows with no stunting whatsoever. I've seen some people plant the seed in the center of the pot and others plant just a couple of inches from one side. That seems to make sense to me if you weren't going to top. You could just bend the plant all the way across the pot exposing the entire side. If you were going to top I think planting it in the center of the pot would be best. Suggestions?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                        SoOrbudgal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So sorry for the misunderstanding i've read your first question 2 more times now and now see what you asked. Did you get a answer to it? I did'nt see auto flower for some reason so i posted photos, my bad. I would like to say in this other question/suggestion. Once again depends on the strain description from the breeder if you've not grown it then sure it will be shorter but the colas will in my experience grow longer from the branches. Yes i have placed seed closer to edge of pot with photos not autos an LST don't think it matters the seed at all.

It's all good . . . I appreciate all the help and tips I can get . . . and I love to see pics of beautiful ladies.

Comment

In a word yes I exclusively lst autos as I see it as the least stressful method. I start pulling the top down as soon as I see 3 nodes. The earlier the better. Here's a few plants at 25 days and a few at 65ish. Sorry damn short term memory loss. Key is go sloooow. If it's a stout strain like mephisto strawberry nuggets you are severely limited but I was able to get her down some. All of these were kept at under 18" ​ image widget
                        keeping it green with the soil thing
                        love me some frosty autos
                        braap
                        BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
                        Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
                        the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
                        blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

I fimmed and topped my first auto. Ran short of nutes using a new soil and never recovered. Still got 99 grams from it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X