Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't fill up my pots...what to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't fill up my pots...what to do now?

Hey All

Another rookie mistake on my first grow...I didn't fill the pots with enough of my growing medium. Not sure what the best plan of attack is.

Auto's
    I'm almost 3 weeks in, of the 9 plants, 6 are about ready to top and the other 3 will be in the next day or two.
    i'm using mothers earth coco/perlite mix
    3 gallon canvas pots, pots are filled a little more than 2/3rds full. A couple of the plants have lower leaves being impeded by the edge of the pot.

I feel like I need to create more room at the bottom, but i'm a bit nervous about messing with the plants too much. I worry that topping and transplanting might be too much for them. If they were photo's it seems like it would be less of an issue, but since auto's are up against the clock, i'm leaning toward just leaving them as is.

What do you think, do I try and add more of my medium or do I just chalk it up to a rookie mistake and leave them be and accept smaller plants with less yield?

Just fill up the pots on the top and trim any leaves that are touching the medium. New roots will grow from the stem that is newly covered. They will be happier for it, no worries.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• KLAX
      KLAX commented
      Editing a comment
      Ckbrew and all you other growers, do you know if it matters what growth period the plants are in when you add soil? I have a couple of plants (outdoors) that are a little short on medium, but I've been hesitant to put more soil in while the plants are flowering/packing on the weight. I don't want them to start pouring energy into root formation while they're flowering. Any opinions as to whether adding soil at this late date in the growth cycle is a plus or a minus?

Thank you in advance, to all who answer!

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know if it matters or not what growth stage they are in, my intuition says it does not matter. They are weeds, if it were me, I would not be concerned.

Ckbrew is correct. Just fill up the pots without burying the branches. New roots will grow out of the buried stem. I use the same grow pots. Over time the soil shrinks down and I always hold a bucket of soil aside for topping off.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

^^ this
      ^ and this.
      Done many times.
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

I did it as well, fortunately I used 5gal bags.

Comment

I cover up to 6 limbs, they to will grow roots and then act like a plant on their own, a clone still feeding on Moma. Do take of leaf that would be covered.

Comment

awesome...thanks all. Topped off the pots the other day and everything is looking great!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X